Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DChemTech

Re: Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

AeroDynamic wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:18
features that are standing out compared to previous Show car

· Tapered nose
· Small Sidepod inlets
· Inward curving fronting end plates.
· Triangular Rollhoop
· Sidepods swoop downward with downwash design as was common on previous regs.

far end corner of wing is very narrow in contrast to a pronounced and highly raised mid section of each wing plane?
Yes, the curvature of the front wing seems much more pronounced than for the show model.

timbo

Not much visible, but here's the detail of the underfloor entrance

godlameroso

I remember asking who would make a duck tail spoiler out of the beam wing.

I also like what they've done with the front wing. At first glance it looks like a 3 strake floor.
Saishū kōnā

MercAMGF1Fans

Looks like they've stuck with Pushrod front suspension for the render.. but I wouldn't be surprised if they have Pullrod on the real car

NathanOlder

Holm86 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:08
No DRS actuator yet

Haas probably spent most time on the 2022 car of all the teams, they are sooooo confident that they dont need DRS, their thought is, "If Mick is in front, he cant use DRS anyway, so we dont need it" :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Blackout

Are they using the sidepod upper bodywork now (not just the undercut) to create the much dreaded outwash? bad news for F1 if this becomes a trend :lol:
The sidepod intakes have been pushed forward too. Some journos said Ferrari or RB is doing the same...
The very wide sidpopd bodywork suggest completely different radiator angling and positioning too

Blackout

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:34
Holm86 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:08
No DRS actuator yet

Haas probably spent most time on the 2022 car of all the teams, they are sooooo confident that they dont need DRS, their thought is, "If Mick is in front, he cant use DRS anyway, so we dont need it" :lol:
Renault/Alpine has probably spent even more time on the 2022 car than Haas.

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:29

I also like what they've done with the front wing. At first glance it looks like a 3 strake floor.
what do you mean by duck-tail?

The 4th strake will be like a 2-element wing behind one of the other strakes - to add free boundary layer and prevent stall.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ScrewCaptain27

Do we know if they are making their own suspension arms/internals now or are they still buying them from Ferrari?
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

AeroDynamic

Alright, here's some high res versions of the images, including Shadow Detail Enhancement, and some cropped editions for convenient browsing:

Rear Floor

Front End

Rear and Diffuser

Front Side view

Full Res + Enhanced

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:29

They haven't done so. They've used a highly cambered aerofoil section. A spoiler is attached to the bodywork. This is a wing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Interesting that the front wheel "mud guard" appears to have a slot in it. I assumed this was a standard FIA-mandated part with little in the way of wiggle room for the teams.

Interesting to see the outer most floor strake shape. Looking to promote a vortex that runs down the side the floor, presumably. I think the strake design is the area that will see differences between the teams initially but they'll converge over the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

It's not a looker IMO
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

levidrugi

Lol, this look like a Lada Niva stock rim:

I wonder how much research teams put into the placement of those holes on the rims. It can be quite functional in maintaining tyre a break temps.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:50
Interesting that the front wheel "mud guard" appears to have a slot in it. I assumed this was a standard FIA-mandated part with little in the way of wiggle room for the teams.

Interesting to see the outer most floor strake shape. Looking to promote a vortex that runs down the side the floor, presumably. I think the strake design is the area that will see differences between the teams initially but they'll converge over the season.
It always did since the silverstone model!

Agree - will be looking to create some down and outwash I believe.
#aerogandalf