Hybrid technology trend tyrannizing auto racing world in last 13 years. Hybrid, hydrogen & EV the future of auto racing?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
theriusDR3

Hybrid technology trend tyrannizing auto racing world in last 13 years. Hybrid, hydrogen & EV the future of auto racing?

Peugeot 908HDi LMP1 Hybrid in 2008

The first-ever year of KERS Hybrid in Formula 1 (2009)

The first-ever year of ERS Hybrid in Formula 1 (2014)

The first-ever year of PHEV Hybrid in World Rally Championship (2022)

The trend of Hybrid technology in auto racing world was started in 2008 when Peugeot unveiled the 908HDi LMP1 Hybrid. In 2009, Formula 1 made a radical change by introduced the simpler hybrid technology called KERS and has in place until 2013 (except 2010).

In 2014, Formula 1 upgraded their hybrid technology by replacing KERS with more technological and state-of-the-art ERS that includes MGU-K, MGU-H, CE, hybrid battery and others. FIA World Rally Championship followed suit by introduced the Hybrid technology together with Rally1 transition. IndyCar Series is expecting Hybrid introduction next year while NASCAR Cup is expecting by 2024.

Hybrid technology in auto racing world is growing tyrannically in last 13 years because of the trend of PHEV, MHEV & HEV road cars growing in last 2 decades.

Your opinions?

Andres125sx

Re: Hybrid technology trend tyrannizing auto racing world in last 13 years. Hybrid, hydrogen & EV the future of auto rac

My opinion is this should have been done around 4 decades back, but petrol companies are just too powerful :evil: Without their manipulations maybe today we would be enjoying EVs with similar weight than ICE, at lower cost, with all the advantages (maintainace, durability, torque, no warm up, no vibrations, no smoke...)

But after decades ignoring the technology, now the world is in a hurry :roll:

Then hibrids are just the way to push battery development to reach the stupid schedules, taking the best of both worlds (for road cars), but at a considerable economical cost.

In racing hibrid is a lot more questionable, but as stated now the world is in a hurry and they´re trying to speed up battery development.

Same as a poor student trying to learn the whole lesson 24h before the exam #-o

Zynerji

Re: Hybrid technology trend tyrannizing auto racing world in last 13 years. Hybrid, hydrogen & EV the future of auto rac

I'm not a fan of hybrid/ev in racing. Just like every other sport, it should be separated by boys and girls.

Andres125sx

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:42
Why 4 decades?
First number wich came to my mind, didn´t bother to think about the exact timeframe

Andres125sx

Zynerji wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 02:23
I'm not a fan of hybrid/ev in racing. Just like every other sport, it should be separated by boys and girls.
Not true in motorsports as recently shown in Dakar

Cristina Gutierrez (driver) was 3rd in T3 category of the toughest race in the world

Maybe junior-senior would be more appropiatte :wink:

TimW

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 08:53
nzjrs wrote:
Why 4 decades?
First number wich came to my mind, didn´t bother to think about the exact timeframe
The first commercial hybrid(Toyota Prius) came out 25 years ago. Sounds about right that out should have been explored in racing 10 years earlier.

mclaren111

theriusDR3 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 14:24
https://www.dailysportscar.com/wp-conte ... MP1-04.jpg
Peugeot 908HDi LMP1 Hybrid in 2008

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... MP4-24.jpg
The first-ever year of KERS Hybrid in Formula 1 (2009)

https://static.republika.co.id/uploads/ ... 526-2.jpeg
The first-ever year of ERS Hybrid in Formula 1 (2014)

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... s-rall.jpg
The first-ever year of PHEV Hybrid in World Rally Championship (2022)

The trend of Hybrid technology in auto racing world was started in 2008 when Peugeot unveiled the 908HDi LMP1 Hybrid. In 2009, Formula 1 made a radical change by introduced the simpler hybrid technology called KERS and has in place until 2013 (except 2010).

In 2014, Formula 1 upgraded their hybrid technology by replacing KERS with more technological and state-of-the-art ERS that includes MGU-K, MGU-H, CE, hybrid battery and others. FIA World Rally Championship followed suit by introduced the Hybrid technology together with Rally1 transition. IndyCar Series is expecting Hybrid introduction next year while NASCAR Cup is expecting by 2024.

Hybrid technology in auto racing world is growing tyrannically in last 13 years because of the trend of PHEV, MHEV & HEV road cars growing in last 2 decades.

Your opinions?

It's the usual suspect... Greed... It's all about Making Money... There are more than enough other ways to reduce the CO2 effect if you believe the "Climate Crisis"...

The Climate change that has taken place in the last 40 years is not nearly as bad as the "experts" claim... They are making money out of this fear mongering...

Take Trees as an example... Absorbs CO2 and produces Oxygen... Yet it's used & abused by many industries without proper Replacement taking place because nobody makes money planting trees for this purpose...

Tommy Cookers

nzjrs wrote:
Why 4 decades?
4 decades ago .....
the power electronics devices that enable eg solar and wind and electric cars hadn't been invented

the green thing reached a critical mass c.1975 with OPEC
but all we had was lead-acid batteries and SCRs for MG control - on 'Tomorrow's World'

AC electric trains had on-board thermionic rectification for DC motors - variable frequency AC didn't exist
DC motor control using potentiometric dumping
huge losses - as waste heat

Zynerji

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 09:09
Zynerji wrote:
Not true in motorsports as recently shown in Dakar

Cristina Gutierrez (driver) was 3rd in T3 category of the toughest race in the world
https://phantom-marca.unidadeditorial.e ... 857363.jpg

Maybe junior-senior would be more appropiatte :wink:
I think you missed the sarcasm in my humor in that one...🤣

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
Why should it be?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 18:34
Zynerji wrote:
Why should it be?
Sheer, unadulterated, unapologetic purism hubris. The core concept of F1 that captured me as a fan was the mechanical simplification through relentless development. It appeared to me as an artform of design and efficiency. From the elegance of torsion bar suspension to the refined aero of 2008. These expressions of control over the natural laws of the universe are awe inspiring, and invaluable to the fundamentals of design methodology.

My perfect formula is 100% mechanical car, centrifugal supercharged 1.5l L5, spec EFI/DI system by a third party, no other sensors or electronics. and pair that with 2022 aero rules. No limits on fully mechanical and simplified suspension tech as it is the hidden art of F1. It should be publicized and embraced, not banned because "no one sees it".

NL_Fer

Everyone who ever has driven a powerful EV, knows that it is the future of driving. The instant torque, extreme acceleration, while the motor is dead silent. The driveline onder the back seats, with the low COG is the perfect configuration. The renewable energy source and CO2 reduction is just an extra bonus, while driving a comfortable saloon/suv with supercar performance.

Car manufacturers know this, and they know, developing another generation of low emission combustion engines, with superefficient gearboxes is a waste of resources.

Hybrid is the current choice, because EV racers are still to heavy and we are not ready for silent racing cars.

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 19:20
wesley123 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
Why should it be?
Sheer, unadulterated, unapologetic purism hubris. The core concept of F1 that captured me as a fan was the mechanical simplification through relentless development. It appeared to me as an artform of design and efficiency. From the elegance of torsion bar suspension to the refined aero of 2008. These expressions of control over the natural laws of the universe are awe inspiring, and invaluable to the fundamentals of design methodology.
EV would literally be the way of efficiency. Also, there is so much that you can do with EV, things that realistically aren't (fully) possible in gasoline cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:41
Zynerji wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 19:20
wesley123 wrote:

Why should it be?
EV would literally be the way of efficiency. Also, there is so much that you can do with EV, things that realistically aren't (fully) possible in gasoline cars.
Yep. And it looses its mechanical appeal to me.

It seems inevitable, but I'm sure something purist will come along to capture all of the lost eyeballs that the EV/hybrid drives away from F1.🙏