Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

LM10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 13:33
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 12:46
On this- and with the Djokovic saga currently happening in Australia- do we know if any of the drivers are unvaccinated, and if so are they likely to be denied entry to any countries like Australia? If they are unvaccinated there's no way they'll meet exemption criteria.
I don’t think there are any drivers or team members who are not vaccinated. F1 consists of educated people who think along the lines of science.
That's my thinking as well. I can't recall any talk of any of them not being vaccinated. I'd imagine with all the international travel involved it was a necessity to do the job for drivers and most key team members, regardless of personal opinion.

LM10

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 14:08
El Scorchio wrote:
On this- and with the Djokovic saga currently happening in Australia- do we know if any of the drivers are unvaccinated, and if so are they likely to be denied entry to any countries like Australia? If they are unvaccinated there's no way they'll meet exemption criteria.

I hope None of the drivers are vaxxed... The reports of vaxxed sportsman dying daily are very alarming...
There are extremely rare cases of deaths due to thrombosis after vaccination with vector vaccines such as AstraZeneca (the pathogenesis has been pretty clear for a long time now). That's why for example Austria and Germany don't use those anymore, only the mRNA vaccines.

However, the benefits of the vaccines still outweigh the risk, even with vector vaccines. People getting COVID are at much higher risk developing thrombosis, heart attack or myocarditis. There is a reason patients with COVID who are getting treated in hospital are being monitored with daily thrombosis or heart attack markers in blood. And they also get prophylactic anticoagulation due to those risks.

Please stop spreading false information.
Last edited by LM10 on 14 Jan 2022, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 16:41
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 14:08
El Scorchio wrote:

I hope None of the drivers are vaxxed... The reports of vaxxed sportsman dying daily are very alarming...
There are extremely rare cases of deaths due to thrombosis after vaccination with vector vaccines such as AstraZeneca (the pathogenesis has been pretty clear for a long time now). That's why for example Austria and Germany don't use those anymore, only the MRNA vaccines.

However, the benefits of the vaccines still outweigh the risk, even with vector vaccines. People getting COVID are at much higher risk developing thrombosis, heart attack or myocarditis. There is a reason patients with COVID who are getting treated in hospital are being monitored with daily thrombosis or heart attack markers in blood. And they also get prophylactic anticoagulation due to those risks.

Please stop spreading false information.
Indeed. I'd be fascinated to know the identities of these legions of sportspeople allegedly dropping dead on a daily basis.....

Anyway, I fear we are veering away from what's allowed on the forum, and also from what I actually intended when asking the question as it seems in some countries if any drivers are not fully vaccinated, they may not be allowed to enter.

Jolle

Talking as someone with scarred lungs because of a covid infection back in early 2020, the vaccine is the best and most radical and legal doping there is for professional athletes. It will prevent a 25% drop in lung capacity.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
I hear someone on the radio refer to him as No vax Djokovic yesterday.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

hollus

It gets a bit too messy to surgically clean every subquote of every post in the last two pages... some have been deleted, some others probably should. But let's keep it clean from here.

We have been here before...
Please, no medical advice, we don't want to have to judge which can stay and which can't, I don't own the truth.
Please, no veering into the politics of posters telling other posters what to do or what not to do.

Countries are acting like they are acting, mass vaccinations are very real and, so are masses of people that don't want to vaccinate. And this affects the sport, all sports, as made very obvious by the current Novak-gate.
So, in that country politics in this respect affects F1, it is totally on topic. What F1 people do, is on topic.

What average Joe in the street does or doesn't or should or shouldn't so, if off topic.

I know on which side of this fence I am, but I am not going to take sides between vaxxers and antivaxxers. I'll try to snipe both such posts equally. So, please, don't do them in the first place.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

We cut religion and politics from the forum for obvious reasons. And unfortunately Covid has become also political in most places.
Sorry that your post went away with the bath water, nzjrs. As said, sniping will happen to both sides if there is no F1 angle whatsoever.
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

The medical car driver as far as know was not vaccinated last year when he caught Covid and he doesn't intend to get vaccinated by the looks of things. Do they have a replacement for him in case he is refused entry to Australia?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 02:20
The medical car driver as far as know was not vaccinated last year when he caught Covid and he doesn't intend to get vaccinated by the looks of things. Do they have a replacement for him in case he is refused entry to Australia?
Indeed- that's exactly what I was thinking with regard to any of the drivers (or indeed key personnel for any team).
I seem to recall the same thing re: the medical car driver. He's not- although no judgement from me on that- so I wonder how many races he (or indeed anyone else) might be precluded from attending. Australia is the one that jumps out for obvious reasons.

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
He would be eligible (also by virtue of being part of big important F1) for the same exemption granted to Djokovic providing he has recovered from Covid near enough to his date of entry. Remember, Djokovic was deported on public health grounds for a statement questioning vaccines in April 2020. By precedent the safety car driver will be OK providing he has natural immunity and also has not spoken on the topic.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 12:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He would be eligible (also by virtue of being part of big important F1) for the same exemption granted to Djokovic providing he has recovered from Covid near enough to his date of entry. Remember, Djokovic was deported on public health grounds for a statement questioning vaccines in April 2020. By precedent the safety car driver will be OK providing he has natural immunity and also has not spoken on the topic.
Didn't Djokovic also 'make mistakes' (to put it kindly) on his Visa application form? Specifically on where he'd been in the recent past?
I'd think partly the fact that he also tested positive and then knowingly broke isolation rules in Serbia several times by attending functions and interviews would have been a factor as well as his general stance.

But yes, to relay it to F1, I believe if the driver has had a recent infection (6 months, was it?) then he would be allowed in by their rules, but how likely is the timing of that likely to stack up? Feels a bit like stars aligning. I believe several non vaccinated tennis players didn't even bother trying to get a Visa for Australia.

nzjrs

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 14:06
nzjrs wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Didn't Djokovic also 'make mistakes' (to put it kindly) on his Visa application form? Specifically on where he'd been in the recent past?
I'd think partly the fact that he also tested positive and then knowingly broke isolation rules in Serbia several times by attending functions and interviews would have been a factor as well as his general stance.
The sole legal justification for his deportation was the Vaccine statements he made in April 2020. This has been widely misreported (and incorrectly reported) worldwide.

El Scorchio wrote:
But yes, to relay it to F1, I believe if the driver has had a recent infection (6 months, was it?) then he would be allowed in by their rules, but how likely is the timing of that likely to stack up? Feels a bit like stars aligning. I believe several non vaccinated tennis players didn't even bother trying to get a Visa for Australia.
This was indeed the Djokovic case exactly, but he became a bit of a political tennis ball (lol!).

Even Austria, which enacts a Vaccine mandate shortly, recognizes prior infection as a valid equivalent.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 14:13
El Scorchio wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

The sole legal justification for his deportation was the Vaccine statements he made in April 2020. This has been widely misreported (and incorrectly reported) worldwide.

El Scorchio wrote:
This was indeed the Djokovic case exactly, but he became a bit of a political tennis ball (lol!).

Even Austria, which enacts a Vaccine mandate shortly, recognizes prior infection as a valid equivalent.
Not according to their immigration minister:

“In particular, his behaviour may encourage or influence others to emulate his prior conduct and fail to comply with appropriate public health measures following a positive Covid-19 test result, which itself could lead to the transmission of the disease and serious risk to their health and others, ”

That, at least to me, suggests his behavior in Serbia after knowing his positive test result was also a key factor.

I think with all things Covid, things are going to depend on where one gets one's news from.

mclaren111

Sadly, Covid is now only a polital issue... From what I'm reading the Vaxxed spreads it just like the Unvaxxed...

Aesop

Unfortunately, Covid Will have repurcussions. Drivers Will be infected because of omicron.
Yesterday I tester positive, again. Had covid back in april and had my second zo called booster last wednesday. Its spreading fast.
Only way covid Will not effect the 22 season is when we decide to stop the testing and the quarantaine, maybe with the exception of people who have symptoms. I am hopeful because of the mild effects of omicron (though i feel like having a very bad cold) and with the speed it spreads we might all be vaccinated or infected by June so we can hope we can let go of all the covidrules. But maybe Im being naive.