FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Marty_Y
Marty_Y
28
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

Jolle
Jolle
132
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
I would love to be in the room when Horner has his appointment. Apart from the last race, there is also the undisclosed protest from Silverstone where they allegedly had some very bad words about Hamilton.

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Jolle wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 am
Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
I would love to be in the room when Horner has his appointment. Apart from the last race, there is also the undisclosed protest from Silverstone where they allegedly had some very bad words about Hamilton.
.
Why? What do you expect him to say that you enjoy so much?
The Power of Honda!

Jolle
Jolle
132
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 am
Jolle wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 am
Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
I would love to be in the room when Horner has his appointment. Apart from the last race, there is also the undisclosed protest from Silverstone where they allegedly had some very bad words about Hamilton.
.
Why? What do you expect him to say that you enjoy so much?
Horners reply’s on the many why’s he might be asked in his dealings with the racing director. For instance, why did you write this down. Horner/RedBull had, with succes, a great pressure on Masi last season, with great success. Bullish at times.
We all know how an interview with Wolff would go, but it’s far more interesting to know how the team that benefited, trying to defend Masi and their own pressure on the system.

User avatar
Big Tea
88
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
Benson is usually a very good and fair journalist, but I was not impressed with that piece and it came over as one sided.
I know we all have an opinion, but he does not usually include his own in the article without pointing it out as opinion.
He is either involved, angry or looking for clicks/replies
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

User avatar
TimW
21
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

AeroDynamic wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:15 pm

an obvious one should be the ‘10 car length rule’ it was even cleared up on tv - it applies to a formation lap. It doesn’t apply to a standing start-restart.
That interpretation was just another Masi mess-up which was happily taken over by British media. It was a de facto formation lap and formation lap rules should have been applied. Otherwise you can have ridiculous situations.

User avatar
AeroDynamic
331
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: FIA Thread

Post

TimW wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:50 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:15 pm

an obvious one should be the ‘10 car length rule’ it was even cleared up on tv - it applies to a formation lap. It doesn’t apply to a standing start-restart.
That interpretation was just another Masi mess-up which was happily taken over by British media. It was a de facto formation lap and formation lap rules should have been applied. Otherwise you can have ridiculous situations.
Is this ‘interpretation gap’ the same kind that has benefitted drivers not leaving a cars width for another driver entitled to space / corner?

one can say anything. Can you cite the rules and prove that was a formation lap, and formation lap rules were broken? Otherwise it reads like ‘should be a formation lap’ what’s the British media got to do with anything?

User avatar
TimW
21
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

AeroDynamic wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 pm


Is this ‘interpretation gap’ the same kind that has benefitted drivers not leaving a cars width for another driver entitled to space / corner?
Yes it is the same kind that let e.g. Max' Brazil off go unpunished. Although both this one and the Brazil one are crystal clear to me.

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: FIA Thread

Post

A trolling attempt has been removed, as was the whole follow up. I am impressed by the amount of responses it drew in just 2 hours, fanning the flames much? [sarcasm off].
I would like to see a paleontologist.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y
28
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:29 pm
Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
Benson is usually a very good and fair journalist, but I was not impressed with that piece and it came over as one sided.
I know we all have an opinion, but he does not usually include his own in the article without pointing it out as opinion.
He is either involved, angry or looking for clicks/replies
Sorry but how was it one sided?

He pointed out that the rules weren't applied properly, that's not opinion that's fact.
He pointed out that other drivers thought what happened was wrong and it's not the only time that they have been unhappy with the way Masi has performed during the season.

I haven't seen the posts that were deleted so I hope I'm not going over old ground, but to dismiss the article as one sided because it speaks the truth is unfair.

User avatar
Big Tea
88
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:33 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:29 pm
Marty_Y wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:50 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60007031

FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Last updated on15 January 2022
FIA president meets Mercedes boss Toto Wolff as part of F1 inquiry
Benson is usually a very good and fair journalist, but I was not impressed with that piece and it came over as one sided.
I know we all have an opinion, but he does not usually include his own in the article without pointing it out as opinion.
He is either involved, angry or looking for clicks/replies
Sorry but how was it one sided?

He pointed out that the rules weren't applied properly, that's not opinion that's fact.
He pointed out that other drivers thought what happened was wrong and it's not the only time that they have been unhappy with the way Masi has performed during the season.

I haven't seen the posts that were deleted so I hope I'm not going over old ground, but to dismiss the article as one sided because it speaks the truth is unfair.
In your opinion it was. You are entitled to your opinion, a journalist should state what is opinion and what is fact, but it is as much a matter of who's opinions he gives. TBH, I agree with him, but can see that if I was of the other opinion I would be peeved.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle
132
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: FIA Thread

Post

a return of Marcin Budkowski for the FIA? :D

User avatar
Big Tea
88
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Jolle wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:44 pm
a return of Marcin Budkowski for the FIA? :D
Was he not a 'rules of construction' guy? where Masi is a 'make sure everything works' guy?

Agin, I have to 'fess up' to my original knee jerk ' burn him' response and take a more considered response of let him do what he does but give him over sight approach.

Dont know much about the structure of FIA, but it is going to be obvious there are not many people who can do what he did, and do it during a race. Just maybe I flew off the handle and he should perhaps keep his job, but with a ( or more than one) advisor? Defiantly someone to buffer him from harassment from the teams during the race.

Mr Masi is not available at the moment. Your call is important to us so please stay on the line or call back at a more convenient time.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle
132
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: FIA Thread

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:57 pm
Jolle wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:44 pm
a return of Marcin Budkowski for the FIA? :D
Was he not a 'rules of construction' guy? where Masi is a 'make sure everything works' guy?

Agin, I have to 'fess up' to my original knee jerk ' burn him' response and take a more considered response of let him do what he does but give him over sight approach.

Dont know much about the structure of FIA, but it is going to be obvious there are not many people who can do what he did, and do it during a race. Just maybe I flew off the handle and he should perhaps keep his job, but with a ( or more than one) advisor? Defiantly someone to buffer him from harassment from the teams during the race.

Mr Masi is not available at the moment. Your call is important to us so please stay on the line or call back at a more convenient time.
I was thinking more of a replacement of Nikolas Tombazis. And with a big wink, as Budkowski is basically just laid off.

User avatar
fritticaldi
3
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Canada

Re: FIA Thread

Post

The Italian media is reporting that Michael Masi will likely be retained. The two likely replacements, Portuguese Eduardo Freitas and American Scott Elkins have been confirmed in their roles respectively WEC and Formula E. Masi will have reinforcements in the name of German Niel Wittich from the DTM series. This solution will help ease the tension of Mercedes and Toto Wolff.