FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AeroDynamic

Re: FIA Thread

I hope they only remove Massi from the race director post. He has been very good at managing track safety. They should just move him to an accompanying role to a new race director. He is still competent in other areas.

cooken

AeroDynamic wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 16:35
I hope they only remove Massi from the race director post. He has been very good at managing track safety. They should just move him to an accompanying role to a new race director. He is still competent in other areas.
Aside from multiple occasions of allowing cars on track at unmitigated speed with crew and/or recovery vehicles still present...

AeroDynamic

cooken wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 16:55
AeroDynamic wrote:
Aside from multiple occasions of allowing cars on track at unmitigated speed with crew and/or recovery vehicles still present...
Isn’t that more race director role though? We agree he was poor in that role and as I said, he should be removed from that role and repurposed into some supporting role.

But you need someone who checks the circuit pre-event, determines what is a hazard or unsafe, and has it addressed. He seemed to do that well enough. Why create strain on a new race director learning the ropes in that area too, when we can have a dedicated race director who focuses his time and energy on being familiar with the racing rules, and competent at putting his foot down with his decisions and not likely so succumb to pressures that lead our sport into a Massi mess: let them race, no investigation, ‘we went car racing’ :lol:

It would also be a step in the direction of developing a team in the fia race control room.

taperoo2k

The FIA have no real choice but to replace Masi, if Lewis continues or not is immaterial. Masi could make similar decisions in future, and drag the FIA into disrepute once again.

F1 needs a race director that cannot be swayed by the teams, commercial rights holder or anyone else. They must follow the rules as they are set out. Not change them on the fly to make the show look better. Masi is just not capable of doing the job. Charlie Whiting didn't get it right all the time, but he was fair. Which Masi doesn't appear to be when you look back at the decisions he's taken over the past season or two.

From what I've been reading, it's not just Mercedes that have been complaining about Masi.

cooken

AeroDynamic wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 16:59
cooken wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 16:55
AeroDynamic wrote:
Isn’t that more race director role though? We agree he was poor in that role and as I said, he should be removed from that role and repurposed into some supporting role.

But you need someone who checks the circuit pre-event, determines what is a hazard or unsafe, and has it addressed. He seemed to do that well enough. Why create strain on a new race director learning the ropes in that area too, when we can have a dedicated race director who focuses his time and energy on being familiar with the racing rules, and competent at putting his foot down with his decisions and not likely so succumb to pressures that lead our sport into a Massi mess: let them race, no investigation, ‘we went car racing’ :lol:

It would also be a step in the direction of developing a team in the fia race control room.
Ok I see what you mean there. "Managing track safety" I interpreted as part of the race director's scope.

As a bit of an aside, I must say I don't quite understand the "poor Masi" sentiment which seems to be fairly prevalent. He was under a lot of pressure....you don't say? The lead official in arguably the most political racing series? Wow shock and awe. [/sarcasm]
What part of that wasn't in the job description from the start? It's a high pressure job by definition, he knew that when he took it. Being able to act quickly and make sound rational decisions under high pressure is one of, if not the most important requirement for a race director. Giving him a pass because of the pressure doesn't make any sense, it's exactly what he signed up for.

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

wesley123

Ryar wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:56
Isn't this is the approach that Ferrari has taken, firing after firing and look what they have earned out of it.
The significant difference is that you can develop yourself out of it. You can't really regain trust that easily.
Masi has basically told everyone that he can do what he wants to because of catch-all clauses in the rulebook. Not only that, but he has also told the whole field of drivers that what is and isn't allowed will be guesswork.

You literally have no clue what can and cannot be done under this guy, which is precisely the thing that should not be the case under any circumstance in a sport. If this stays the same, you have set some serious precedent where it is okay that the sport turns into some sort of gameshow.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cooken

"recently appointed Single-Seater Director Peter Bayer"

I assume that's about as official as it gets that Masi has been swapped out of his role? Or is it possible that Race Director is underneath the parent Director role?

AeroDynamic

cooken wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 18:39

I assume that's about as official as it gets that Masi has been swapped out of his role? Or is it possible that Race Director is underneath the parent Director role?
I don’t think it means anything of any real material yet. People are comparing an October 2021 document to a January 2022 one.

If you compare January 2021 to the October 2021 document, they didn’t even have anyone named in that position despite Massi’s tenure dating back to 2019:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 2021_0.pdf

Page 1: Single Seater - TBC
Page 12 (Sport Division): Single-Seater - Michael Massi
Page 17 (Single-Seater Department): - Michael Massi (Sporting Matters) / Nikolas Tombazis (Technical & Strategic Matters)

All we’ve seen from the first 2022 document (which will grow and be expanded come February or March like previous years) is the main overall governance structure. We haven’t seen the expanded pages for each department. What we can say, is Peter Bayer will be overseeing the department officially, at this stage? It might be pending an investigation as well.

Until something official is announced and we see expanded pages for the relevant departments post January 2022, I wouldn’t read too much into this yet.

SiLo

It's probably to cover themselves for when they realise they need to get rid of Masi.
Felipe Baby!

west52keep64

cooken wrote:

I think that's a bit of a leap, I don't believe Peter Bayer has the relevant experience to be a race director. I think this is the FIA adding a little more hierarchy to the leadership of F1.

Here is Peter's LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-bayer-962a70/

El Scorchio

wesley123 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 18:37
Ryar wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:56
Isn't this is the approach that Ferrari has taken, firing after firing and look what they have earned out of it.
The significant difference is that you can develop yourself out of it. You can't really regain trust that easily.
Masi has basically told everyone that he can do what he wants to because of catch-all clauses in the rulebook. Not only that, but he has also told the whole field of drivers that what is and isn't allowed will be guesswork.

You literally have no clue what can and cannot be done under this guy, which is precisely the thing that should not be the case under any circumstance in a sport. If this stays the same, you have set some serious precedent where it is okay that the sport turns into some sort of gameshow.
Yup- a lot of the drivers were unhappy after Brazil and his comments that what Verstappen was allowed to do in Brazil wouldn't, or wouldn't necessarily be allowed- but might be allowed- in subsequent races, or words to that effect. Basically offering them no guidance on how to race (passing the buck to the stewards) and what was or wasn't within the rules and they simply didn't know what was legal defence of a position or not any longer. You can't work like that. Absolute shambles. But then again he had Wheatley in his ear immediately with that 'This is all about letting them race' codswallop trying to ensure Verstappen wasn't (although he should have been, IMO, in that situation) penalised for driving someone else 40 feet off the racetrack. As many have said, I'm glad that s*** isn't going to be allowed to happen any more but Masi still has to go, for his litany of bad, inexplicable and plain wrong decisions.

Big Tea

cooken wrote:

I would read that as out ranking him and all other series directors. I.E, gaffer of all the single seat series and everyone comes under him.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 19:15
cooken wrote:

I would read that as out ranking him and all other series directors. I.E, gaffer of all the single seat series and everyone comes under him.
Same. Masi's replacement (or worst case scenario, Masi) will be answerable to Peter Bayer. That's how I read it. It seems like Masi had stronger ties to and was more under the influence Brawn and FOM last season which is probably a clear conflict of interests and may explain (but in no way excuse) the motivation for some of his behaviour.

Jolle

“To review and optimise”

Sounds like the new chairman is not pleased with 2021