Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:40
godlameroso wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 13:29
I remember asking who would make a duck tail spoiler out of the beam wing.

I also like what they've done with the front wing. At first glance it looks like a 3 strake floor.
what do you mean by duck-tail?

The 4th strake will be like a 2-element wing behind one of the other strakes - to add free boundary layer and prevent stall.
A not too cambered profile meant to be an extension for the diffuser primarily.

They seem to be placing one of the strakes to follow the contour of the plank/floor/bib/t-tray thingymajig.
Saishū kōnā

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... 2-f1-cars/

Gary Anderson basically confirming the pushrod suspension isn't "Real"

MrCelroy
MrCelroy

Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

levidrugi
levidrugi

I keep reading comments on multiple sites that this render is the same as the f1 spec showcased in Silverstone.

This looks to be genuine, but I believe they have multiple versions for the sidepod, so they adjust it depending on cooling requirements. Or is that part of the crash structure?

Giando

Render or not, there's something interesting in the front wing area.

The structural part of the front wing attached to the nose cone is the first flap, the red one (or maybe a combination of the first, second and third) which then sustains the side vertical rounded panels... so the bigger main profile of the front wing is kind of suspended between the side panels and never touches the nose cone.

jjn9128

Giando wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 15:22
Render or not, there's something interesting in the front wing area.

The structural part of the front wing attached to the nose cone is the first flap, the red one (or maybe a combination of the first, second and third) which then sustains the side vertical rounded panels... so the bigger main profile of the front wing is kind of suspended between the side panels and never touches the nose cone.

Yes one of the FOM versions had the same thing. What surprises me is that the tip of the wing is so pointed.

Anyway it's only a render and not even their latest spec, so all will be different by Barca and even more so by Bahrain.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Formula Wrong

Kind of a shame they continue "hiding" the real nose shape with the black colour. Judging from the renders the actual shape still looks pretty nice, no "thumb" that would need to be hidden.
Giando wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 15:22
I actually thought all the wing profiles had to be attached to the sides of the nose similar to Indycar. Since that apparently isn't the case, I'd assume all teams have gone for such a "suspended" main profile.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

stan_french
stan_french

bauc wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 15:01
wowgr8 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 14:58
bauc wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 14:53
This render car looks so fat/wide its just does not ''feel right'' to me....

I will preserve my judgment till I see the actual car but this is just weird and obviously a mix of two different concepts.
It doesn't bode well for Haas or Ferrari if the sidepods have to be that wide, it's as though we've gone back 5 years packaging wise. I hope this is some sort of early version of the car, like the W10 in the first week of testing
I agree, if the cooling solutions require the car to have this wide ''wall'' around the sidepods then this might hurt them, but again this is a new concept and we will need to see how this will look like from the real photos and what will be the philosophy behind it.

I agree on this too, but a quick question: isnt the super wide side pods also super undesirable for the center of mass? Im especially thinking in cornering because it will add weight on the outside of the car?

Could it like unbalance the car and create also unnecessary strain on the suspension?

Emag
Emag

wowgr8 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 14:46
And sacrifice airflow to the coke bottle and diffuser? Wouldn't that be hugely counterproductive? I don't understand why they're so wide at the front but vertically they were limited in where they could place the radiators by the regulations and the high mounted inlets no longer being possible
I agree with those points, but it just seems too crude not to be an intentional design choice. It's like going back in time several years with this sort of packaging. I highly doubt the new Ferrari engine requires extreme cooling solutions.

SiLo

What are the restrictions on the radius they can have on the sidepods? It might be that they are meeting some requirement and have just smoothed everything out which makes it look bulky.
Felipe Baby!

Blackout

SiLo wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:30
What are the restrictions on the radius they can have on the sidepods? It might be that they are meeting some requirement and have just smoothed everything out which makes it look bulky.
No it's just a deliberate technical choice from Haas

Zynerji

Didn't Sauber come up with a super compact sidepod for 2013 after Perez's crash at Monaco 2012?

I can't wait to see what Alfa Romeo brings after seeing this whale...

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:45
Didn't Sauber come up with a super compact sidepod for 2013 after Perez's crash at Monaco 2012?

Side impact structures are spec. The monocoque is also wider now - an 80mm lip from the cockpit opening template rather than 60mm. Plus there's some spec shape for the fuel cell which may have pushed the rads outboard.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:48
Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:45

Side impact structures are spec. The monocoque is also wider now - an 80mm lip from the cockpit opening template rather than 60mm. Plus there's some spec shape for the fuel cell which may have pushed the rads outboard.
So, you are saying its reasonable to think all cars may present with huge sidepods and tiny openings?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Blackout wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:31
SiLo wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:30
No it's just a deliberate technical choice from Haas
From that view, it makes me wonder if the idea is to use the front of the sidepod to deflect air laterally and then the shape of the rear end encourages air flow down from above the car on to the rear floor. If you can't use big bargeboards to move air laterally, using the outermost strake and the sidepod front face to do it seems like the next best idea.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.