2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
henry

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Big Tea wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 16:28
When are we likely to see the first wet running? anything look a possibility before July?
Australia?
And will these cars be better, worse or just the same in the wet?

Given there seems to be a consensus that they will be sensitive to ride height and they all get the same increase in ride height from the tyres might it be difficult to optimise for both heights? Mercedes have typically optimised for the majority conditions, circuit type, weather etc. might they sacrifice wet performance to focus on dry, that being the vast majority of running.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Big Tea

henry wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 18:13
Big Tea wrote:
When are we likely to see the first wet running? anything look a possibility before July?
Australia?

Given there seems to be a consensus that they will be sensitive to ride height and they all get the same increase in ride height from the tyres might it be difficult to optimise for both heights? Mercedes have typically optimised for the majority conditions, circuit type, weather etc. might they sacrifice wet performance to focus on dry, that being the vast majority of running.
That and have the wet tyre even been tested? Also we may have some interesting flows visible around the cars, will they match 'the drawings' .
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 01:04
Marty_Y wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 22:43
I was watching this video, in general it's just more of the same basic information. But there was one interesting bit about slipstreams, earlier in this thread someone asked if slipstreaming would still be as affective in the new cars and in this video there's a quote attributed to Lando Norris saying that it won't be as affective.

It's only a short video but most of it is stuff that you've probably heard before or already know.

Slipstream won’t be as effective, but if the cars are closer coming out of a corner, the need for it is also diminished… We still have DRS and that should compensate for it too.

The problem so far has always been staying close to the car in front… It was very telling in for example the Saudi race that someone could close the gap to car in front in S3, but as soon as they enter S1, the car in front pulled almost a second ahead simply due to dirty air… If this is solved, it should improve racing (or at least I keep telling that myself in hopes of a great season!)
No regulation can fix that, it's like the movie Time Cop, the same matter can't occupy the same space.
Saishū kōnā

Marty_Y

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... s/7707623/

What can we really expect from the 2022 F1 car designs?
By Matt Somerfield

jumpingfish

Big Tea wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 18:30
henry wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
Australia?

That and have the wet tyre even been tested? Also we may have some interesting flows visible around the cars, will they match 'the drawings' .

MIKEY_!

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 10:45
k.ko100v wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 10:42
west52keep64 wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 13:30
I'm surprised these nose examples by jjn9128 haven't been posted here:

It's almost a little sad to see how restricted the nose has become, I hope we see a little more variation than this.
I am wondering is a solution like this possible:
https://imgur.com/egW8uBb.jpg
There's a couple of rules you might be up against, minimum radius of curvature in plan-view and minimum angle of tangency as projected from the leading edge angle of the wing volume.
Yes, my understanding is that to raise the nose you would need to have a shorter nose that only just satisfies RS-CH-NOSE, and have the lower flap of the front wing sitting in front of the nose and also elevated. Imagine a DW12 and the short nosed FOM model had a baby together. I sketched this out over your regulation boxes (thanks for posting those by the way!), and this layout would get the tip of the nose above the lower edge of the driver's heels. The minimum angle of tangency means a nose this high would sacrifice a lot of front wing area. The consensus seems to be that these cars are likely to be rear limited so giving up a little front wing to get cleaner air to the floor may be a good trade. Unless I'm missing another regulation that keeps the nose low?

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 05:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:
I was watching this video, in general it's just more of the same basic information. But there was one interesting bit about slipstreams, earlier in this thread someone asked if slipstreaming would still be as affective in the new cars and in this video there's a quote attributed to Lando Norris saying that it won't be as affective.

It's only a short video but most of it is stuff that you've probably heard before or already know.

Slipstream won’t be as effective, but if the cars are closer coming out of a corner, the need for it is also diminished… We still have DRS and that should compensate for it too.

The problem so far has always been staying close to the car in front… It was very telling in for example the Saudi race that someone could close the gap to car in front in S3, but as soon as they enter S1, the car in front pulled almost a second ahead simply due to dirty air… If this is solved, it should improve racing (or at least I keep telling that myself in hopes of a great season!)
No regulation can fix that, it's like the movie Time Cop, the same matter can't occupy the same space.
It can never be fixed with any kind of downforce cars, but it can be mitigated. If cars are able to follow at 0.4-0.6s instead of 0.8-1s then DRS as it is would become way to powerful almost immediately. Hopefully new regs will be able to achieve that.

Big Tea

jumpingfish wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 08:22
Big Tea wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 18:30
henry wrote:

https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 4091926530
Ah, thanks
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Godius

Are vented nose cones such as RBR sported over the past years still allowed in one way or another?

Stu

Godius wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 18:38
Are vented nose cones such as RBR sported over the past years still allowed in one way or another?
Not to the same degree, there is now a limit on any openings in the nose & it also states that they should only be for driver cooling.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 05:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:

Indy Car manages it better, it’s not strange to see drivers in within a second of each other for most of the lap and for several laps… We’ll find out soon enough

mclaren111

Rosario Giuliana / rosf1design:

In "broad lines", this is what a 2022 car should look like:

Better looking than FIA Car...

jjn9128

Also probably illegal. I hope what teams come up with will look more purposeful than the “styled” FOM model but I’m not super optimistic.

We’ll see.
Last edited by jjn9128 on 31 Jan 2022, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 15:44
Also probably illegal. I hope what teams come up with will look more purposeful than styled but I’m not super optimistic.

We’ll see.
I think the teams proved function over form with the 2012 d*ck noses...🤣

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 15:50
jjn9128 wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 15:44
Also probably illegal. I hope what teams come up with will look more purposeful than styled but I’m not super optimistic.

We’ll see.
I think the teams proved function over form with the 2012 d*ck noses...🤣
2014. 2012 was the year of the platypus 😂
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica