2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

WCC: 🏆 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

Team: 🇩🇪 Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Base: 🇬🇧 Brackley, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Team principal(s):Toto Wolff
Technical director:Mike Elliott

Race drivers:
🇬🇧 Lewis HAMILTON 44
🇬🇧 George RUSSELL 63

Chassis: F1 W13 EQ Performance
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo

This thread is to discuss the 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 TEAM
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 05 Feb 2022, 13:55, edited 38 times in total.

El Scorchio

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team

An all British driver line up. Surely missing some obvious ones, but I can't think of the last one other than Hamilton and Button?

AeroDynamic

El Scorchio wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:44
An all British driver line up. Surely missing some obvious ones, but I can't think of the last one other than Hamilton and Button?

Can’t think of another at the moment.

George vs Lewis. What a prospect. I believe fighting an aggressive driver without team-mate respect for the first time in years has woke Hamilton up and shown him he needs to sharpen up his aggression because it’s been blunted being used to fighting team mates and fair drivers like Vettel.

George and Lewis will race with more respect because Toto will employ the same ruthless approach to controlling his two drivers; if you cause a crash carelessly, and become a problem, we sit you out of a weekend. (DNF).

Hamilton: proven race pedigree when it comes to set up and putting the car in a winning window for Sunday, while still proving coompetitive enough on Saturday (like Abu Dhabi, and many times against Valterri)

Russell: fast qualifier. Sunday remains unproven. He did shine in Bahrain 2020 GP but that was using Hamilton’s car and set up if I remember right. In Williams, he has shined In qualifying but on Sunday has struggled. It seems clear to me he can get a good extraction of the car for quali but perhaps less so on Sunday. Perhaps racing with Hamilton and working with Mercedes engineers, he will up his game there.

Ryar

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:33
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia ... 1_Logo.svg

Team principal(s): Toto Wolff (TP)
Technical director: James Allison

Race drivers:
44 🇬🇧 (Sir) Lewis Hamilton
63 🇬🇧 George Russell

Copy paste error? Technical Director is Mike Elliott (one of the?).
Hakuna Matata!

AeroDynamic

Ryar wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 10:59
AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:33
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia ... 1_Logo.svg

Team principal(s): Toto Wolff (TP)
Technical director: James Allison

Race drivers:
44 🇬🇧 (Sir) Lewis Hamilton
63 🇬🇧 George Russell

Copy paste error? Technical Director is Mike Elliott (one of the?).

:lol: Updated 👍🏽

adrianjordan

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:53
El Scorchio wrote:

George vs Lewis. What a prospect. I believe fighting an aggressive driver without team-mate respect for the first time in years has woke Hamilton up and shown him he needs to sharpen up his aggression because it’s been blunted being used to fighting team mates and fair drivers like Vettel.

George and Lewis will race with more respect because Toto will employ the same ruthless approach to controlling his two drivers; if you cause a crash carelessly, and become a problem, we sit you out of a weekend. (DNF).

Hamilton: proven race pedigree when it comes to set up and putting the car in a winning window for Sunday, while still proving coompetitive enough on Saturday (like Abu Dhabi, and many times against Valterri)

Russell: fast qualifier. Sunday remains unproven. He did shine in Bahrain 2020 GP but that was using Hamilton’s car and set up if I remember right. In Williams, he has shined In qualifying but on Sunday has struggled. It seems clear to me he can get a good extraction of the car for quali but perhaps less so on Sunday. Perhaps racing with Hamilton and working with Mercedes engineers, he will up his game there.
I think it's fair to assume that Williams used to set the car up with a bias towards Saturday, which would then have an impact on George's Sunday performance.

You don't get his pre-F1 reputation, or for that matter signed up to a top tier F1 team, if you can't perform across all sessions on a regular basis.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

AeroDynamic

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:37
AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:53
El Scorchio wrote:

I think it's fair to assume that Williams used to set the car up with a bias towards Saturday, which would then have an impact on George's Sunday performance.

You don't get his pre-F1 reputation, or for that matter signed up to a top tier F1 team, if you can't perform across all sessions on a regular basis.
Yes there is that as well but I’m citing what George himself explained about his own Sunday performance relative to Kubica. He didn’t feel as competitive enough, enough of the time, to comment on it. Kubica had a physical ailment and was well past his peak. Latifi is a hard measure for Sunday performance. I’m optimistic he will be good or get good though.

Jambier

Very interesting driver line up for sure, it will be closely looked at what Russel can do.

AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 17 Jan 2022, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Henri

Re: 2022 Mercedes | AMG Petronas F1 Team

I wonder if these tyres are gonna make the cars faster.. because from the video of testing i seen the tyres look to have more grip 🤔

pursue_one's

Russell Reveals His Biggest Karting Rival(Ben Barnicoat)is Secretly Working at Mercedes.

George Russell:
“I’d say my biggest rival in Go Karting was a guy called Ben Barnicoat who came through the ranks with me and he was my rival from the very first championship I was racing. There was always a rivalry, we had quite a few incidents along the way,” said Russell in the podcast titled “My Big Break.”

“Then we ended up being teammates in Formula 3 and became good friends. It’s interesting how these things turn around. He’s actually been doing a lot of simulation work for Mercedes. I’m not even sure if I’m allowed to say that but I’m sure it’s fine. He’s a really great guy and a great driver.”

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -big-break

AeroDynamic

FWIW, Sky F1 have heard noises out of the Mercedes camp that they’re pleased with how their ‘22 challenger is looking. The noise out of Ferrari are loudest at the moment though.

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:27
FWIW, Sky F1 have heard noises out of the Mercedes camp that they’re pleased with how their ‘22 challenger is looking. The noise out of Ferrari are loudest at the moment though.
Hmmm, the perpetual underdog is happy with the car? That looks ominous for the others :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:31
AeroDynamic wrote:
Hmmm, the perpetual underdog is happy with the car? That looks ominous for the others :twisted:
Maybe. My gut feeling is Ferrari are fighting Mercedes this season. But of course, I’m only saying that based on the noises we are hearing. But even before then, I felt like they are the favourites to be at the front this season.

Can you imagine a 4 way title fight? 2 teams with TWO drivers that are likely to push their own team mates as much as eache other? =P~

Ryar

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:31
AeroDynamic wrote:
Didn't things looked ominous prior to 2021 launch? :) Let's see what glimpses winter testing offers, until pants go down in Bahrain quali.
Hakuna Matata!