2022 pecking order speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who comes out on top in the new regs?

Mercedes
26%
Red Bull
23%
Ferrari
28%
McLaren
13%
Aston Martin
2%
Williams
2%
Haas
2%
Alfa Romeo
0%
Alpine
4%
Alpha Tauri
0%

Total votes: 446

Schuttelberg

Re: 2022 pecking order speculation

Just hope 1-2 teams have not aced it.

More 2010/12 style multi driver WDC WCC please.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Henri

Ferrari and Mercedes will be the top 2 🏅

continuum16

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 16:42
I really can not decide what to think about Sauber this year. On history, they should be lower midfield, but would Bottas have gone there just to make the numbers up?
I'm in the same boat. Lat year they technically had the largest jump in pace of any team, but they were so far off in 2020 that it did not register in the points haul. This is despite not having the improved Ferrari engine in the second half of the year. I think the PU gain will easily be 0.5s per lap relative to their 2021 pace. At the last reg change in 2017 they had a real cash problem, so I'm not really sure how they are going to fare in new regs with a decent budget.

I don't think Bottas to Alfa is a Hamilton/Mercedes 2012 level of premonition, but I would not be surprised to see a similar level to AlphaTauri this year. They still have good facilities and now can have the confidence that (over one lap at least) their lead driver can actually extract a representative time. If Ferrari pull a PU masterclass they could easily finish P5 minimum.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

PlatinumZealot

Thanks to sponsors Zhou attracted, Sauber will is close to the budget cap for 2022. Can only be a good thing for their development. The last time Sauber had good budget they were podium contenders. When they had manufacturer budget they contended for wins.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 19:11
Thanks to sponsors Zhou attracted, Sauber will is close to the budget cap for 2022. Can only be a good thing for their development. The last time Sauber had good budget they were podium contenders. When they had manufacturer budget they contended for wins.
Don’t underestimate the force of having a few thousand of BMW engineers in the background during those years, same with Daimler, that makes a big difference, whatever your budget is.

Blackout

gcdugas wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 00:07
1. I think that there will be more emphasis on suspension than ever before. Maintaining an effective "seal" with the new underbody tunnels will be high on everyone's list. Added to that the 18" lower profile tyres will require more movement and compliance from the actual suspension components than the old 13" tyres with taller sidewalls. Traditionally McLaren has always excelled in this area.
2. But also traditionally, in any year with massive new aero rules, Adrian Newey cars were the best out of the chute right away. True in 1996, 1998 and 2010 after the 2009 blown diffuser was outlawed. Adrian always debuted his cars very mature and it took the rest of the grid a full year to achieve 85% aero parity.
3. And we can't rule out that some midfield team sees something in the regs that everyone else misses. Look at 2009 when Ross Brawn saw the blown diffuser and they owned the rest of the grid for the first dozen races before Newey and Vettel could give them any trouble.
4. Merc traditionally excels at tyre temp management. Supposedly the 2022 tyres can be raced more aggressively for longer. This could gather the field closer if less is to be gained via brake heat to the rims etc.
5. Because of suspension issues, I would not be surprised to see McLaren beat Mercedes on merit for 2022 before Merc catches up in 2023. I think Red Bull is the favorite to win both titles this year... unless Ferrari surprises, and it would be a huge surprise. A dark horse would be for Renault's new engine architecture to bear fruit and move them into the top four a head of Ferrari.

Constructors Championship
1. Red Bull
2. Mac or Merc
3. Merc or Mac
4. Ferrari
5. Alpha Tauri
6. Aston Martin
7. Renault
8. Alfa Romeo
9. Haas
10. Williams
With 2 years old chassis and engine in 2020, and 3 years old chassis and engine in 2021, Renault/Alpine finished 5th in the championship (and fought for P3 when that car wasnt too old). So I doubt they finish 7th in 2022, with a chassis and engine that they focussed on in the last 3 years... and with the capped budget...*
Renault scarified 2020 for 2022, and they didn't do that to finish behind their closest competitors in 2022... Their closest competitors, MCL/AM/AT are in no way better, they just focused more on the short term, while Renault scarified the short term by freezing their 2019 chassis and engine, and gambled with 2020 (they couldn't predict Covid), to put all the saved ressources and time on 2022.

*Unless they do an R29/E22/F14T/Mp4-24 of course...

Neno

If Alpine is anything worse than top 4 and not in fight in podium for every race they are by 2025 out F1. So when you speculate doogie poo like that for 2022. You speculate manufacturers leaving F1. So I want you to include that into yours speculations and wishes.

DChemTech

Neno wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 12:51
If Alpine is anything worse than top 4 and not in fight in podium for every race they are by 2025 out F1. So when you speculate doogie poo like that for 2022. You speculate manufacturers leaving F1. So I want you to include that into yours speculations and wishes.
Wishful thinking should not affect speculations, though.
A team leaving due to persistent poor results may be a consequence, but why should it affect any predictions/speculations on pecking order?

Neno

DChemTech wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 13:21
Neno wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 12:51
Wishful thinking should not affect speculations, though.
A team leaving due to persistent poor results may be a consequence, but why should it affect any predictions/speculations on pecking order?
Wishful thinking is everything what everyone writes in this thread. Which includes you. It's in definition of this thread under word speculation.

Henri

Ferrari and Mercedes top 2

bauc

Mclaren VS Ferrari for the title like in the good old days
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Just_a_fan

bauc wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:19
If we want to really go back to the good old days, how about Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Mercedes battling for the title? Pirelli were part of that too, of course. It fits the idea perfectly! And it would give a nice three team battle. What more could the fans ask? 8) =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bauc

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:34
bauc wrote:
If we want to really go back to the good old days, how about Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Mercedes battling for the title? Pirelli were part of that too, of course. It fits the idea perfectly! And it would give a nice three team battle. What more could the fans ask? 8) =D>
If this gives us a super season why not :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

[-o< [-o<
bauc wrote:

Hell Yes Please... Mclaren for Victory... [-o< [-o<

MV8
MV8

Can we just talk about racing?
I don't know why in the last days all the topics are full of off-topic comments fr.
Just posting