FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: FIA Thread

Jolle wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 19:38
“To review and optimise”

Sounds like the new chairman is not pleased with 2021
I get the feeling 'we' as in longer time fans, are not going to like this 'new guy'

Hope I'm wrong
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

So Basically, the FIA conclusion to investigating the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the rules, the use of the safety car etc, will be completed by early February and teams and drivers will be consulted on what the future looks like regarding the governing of the sport (any changes) but the confirmation and approval exercise by the FIA will not be sealed and signed until the eve of the first race in March.

fritticaldi

Who will replace Nick Tombazis ? The Greek engineer who previously worked for Benetton, McLaren and Ferrari. He was responsible for the Technical matters of single seaters. The official statement says he resigned.

Wouter

fritticaldi wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 20:46
Who will replace Nick Tombazis ? The Greek engineer who previously worked for Benetton, McLaren and Ferrari.
He was responsible for the Technical matters of single seaters.
The official statement says he resigned.
Where can I find that official statement? Thanks in advance.
The Power of Dreams!

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 20:26
Jolle wrote:
“To review and optimise”

I get the feeling 'we' as in longer time fans, are not going to like this 'new guy'

Hope I'm wrong
Me, as in long time motorsport fan, had enough of Baleste’s favouritism, Mostley’s grudges and Todt’s back room deals. It looks like we’re in for a tightening of rules and sportsmanship. So far it looks good.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 23:14
Big Tea wrote:
Jolle wrote:
“To review and optimise”

Hope I'm wrong
Me, as in long time motorsport fan, had enough of Baleste’s favouritism, Mostley’s grudges and Todt’s back room deals. It looks like we’re in for a tightening of rules and sportsmanship. So far it looks good.
If it happens that way I am all for it, but I got the feeling he, lets say 'does not take advice of his underlings', but as I said above, I hope I am wrong. I only have reports passed by the press or media not seen any interviews with the man himself

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 00:00
Jolle wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 23:14
Big Tea wrote:

Hope I'm wrong
If it happens that way I am all for it, but I got the feeling he, lets say 'does not take advice of his underlings', but as I said above, I hope I am wrong. I only have reports passed by the press or media not seen any interviews with the man himself
If you look at Mohammed Ben Sulayem other assignments with the FIA, he’s got a good track record. Open and good communication with all the stakeholders (and fans!), committees for the future role of the FIA in talent development, readability and durability. Plus, not affiliated with one of the big boys in the sport.

west52keep64

With so many different media outlets labelling Masi's position untenable, it does seem like he's effectively being "cancelled". You could argue a quick and easy solution for the FIA is to pin the blame on Masi, which would placate the fans and the media without really having to address the actual problem.

Scalexf1

Nice game of political chess going on now.
FIA will deliver its findings to the investigation on the eve of the race.
If Mercedes’/Hamilton wish to continue with the game it basically means no winter testing for Hamilton, or a step back from their current positioning.
Who is actually in charge here in this modern era of F1?

Big Tea

Scalexf1 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 01:39
Nice game of political chess going on now.
FIA will deliver its findings to the investigation on the eve of the race.
If Mercedes’/Hamilton wish to continue with the game it basically means no winter testing for Hamilton, or a step back from their current positioning.
Who is actually in charge here in this modern era of F1?
The guy on sky said Merc will 'be shown' what the findings are in early Feb, the later date is 'rubber stamping ' it.
I'll post the vid when I find it

Edit) its here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ngBRi_eOY
Last edited by Big Tea on 14 Jan 2022, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

fritticaldi

Wouter wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 21:17
fritticaldi wrote:
Who will replace Nick Tombazis ? The Greek engineer who previously worked for Benetton, McLaren and Ferrari.
Hello Wouter, i obtained this information from www.wiki2.org the quote has a link which takes you to the official page of the FIA where we no longer see his name .

Ryar

wesley123 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 18:37
Ryar wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:56
Isn't this is the approach that Ferrari has taken, firing after firing and look what they have earned out of it.
The significant difference is that you can develop yourself out of it. You can't really regain trust that easily.
Masi has basically told everyone that he can do what he wants to because of catch-all clauses in the rulebook. Not only that, but he has also told the whole field of drivers that what is and isn't allowed will be guesswork.

You literally have no clue what can and cannot be done under this guy, which is precisely the thing that should not be the case under any circumstance in a sport. If this stays the same, you have set some serious precedent where it is okay that the sport turns into some sort of gameshow.
I definitely don't read that, Masi was trying to make a statement or any such antics. Most of what I read in this sounds emotions than ratonality. Firing people is not the answer for any organization, especially for a decision taken under duress. Regaining credibility is done by identifying gaps in the process and fixing it. With the current situation of enormous inconsistency of decision making by RD and Stewards, expecting a miraculous escape out of it with a 100% perfect decision making is impossible. There has to be a method to improve things. Like I said, if Masi is replaced with someone else and if that person makes a similar decision under another pressure cooker situation, should he also be fired? It would be senseless.
Hakuna Matata!

Wouter

fritticaldi wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 01:55
Wouter wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 21:17
fritticaldi wrote:
Hello Wouter, i obtained this information from www.wiki2.org the quote has a link which takes you to the official page of the FIA where we no longer see his name .
Thank you @fritticaldi. I don't think that is an official statement that he resigned. It only says that Bayer is in charge now.
We have to wait and see what is going to happen with Masi and Tombazis. That is why they investigate everything now.
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

Ryar wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 07:10
wesley123 wrote:
Ryar wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:56
Isn't this is the approach that Ferrari has taken, firing after firing and look what they have earned out of it.
The significant difference is that you can develop yourself out of it. You can't really regain trust that easily.
Masi has basically told everyone that he can do what he wants to because of catch-all clauses in the rulebook. Not only that, but he has also told the whole field of drivers that what is and isn't allowed will be guesswork.

You literally have no clue what can and cannot be done under this guy, which is precisely the thing that should not be the case under any circumstance in a sport. If this stays the same, you have set some serious precedent where it is okay that the sport turns into some sort of gameshow.
I definitely don't read that, Masi was trying to make a statement or any such antics. Most of what I read in this sounds emotions than ratonality. Firing people is not the answer for any organization, especially for a decision taken under duress. Regaining credibility is done by identifying gaps in the process and fixing it. With the current situation of enormous inconsistency of decision making by RD and Stewards, expecting a miraculous escape out of it with a 100% perfect decision making is impossible. There has to be a method to improve things. Like I said, if Masi is replaced with someone else and if that person makes a similar decision under another pressure cooker situation, should he also be fired? It would be senseless.
Masi needs firing because he was terrible all year, across many situations, not because he cocked up once at the end of the season. There is a reason the "we miss Charlie" rhetoric was strong all year.

It makes a nice clean break, they resolve some of the issues in the rules around racing and penalties, and we get someone that starts fresh with those roles and applies them accordingly.
Felipe Baby!

DChemTech

SiLo wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 11:25
Ryar wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 07:10
wesley123 wrote:

Masi needs firing because he was terrible all year, across many situations, not because he cocked up once at the end of the season. There is a reason the "we miss Charlie" rhetoric was strong all year.

It makes a nice clean break, they resolve some of the issues in the rules around racing and penalties, and we get someone that starts fresh with those roles and applies them accordingly.
That last part is particularly important. Changing the faces is needed for a fresh start, but there's no point in changing the faces if the underlying rules are poor. The problem is the FIA at large, not Masi.
No changes in technical regulations throughout a season - the regulations should be clear and enforceable from the start (so no qualitative statements on wing flexing - quantitative from the start, rules should be SMART), and if a team manages to find a loophole, props to them. Close it for the next season. No secret deals. If a team cheats, penalise them and be open about what and why. No screwing around with changing track limits between sessions or only enforcing them in selected corners - the white lines are there for a reason, and if you can race on a piece of asphalt, you can also overtake there. And lasting advantages can be gained in other ways than overtaking. And of course, have a few extra pre-defined scenarios for the safety car deployment...