2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2022 Mercedes | AMG Petronas F1 Team

SiLo wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 15:47
AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 13:27
FWIW, Sky F1 have heard noises out of the Mercedes camp that they’re pleased with how their ‘22 challenger is looking. The noise out of Ferrari are loudest at the moment though.
The Italians being noisy is just par for the course though :lol: :lol:
That's what I like about Ferrari. They know how to bring the intrigue pre season. I am really looking forward to that car. They say 2017 is their inspiration, knowing they can challenge the top team with being very aggressive with design and innovation.
Mercedes I know will be very strong, they know how to look on themselves and improve. Tyre warm up may still remain their weakness, but with ground effect cars that may just dissapear.
Aslo BBS wheels will be the standard wheel for F-1. No more custom tyre warmup wheels from the other teams it appears. Just 1 wheel. Maybe BBS will offer some different styles to break up the monotony.
For Sure!!

SiLo

ringo wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:06
SiLo wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
FWIW, Sky F1 have heard noises out of the Mercedes camp that they’re pleased with how their ‘22 challenger is looking. The noise out of Ferrari are loudest at the moment though.
That's what I like about Ferrari. They know how to bring the intrigue pre season. I am really looking forward to that car. They say 2017 is their inspiration, knowing they can challenge the top team with being very aggressive with design and innovation.
Mercedes I know will be very strong, they know how to look on themselves and improve. Tyre warm up may still remain their weakness, but with ground effect cars that may just dissapear.
Aslo BBS wheels will be the standard wheel for F-1. No more custom tyre warmup wheels from the other teams it appears. Just 1 wheel. Maybe BBS will offer some different styles to break up the monotony.
I don't like them switching to one supplier, even if we don't see those wheels on road cars, that kind of research may trickle down into some other industry.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

SiLo wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
ImageImage

SiLo wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 15:51
AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 15:09
Yeah I agree. I don’t think I would say Michael was ‘critical’ in any way. I would say he helped push the team to get the best out of themselves basically. That little extra 10% difference sort of thing. You don’t get more confidence from anything other than winning races and titles, which they did do before he got there. The team wasn’t working wonders while he was there, but it did improve noticeably in 2013 after more key people like Elliot seemed to arrive. McLaren cars didn’t get slower when Elliot left in 2008, just less reliable. But we can say McLaren didn’t get anywhere after Hamilton left them, and Alonso joined them.

Hamilton and Elliot reunited in 2013 in the Mercedes team. And I think both of them should be given credit for the success of Mercedes, as should Toto. I think Brawn gets the credit for building the team but I think they would’ve grown very complacent under him, I think Toto is stronger in the leadership area.
I see so many hark on about Schumacher building a team, as if he went and personally signed all the people in technical and management roles himself.

Personally, I think Brawn gave Mercedes a fantastic structure and base to build from, and bringing in Lewis was akin to bringing in Michael at Ferrari. There is a common denominator there. I also agree that Toto has seemingly driven them farther than maybe they would have gotten under Brawn, and I think Brawn realised that he wasn't needed and could pursue other things.

The more stories that come out about how hard Hamilton works just helps solidify his status about being involved in helping build the team the same way Schumacher did at Ferrari.
But Brawn didn't sign or bring Schumacher to Ferrari, he followed Schumacher there. so they're apples and oranges. But that doesn't take away any credit from the fact that Brawn knew from his Ferrari-Michael days, how to engineer, build, construct, and put together a winning team. So he knew he needed a driver of Hamilton's quality and thats exactly what he got.

Toto isn't a proven team builder, so Ross had that covered for his tenure. Where Toto is strong is building a team environment that makes people want to work, improve, compete and be hungry. And I don't believe Ross had this quality in him at all; he was an engineer. He's very similar to Otmar Szafanuer in that way, in terms of interpersonal style. Also, Ross, a man who had conquered the championship with Benetton, and Ferrari, 7-8 successes of titles, plus a new one under Brawn GP.. why would he be hungry anymore with nothing to prove? he'd won It all and done it all.

A hungry newcomer like Toto, with nothing to his name, and everything to prove, was always going to be hungry to achieve what Brawn had already achieved, what Horner had achieved before him. Toto is also no engineer, but a businessman, he knows how to work with people, and has the interpersonal style to build an environment; he knows psychology. Thats why Mercedes has sustainably dominated and become anything but complacent for so many years imo.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 17 Jan 2022, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Henri

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... o/7414303/

The car looks mighty they've recoverd the lost horsepower from the new fuels.. a new german engineer has created a turbo for the engine 😊😊

Jambier

Basically they will have the "special engine" of Hamilton all year.

Still dominant on the engine side, let's see if Ferrari can match this engine.
For RB they will be behind

AeroDynamic

Jambier wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 21:28

I doubt it. They could run it aggressive with a short life span. If the path was straight forward to run it aggressive all season then I think they wouldve achieved it sustainably already without needing to employ what was a desperately aggressive strategy late in the season.

I do expect they will come back with a fast engine that doesnt need penalties to compete though. I doubt they even ran that aggressive engine map for all 4 races, I bet it was highest in brazil and then turned down a bit though still higher rhan previously to begin with.

Jambier

AeroDynamic wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 21:38
Jambier wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 21:28

I doubt it. They could run it aggressive with a short life span. If the path was straight forward to run it aggressive all season then I think they wouldve achieved it sustainably already without needing to employ what was a desperately aggressive strategy late in the season.

I do expect they will come back with a fast engine that doesnt need penalties to compete though. I doubt they even ran that aggressive engine map for all 4 races, I bet it was highest in brazil and then turned down a bit though still higher rhan previously to begin with.
Well according to the Motorsport Italia article up here, they will have no more concerns about reliability, the new turbo and hence they could be at that engine level I think, or close

kc_f1

No one seems to have asked this question yet - but where is Mr. Hamilton? Is he even coming back? Mercedes is also totally silent. Maybe they are doing some back room negotiations to line up a successor

Jolle

kc_f1 wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 22:02
No one seems to have asked this question yet - but where is Mr. Hamilton? Is he even coming back? Mercedes is also totally silent. Maybe they are doing some back room negotiations to line up a successor
Probably in the gym, cuddling his dog, having some vacation, visiting friends and family, etc etc.

At least, that is what I would do after so many races and that ending.

and then back to work at the first test.

WaikeCU

Jolle wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 00:10
kc_f1 wrote:
Probably in the gym, cuddling his dog, having some vacation, visiting friends and family, etc etc.

At least, that is what I would do after so many races and that ending.

and then back to work at the first test.
1-2 months of vacay at max with a 22 race calendar with multiple triple headers.

Next season will have 23 races.

I'd go off the radar and just take some time off as well

adrianjordan

kc_f1 wrote:
I'm assuming by "no-one" you mean all the F1 media outlets generating ckickbait articles?

He's gone offline. Don't blame him. He's not the first high profile person to have a break from social media, hell it's not even the first time he's done it.

The only people speculating about his future are media outlets with an editorial angle to promote in the interests of generating clicks.

No way he doesn't come back to compete for the 8th crown he was robbed of by Massi!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

JPower

kc_f1 wrote:
Hanging out in Los Angeles.

Henri

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 01:18
kc_f1 wrote:
I'm assuming by "no-one" you mean all the F1 media outlets generating ckickbait articles?

He's gone offline. Don't blame him. He's not the first high profile person to have a break from social media, hell it's not even the first time he's done it.

The only people speculating about his future are media outlets with an editorial angle to promote in the interests of generating clicks.

No way he doesn't come back to compete for the 8th crown he was robbed of by Massi!!
These media houses are using his name for clicks the obsession is disturbing. And why would he talk when it wont change what happened in abu Dhabi 🙄

adrianjordan

Henri wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 04:18
adrianjordan wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 01:18
kc_f1 wrote:

These media houses are using his name for clicks the obsession is disturbing. And why would he talk when it wont change what happened in abu Dhabi 🙄
Exactly!!

I'm sure he'll talk about it eventually, but I think he will want to do his talking on track!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️