Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wogx

Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Stu

Re: Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

With them *ahem* ‘borrowing’ the last Racing Point car from Mercedes, and then adapting it to 2021 modifications, it could be argued that they could have a huge head start on all of the other teams this year!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AeroDynamic

Stu wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 14:26
With them *ahem* ‘borrowing’ the last Racing Point car from Mercedes, and then adapting it to 2021 modifications, it could be argued that they could have a huge head start on all of the other teams this year!
Possibly. Do we think Andrew Green is lying when he suggests it’s a lot more difficult than it sounds, as well as saying it takes a lot to figure out the concept and develop it to work?

El Scorchio

Stu wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 14:26
You could argue the same for Haas as well, with their total lack of 2021 development, and some other teams. I guess all teams had the same decision- develop through 2021 or don't bother, and put more time and resource into 2022.

Is it any more than what RBR/AT and Ferrari/AR can achieve by splitting development across two teams? You could also argue that's a huge head start.

NAPI10

I think, they will go back to Force India philosophy.
Start the season with a base version that can be molded/change in any technical direction. Then keep introducing new versions as the season progress by observing innovations by other teams.

El Scorchio

NAPI10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 18:01
Start the season with a base version that can be molded/change in any technical direction. Then keep introducing new versions as the season progress by observing innovations by other teams.
I think a lot of teams will do this. Start with a fairly 'neutral' and all round design rather than going too far down a path that might be hard to come back from.

NAPI10

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 18:08
NAPI10 wrote:
I think a lot of teams will do this. Start with a fairly 'neutral' and all round design rather than going too far down a path that might be hard to come back from.
True to that but it also brings opportunity for the midfield team just like 'Brawn' in 2009.

El Scorchio

NAPI10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 19:14
El Scorchio wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:
True to that but it also brings opportunity for the midfield team just like 'Brawn' in 2009.
Absolutely agree. I reckon the Haas and Williams teams etc. are in a nothing to lose scenario- everyone expects them to be dead last so they might as well go for broke with something radical. If it pays off and they find a magic solution they could have an amazing season, and if it doesn't, they just start from scratch next season, looking at what worked this season. I reckon AT and AR will go down that daring route as well to help their sister teams gather information and test philosophies.

However, to bring it back on topic and to Aston, :wink: I believe they, with the other bigger 4-5 teams will play it pretty safe and risk averse at first so as not to be at a serious disadvantage, then quickly learn from testing and the first few races what they need to do in relation to their competitors and really start chucking on big updates if needed. A big mis-step now could cost a few years to put right.

I could of course be totally wrong, but that's the fun in all this isn't it!

NAPI10

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 20:07
NAPI10 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Absolutely agree. I reckon the Haas and Williams teams etc. are in a nothing to lose scenario- everyone expects them to be dead last so they might as well go for broke with something radical. If it pays off and they find a magic solution they could have an amazing season, and if it doesn't, they just start from scratch next season, looking at what worked this season. I reckon AT and AR will go down that daring route as well to help their sister teams gather information and test philosophies.

However, to bring it back on topic and to Aston, :wink: I believe they, with the other bigger 4-5 teams will play it pretty safe and risk averse at first so as not to be at a serious disadvantage, then quickly learn from testing and the first few races what they need to do in relation to their competitors and really start chucking on big updates if needed. A big mis-step now could cost a few years to put right.

Plus their big appointments joining the team later half of 22 or in 23. These guys will have a lot of inputs.
Looking at that, team won't commit to certain design philosophy; at least in the first half of the season.

El Scorchio

NAPI10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 21:01
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 20:07
NAPI10 wrote:

Plus their big appointments joining the team later half of 22 or in 23. These guys will have a lot of inputs.
Looking at that, team won't commit to certain design philosophy; at least in the first half of the season.
True. I agree it's an indication that Stroll sr really means business. And the man clearly knows how to run a business!

Big Tea

oops, sorry should be in the other thread (and it is) so deleted
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TimmTurbo

Do you guys really think that the teams choose between a radical or mild approach?

I don’t think so. At the end of the day it all comes down to the most promising numbers and figures. They probably spent a tremendous amount of work into verifying their measurements. After that or in parallel they investigated into directions which simply promised to perform better over the other option. I don’t think any Lead in Engineering is interested in keeping things „easy“ for the sake of not making any mistakes or being too radical. It all boils down to pure lap time.

At least what I would expect all of them to do

Big Tea

TimmTurbo wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 22:59
Do you guys really think that the teams choose between a radical or mild approach?

I don’t think so. At the end of the day it all comes down to the most promising numbers and figures. They probably spent a tremendous amount of work into verifying their measurements. After that or in parallel they investigated into directions which simply promised to perform better over the other option. I don’t think any Lead in Engineering is interested in keeping things „easy“ for the sake of not making any mistakes or being too radical. It all boils down to pure lap time.

At least what I would expect all of them to do
I would assume there are some areas where they consider some things slightly 'throttled back' thinking they cam probably go a little more radical later in the season.
They want a fast car, but they also want a stable car and a car they understand. I would be leaning somewhat to the conservative side of anything 'too cutting edge', but not forgetting about it, just not gambling too hard on it.

But, then again, I am not a F1 engineer and giant steps may be what you take.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ME4ME

Given that they have nothing to lean on experience-wise with these regulations and 18" tires: ouch!
Not all that surpising if true. New management, new goals. Ambition over capabilty.