FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Marty_Y

Re: FIA Thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022

Jolle

Marty_Y wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 02:50

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
I would love to be in the room when Horner has his appointment. Apart from the last race, there is also the undisclosed protest from Silverstone where they allegedly had some very bad words about Hamilton.

Wouter

Jolle wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 11:25
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
I would love to be in the room when Horner has his appointment. Apart from the last race, there is also the undisclosed protest from Silverstone where they allegedly had some very bad words about Hamilton.
Why? What do you expect him to say that you enjoy so much?
The Power of Dreams!

Jolle

Wouter wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 11:51
Jolle wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 11:25
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Why? What do you expect him to say that you enjoy so much?
Horners reply’s on the many why’s he might be asked in his dealings with the racing director. For instance, why did you write this down. Horner/RedBull had, with succes, a great pressure on Masi last season, with great success. Bullish at times.
We all know how an interview with Wolff would go, but it’s far more interesting to know how the team that benefited, trying to defend Masi and their own pressure on the system.

Big Tea

Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Benson is usually a very good and fair journalist, but I was not impressed with that piece and it came over as one sided.
I know we all have an opinion, but he does not usually include his own in the article without pointing it out as opinion.
He is either involved, angry or looking for clicks/replies
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TimW

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:15

an obvious one should be the ‘10 car length rule’ it was even cleared up on tv - it applies to a formation lap. It doesn’t apply to a standing start-restart.
That interpretation was just another Masi mess-up which was happily taken over by British media. It was a de facto formation lap and formation lap rules should have been applied. Otherwise you can have ridiculous situations.

AeroDynamic

TimW wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:50
AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:15

an obvious one should be the ‘10 car length rule’ it was even cleared up on tv - it applies to a formation lap. It doesn’t apply to a standing start-restart.
That interpretation was just another Masi mess-up which was happily taken over by British media. It was a de facto formation lap and formation lap rules should have been applied. Otherwise you can have ridiculous situations.
Is this ‘interpretation gap’ the same kind that has benefitted drivers not leaving a cars width for another driver entitled to space / corner?

one can say anything. Can you cite the rules and prove that was a formation lap, and formation lap rules were broken? Otherwise it reads like ‘should be a formation lap’ what’s the British media got to do with anything?

TimW

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 14:04

Is this ‘interpretation gap’ the same kind that has benefitted drivers not leaving a cars width for another driver entitled to space / corner?
Yes it is the same kind that let e.g. Max' Brazil off go unpunished. Although both this one and the Brazil one are crystal clear to me.

hollus

A trolling attempt has been removed, as was the whole follow up. I am impressed by the amount of responses it drew in just 2 hours, fanning the flames much? [sarcasm off].
Rivals, not enemies.

Marty_Y

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:29
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Benson is usually a very good and fair journalist, but I was not impressed with that piece and it came over as one sided.
I know we all have an opinion, but he does not usually include his own in the article without pointing it out as opinion.
Sorry but how was it one sided?

He pointed out that the rules weren't applied properly, that's not opinion that's fact.
He pointed out that other drivers thought what happened was wrong and it's not the only time that they have been unhappy with the way Masi has performed during the season.

I haven't seen the posts that were deleted so I hope I'm not going over old ground, but to dismiss the article as one sided because it speaks the truth is unfair.

Big Tea

Marty_Y wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:29
Marty_Y wrote:

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Sorry but how was it one sided?

He pointed out that the rules weren't applied properly, that's not opinion that's fact.
He pointed out that other drivers thought what happened was wrong and it's not the only time that they have been unhappy with the way Masi has performed during the season.

I haven't seen the posts that were deleted so I hope I'm not going over old ground, but to dismiss the article as one sided because it speaks the truth is unfair.
In your opinion it was. You are entitled to your opinion, a journalist should state what is opinion and what is fact, but it is as much a matter of who's opinions he gives. TBH, I agree with him, but can see that if I was of the other opinion I would be peeved.

Jolle

a return of Marcin Budkowski for the FIA? :D

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 00:44
Was he not a 'rules of construction' guy? where Masi is a 'make sure everything works' guy?

Agin, I have to 'fess up' to my original knee jerk ' burn him' response and take a more considered response of let him do what he does but give him over sight approach.

Dont know much about the structure of FIA, but it is going to be obvious there are not many people who can do what he did, and do it during a race. Just maybe I flew off the handle and he should perhaps keep his job, but with a ( or more than one) advisor? Defiantly someone to buffer him from harassment from the teams during the race.

Mr Masi is not available at the moment. Your call is important to us so please stay on the line or call back at a more convenient time.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 00:57
Jolle wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 00:44
Was he not a 'rules of construction' guy? where Masi is a 'make sure everything works' guy?

Agin, I have to 'fess up' to my original knee jerk ' burn him' response and take a more considered response of let him do what he does but give him over sight approach.

Dont know much about the structure of FIA, but it is going to be obvious there are not many people who can do what he did, and do it during a race. Just maybe I flew off the handle and he should perhaps keep his job, but with a ( or more than one) advisor? Defiantly someone to buffer him from harassment from the teams during the race.

Mr Masi is not available at the moment. Your call is important to us so please stay on the line or call back at a more convenient time.
I was thinking more of a replacement of Nikolas Tombazis. And with a big wink, as Budkowski is basically just laid off.

fritticaldi

The Italian media is reporting that Michael Masi will likely be retained. The two likely replacements, Portuguese Eduardo Freitas and American Scott Elkins have been confirmed in their roles respectively WEC and Formula E. Masi will have reinforcements in the name of German Niel Wittich from the DTM series. This solution will help ease the tension of Mercedes and Toto Wolff.