2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Stu

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Blackout wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 18:35
I wonder if some teams will take advantage of the new cooling louvers this way: by putting a part of their centerline cooling system near them, a bit like Toro Rosso between 2014 and 2018, in order to close the rear exits more, and lower the COG and push it forward a bit.
Can teams fully open that area?
The louvers would be roughly in the green area
https://i.imgur.com/ziKPIeg.jpg
That will probably be determined by whether they provide a positive or negative flow structure/pressure distribution. That would apply to the rear exits as well as the new louvres. It may be beneficial to extract the air going through the ‘main’ cooling packages through the vents , leaving the centreline cooling to exit at the rear (in the low pressure zone).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Scalexf1

Stu wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 19:25
Blackout wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 18:35
I wonder if some teams will take advantage of the new cooling louvers this way: by putting a part of their centerline cooling system near them, a bit like Toro Rosso between 2014 and 2018, in order to close the rear exits more, and lower the COG and push it forward a bit.
Can teams fully open that area?
The louvers would be roughly in the green area
https://i.imgur.com/ziKPIeg.jpg
That will probably be determined by whether they provide a positive or negative flow structure/pressure distribution. That would apply to the rear exits as well as the new louvres. It may be beneficial to extract the air going through the ‘main’ cooling packages through the vents , leaving the centreline cooling to exit at the rear (in the low pressure zone).
Agreed, teams are not looking at parts of the car in isolation, they are looking at the interaction of any concept through the whole car. The cooling gills will be interesting to see what the teams will do. The beam wing is back and it’s behind the beam wing, it is another pivotal part of the whole package, let’s see if the teams run the cooling gills and rear exits, or just stick with the rear exits.
The gills may also effect the floor interactions with the upper body but that’s just a guess.

Just_a_fan

Could the beam wing be used as an extractor for the cooling system? By that I mean place the rear cooling outlet in a position so that the air being drawn under the beam wing helps to pull the air through the cooling outlet. If that could be done, the teams could end up with a smaller overall cooling exit.

I'm not sure whether the airflow would be enough to make such a concept work however. I'm guessing not, but don't know.

Also, could the cooling exits be placed so that they direct hot air between the beam wing lower surface and the top of the diffuser lip? That would give low pressure air in a place that benefits both devices - the beam wing would see a larger pressure difference across it and the diffuser would see a smaller pressure difference at its exit - leading to efficiency.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

I took a first detailed look at the bodywork regs today. I offer my thanks to those here who are making themselves familiar with them. It’s a challenge.

Can I ask what they call the winglets/flow conditioners, above the front tyres? I couldn’t find them.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

henry wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 14:09
I took a first detailed look at the bodywork regs today. I offer my thanks to those here who are making themselves familiar with them. It’s a challenge.

Can I ask what they call the winglets/flow conditioners, above the front tyres? I couldn’t find them.
Deflectors I believe.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

henry

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 14:21
henry wrote:

Deflectors I believe.
Thanks.

I was looking for something that had a Z dimension that took it over the wheel but it would appear that that part’s dimensions are defined in a CAD drawing, with the textual part 3.13 describing the constraints on attaching it to the brake drum. Or maybe not, I have no use, and hence no interest, for processing all that detail.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

henry wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 18:00
jjn9128 wrote:
henry wrote:

Deflectors I believe.
Thanks.

I was looking for something that had a Z dimension that took it over the wheel but it would appear that that part’s dimensions are defined in a CAD drawing, with the textual part 3.13 describing the constraints on attaching it to the brake drum. Or maybe not, I have no use, and hence no interest, for processing all that detail.
Yes, neither described to make yourself nor I think even finalised in their design
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
henry wrote:

Deflectors I believe.
Let's call them "mud guards"! :lol: =D>

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 17:48
godlameroso wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 16:29
With the wing tips we can actually design these front wings to have proverse yaw so body roll away from, would increase yaw into the turn.
you seem to be designing a flying machine
one that now needs no directional stability

what are you on ?
The car is flying upside down isn't it?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Question about the floor fences, they can't have an outward curve greater than 50 degrees, but what about an inward curve? Say you wanted to make the inner most fence point towards the center of the car, would that be allowed?
Saishū kōnā

Marty_Y

I was watching this video, in general it's just more of the same basic information. But there was one interesting bit about slipstreams, earlier in this thread someone asked if slipstreaming would still be as affective in the new cars and in this video there's a quote attributed to Lando Norris saying that it won't be as affective.

It's only a short video but most of it is stuff that you've probably heard before or already know.

OO7
OO7

Marty_Y wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 22:43
I was watching this video, in general it's just more of the same basic information. But there was one interesting bit about slipstreams, earlier in this thread someone asked if slipstreaming would still be as affective in the new cars and in this video there's a quote attributed to Lando Norris saying that it won't be as affective.

It's only a short video but most of it is stuff that you've probably heard before or already know.

I think the 2022 configuration of car could potentially make racing, as in the ability to overtake, more difficult around the Hungaroring, Mexico City and perhaps Austria.

Just_a_fan

Marty_Y wrote:

Almost by definition, if you reduce the effect of the wake on the following car, slipstreaming i.e. gaining a tow, will be more difficult.

Yes, the tow is caused by the air being dragged by the car in front reducing the effective air speed experienced by the following car and thus reducing drag, but it's the same reduction in air speed that makes the following car lose downforce. If the following car can follow more closely because it's not losing so much downforce, it must also follow that the effective air speed is higher for the following car and thus drag is also higher. Ergo, the tow will be less effective.

SmallSoldier

Marty_Y wrote:

Slipstream won’t be as effective, but if the cars are closer coming out of a corner, the need for it is also diminished… We still have DRS and that should compensate for it too.

The problem so far has always been staying close to the car in front… It was very telling in for example the Saudi race that someone could close the gap to car in front in S3, but as soon as they enter S1, the car in front pulled almost a second ahead simply due to dirty air… If this is solved, it should improve racing (or at least I keep telling that myself in hopes of a great season!)

Big Tea

When are we likely to see the first wet running? anything look a possibility before July?
Australia?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.