Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier

Re: Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

By @baiinzy

Edited picture to show beam wing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theVortexCreatorY250

The floor edge (prior to the rear wheel) is completely stock and we can expect a vortex tunnel there.
Also the beam wing is allowed to be two sections so that is completely stock as well.

Still cool to see a car which isn't a show car. Exicted for the 'actual cars'.
I create vortices

godlameroso

west52keep64 wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 23:55
This is by no means perfect, but I think this shows how they ended up with this strange side pod inlet:

https://i.imgur.com/cHGN1Xw.png

You can see the bodywork for the inlet is within the orange triangle, this is the RV-RBW-SPOD volume.
Am I reading this right? So the engine cover can taper down to 250mm?
Saishū kōnā

Sevach

Pretty close to 0 rake.

JPBD1990

west52keep64 wrote:
This is by no means perfect, but I think this shows how they ended up with this strange side pod inlet:

You can see the bodywork for the inlet is within the orange triangle, this is the RV-RBW-SPOD volume.
I asked this very question over in the Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread, so thanks so much for providing this info!

I suspected all along that the F1 show car sidepod inlets were too big - I’d imagine there simply isn’t the cooling requirement the size of those inlets imply… it therefore stands to reason that if the size/volume itself is restricted, that the inlets themselves would be smaller and simply not fill the space.

I guess Haas’ interpretation is to have a small, inboard inlet. I suppose it’s open to interpretation to have a long, thin one extending the length of that volume, etc, so we might see some interesting designs in this area.

wowgr8

west52keep64 wrote:

The tapering towards the front of the box is meant to encourage that angled inlet styling, no? So that's why we didn't see that styling on the Haas sidepod. The FIA are naive if they didn't think teams would totally use that as a "loophole" so to speak rather than for styling the sidepod inlet

It looks so odd having the inlets that far forward ahead of the driver

FW17

How is the first element of the front wing flat to the ground? I thought the development boxes has a distinct slope from center to the edge.

timbo

FW17 wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 08:49
How is the first element of the front wing flat to the ground? I thought the development boxes has a distinct slope from center to the edge.
Perhaps a combination of a sweep and dihedral.

Blackout

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:50
Blackout wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:31
https://i.imgur.com/HlNHPx7.jpg
SiLo wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:30
What are the restrictions on the radius they can have on the sidepods? It might be that they are meeting some requirement and have just smoothed everything out which makes it look bulky.
No it's just a deliberate technical choice from Haas
From that view, it makes me wonder if the idea is to use the front of the sidepod to deflect air laterally and then the shape of the rear end encourages air flow down from above the car on to the rear floor. If you can't use big bargeboards to move air laterally, using the outermost strake and the sidepod front face to do it seems like the next best idea.
Makes sense
And Anderson said about those very forward-placed sidepod inlets that "They are quite small in open area too but they are in a very clean area for airflow"

So if I had to guess I would say:

- Haas placed the sidepod intakes in the cleanest airflow possible
---> to make them as small as possible
---> to have a lot of sidepod bodywork to play with, taking advantage of the maximum allowed volume
---> they shaped that bodywork like an outwashy wing, similar to the floor stakes
---> in order to create a high pressure zone in that area of the sidepods (the green one)
---> to encourage air to flow in lower pressure zones: the undercut and the ramp behind the sidepods, the inlet, and the siedpod sides
#eye-integrated-CFD

Fer.Fan

Blackout wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 10:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:50
Blackout wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 16:31
https://i.imgur.com/HlNHPx7.jpg

No it's just a deliberate technical choice from Haas
From that view, it makes me wonder if the idea is to use the front of the sidepod to deflect air laterally and then the shape of the rear end encourages air flow down from above the car on to the rear floor. If you can't use big bargeboards to move air laterally, using the outermost strake and the sidepod front face to do it seems like the next best idea.
Makes sense
And Anderson said about those very forward-placed sidepod inlets that "They are quite small in open area too but they are in a very clean area for airflow"

So if I had to guess I would say:

- Haas placed the sidepod intakes in the cleanest airflow possible
---> to make them as small as possible
---> to have a lot of sidepod bodywork to play with, taking advantage of the maximum allowed volume
---> they shaped that bodywork like an outwashy wing, similar to the floor stakes
---> in order to create a high pressure zone in that area of the sidepods (the green one)
---> to encourage air to flow in lower pressure zones: the undercut and the ramp behind the sidepods, the inlet, and the siedpod sides
#eye-integrated-CFD
https://i.imgur.com/TgvPSXY.jpg

The new Haas VF22 is similar concept as old cars from 90. Just look how much sidepods are lower. Due to new safety rules, sidepods must take 100% more inpact and therefor are bit wider. Same for the nose, the nose must take 50% more inpact and is bit wider. The car looked a bit odd but it all make sense now.We can aspect same concept on new Ferrari F1-75.

JPBD1990

I think, because the sidepod size/volume is closely controlled in the regulations, that we will see the main differences between teams in this area. Eg this is one solution - could another be a long, slim ‘slit’ going further outward in the ‘volume’ of the sidepod? Could one be long, but vertical, leaving a similar amount of blank volume protruding outside the air intake?

I don’t necessarily think it will be similar on the Ferrari just because this is what Haas has done. It will be interesting to see if the teams converge here, suggesting one ‘superior’ solution, or if they’re all different. Can’t wait!

west52keep64

godlameroso wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 04:17
west52keep64 wrote:

Am I reading this right? So the engine cover can taper down to 250mm?
Not quite, that's the plank you are seeing. I used the underside view of the volumes because the sidepod volume was much clearer on this view.
wowgr8 wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 06:37
west52keep64 wrote:

The tapering towards the front of the box is meant to encourage that angled inlet styling, no? So that's why we didn't see that styling on the Haas sidepod. The FIA are naive if they didn't think teams would totally use that as a "loophole" so to speak rather than for styling the sidepod inlet

It looks so odd having the inlets that far forward ahead of the driver
Yes it appears so, and if you imagine the Haas inlets extended wider, they would have to be tapered back giving that styling seen in the show car. I imagine teams actually don't want the swept back outlets, possibly because they aren't a great solution aerodynamically. If teams want more traditional inlets they have one of two options:
  • the Haas solution with the inlets put at the very front of the sidepod volume before it starts to taper,
  • or setting the inlets back within the sidepod inlet volume.
Haas have gone somewhat extreme here to push the packaging as far forward as possible, and the photos we've seen of the McLaren so far suggest they may have done the same.

jh199

Can someone clarify what y'all are talking about when you say the sidepod shape will push the front tire wake outboard? I don't see how this would work. The sidepods are wide, yes, but they're still lower than the top of the tires (allowing some tire wake to flow into the void left behind the sidepod) and still feature a pretty substantial undercut. To me, this would mean that the clean air wraps around the top and bottom of the sidepods, not really creating a wall of air to keep the front tire wake away.

In the photos below, I would expect the air from the centerline to wrap over and around the sidepods (blue), the adjacent air to wrap down the sidepod and move toward the floor (green), some air would go straight into the sidepod (yellow), and then the lower air would go down and around the sidepods or under the floor (orange). I don't see how air would travel around the outermost section of the sidepod to push the tire wake outboard. Further, the massive void left behind the sidepods should then bring some of the tire wake toward the rear wing. Right?

Stu

jh199 wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 02:03
Can someone clarify what y'all are talking about when you say the sidepod shape will push the front tire wake outboard? I don't see how this would work. The sidepods are wide, yes, but they're still lower than the top of the tires (allowing some tire wake to flow into the void left behind the sidepod) and still feature a pretty substantial undercut. To me, this would mean that the clean air wraps around the top and bottom of the sidepods, not really creating a wall of air to keep the front tire wake away.

In the photos below, I would expect the air from the centerline to wrap over and around the sidepods (blue), the adjacent air to wrap down the sidepod and move toward the floor (green), some air would go straight into the sidepod (yellow), and then the lower air would go down and around the sidepods or under the floor (orange). I don't see how air would travel around the outermost section of the sidepod to push the tire wake outboard. Further, the massive void left behind the sidepods should then bring some of the tire wake toward the rear wing. Right?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/518 ... f74e_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/518 ... 5aa0_c.jpg
Almost!
From CFD plots that I have seen (on this forum) of how the front tyre wake behaves with the new regs the tyre wake will be drawn into the undercut area on the Haas.
If it works how I think it could/should the small ‘side-wing’ that the regs allow along the floor edge will then re-energise that flow into a vortex along the floor edge which then flows to the rear of the car exiting roughly where the rear wheel ‘deflectors’ are located.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jh199

Stu wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 09:12
jh199 wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 02:03

Almost!
From CFD plots that I have seen (on this forum) of how the front tyre wake behaves with the new regs the tyre wake will be drawn into the undercut area on the Haas.
If it works how I think it could/should the small ‘side-wing’ that the regs allow along the floor edge will then re-energise that flow into a vortex along the floor edge which then flows to the rear of the car exiting roughly where the rear wheel ‘deflectors’ are located.
Wouldn't the 'side-wing' only control the turbulence near the floor? Leaving the majority of the upper front tire wake to interfere with the rear wing as it's drawn toward the body? And when you say rear wheel 'deflectors', are those located on the inside of the rear tires?

Also, where can I find those CFD plots you speak of? Is it somewhere in the aerodynamic regulations thread?