2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Team: 🇬🇧 Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team
Base: 🇬🇧 Silverstone, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Team principal: Mike Krack
Technical director(s): Andrew Green

Race drivers:
🇩🇪 Sebastian VETTEL 5
🇨🇦 Lance STROLL 18

Chassis: AMR22
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo

This thread is to discuss the 2022 Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 TEAM

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Table of Contents
Use the following hyperlinks as a convenient shortcut to specific discussions as they happened

● Car and Livery Launch of AMR22 [February 10th, 2022]
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Feb 2022, 19:38, edited 18 times in total.

AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team

Mike Krack announced as new Team Principal of Aston Martin F1 Team

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... TwIHf.html
Aston Martin have confirmed that former BMW motorsport head Mike Krack will become their Team Principal, taking over from the recently-departed Otmar Szafnauer.

Although not a familiar name in the world of F1, Krack has headed up BMW’s global motorsport operation since 2014, meaning he was in charge of the German manufacturer’s Formula E, GT and IMSA programmes, as well as overseeing their expansion into the new LMDh category. Prior to that, Krack spent a year and a half with Porsche as Head of Track Engineering for their LMP1 project, working alongside current McLaren Team Principal Andreas Seidl.

AMR22 launch date announced

WaikeCU

Mike Krack

Hehe :mrgreen:

Feel like AM were pretty much under the radar for the whole season with the tech changes in 2021 that have hurt them pretty bad on performance. So I really expect a lot from them this season. Budget is plenty and I feel they can build beautiful things at AM considering that used to be Force India and Racing Point. So they were always surpisingly good considering their budget.

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 16:38
Mike Krack

Hehe :mrgreen:

Feel like AM were pretty much under the radar for the whole season with the tech changes in 2021 that have hurt them pretty bad on performance. So I really expect a lot from them this season. Budget is plenty and I feel they can build beautiful things at AM considering that used to be Force India and Racing Point. So they were always surpisingly good considering their budget.
That was my immediate reaction too. Just sounds like a joke name, the poor man.
I think they might have some high expectations for the new era as well- perhaps that was why it was time for Ottmar to depart.

AeroDynamic

I liked Otmar, but his handling of the politics during the Mercedes copying Saga, showed where his limits are. He really is more of an engineer, and while I have no doubt he is competent running a team behind the scenes, I have doubts his interpersonal style really works people, drivers especially.. and is basically quite limited. He sounds like he’s in an engineer meeting with every topic. He kind of lacked vs Zak Brown in the media. I feel he was out of his comfort zone in that area, and maybe that amongst other -bigger?- things, left Stroll wanting more.

On Otmars side, I get the feeling he really wasn’t keen on being so closely managed and bossed around by Stroll. I’m sure it’s grown in intensity since the Aston Martin makeover, and with the controversies that came along in 2020.

NAPI10

Andrew Green is still 'Technical Director'?
I think, he is CTO.

El Scorchio

SO, 10th Feb for the car launch- exciting! Wonder if this will be the first one, or if anyone else will get in first. Clearly they'll give away no design secrets but it'll be good to see an actual 22 car rather than an FIA mock up.

adrianjordan

AeroDynamic wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 16:48
I liked Otmar, but his handling of the politics during the Mercedes copying Saga, showed where his limits are. He really is more of an engineer, and while I have no doubt he is competent running a team behind the scenes, I have doubts his interpersonal style really works people, drivers especially.. and is basically quite limited. He sounds like he’s in an engineer meeting with every topic. He kind of lacked vs Zak Brown in the media. I feel he was out of his comfort zone in that area, and maybe that amongst other -bigger?- things, left Stroll wanting more.

On Otmars side, I get the feeling he really wasn’t keen on being so closely managed and bossed around by Stroll. I’m sure it’s grown in intensity since the Aston Martin makeover, and with the controversies that came along in 2020.
I agree. I kind of got the impression sometimes that he being told what line to take and wasn't always comfortable with the argument he was told to make.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NAPI10

adrianjordan wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 19:00
AeroDynamic wrote:

I agree. I kind of got the impression sometimes that he being told what line to take and wasn't always comfortable with the argument he was told to make.
I respect him but he was in the wrong role.....maybe he was there as a transitionary 'Team Principle'.
With so many talented new joiners at various levels, the new Team Principal is a welcome move.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 19:08
adrianjordan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I respect him but he was in the wrong role.....maybe he was there as a transitionary 'Team Principle'.
With so many talented new joiners at various levels, the new Team Principal is a welcome move.
Hard to tell but before Stroll they had Hulk, Ocon and Perez, all very good drivers. Now they have... It seems like Stroll was making decisions that Otmar wasn't comfortable with.

Stu

adrianjordan wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

^^ This ^^

The biggest management faux-pas, was how the Covid infection (Stroll) was handled; there was an attempt to cover up and brush under the carpet.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

adrianjordan

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Cognizant F1 Team

Rumours in the Alpine thread that BWT are possibly moving to the Enstone team.

Whilst it's never good to lose a sponsor, at least it means we can drop the pink and regain the yellow/bright green!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

JPower

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 20:10
So what's the difference between Technical Director and Chief Technical Officer(Andy Green)?

EDIT: Never mind, looks like Green is over the Performance Director, Engineering Director, and Technical Director.

NAPI10

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 15:29
Rumours in the Alpine thread that BWT are possibly moving to the Enstone team.

Whilst it's never good to lose a sponsor, at least it means we can drop the pink and regain the yellow/bright green!!
It will be one heck of a livery especially with these new regulations.