Moderation team changes

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
coaster

Re: Moderation team changes

Thanks to all 'pullng the levers' behind the scene to keep the show rolling.

Brian.G

Thanks to all past mods, current mods and admin, and a big welcome to the new mods!

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

AeroDynamic

Welcome to the staff. Congrats 🥳

How about A debrief :lol:

As a staff member you can now follow trace IP addresses, look at time stamps for when any member, including fellow staff, visited threads. Even look at a whole thread visit history of member. You can now see deleted posts that members have posted but then deleted. You can enjoy the clean up ability to move threads, sticky them, merge them, hide them, the whole lot. A staff members modCP offers the privilege to ban, and read sign up email addresses, and present ones. ---’s like The Matrix 8)

I like the private sections mostly, it is nice to have an area where you can openly talk about things candidly 😊

Tizz

Like the recent changes. It is more relaxed but let's wait till the season starts. Happy that some new moderators want to spend the time to keep it clean. One suggestion: I lost my stars (I don't mind...) but now I can no longer reward a post with a +1 if I find it valuable. Is it possible to allow upvotes even if you don't have some stars ?

Stu

Tizz wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:18
Like the recent changes. It is more relaxed but let's wait till the season starts. Happy that some new moderators want to spend the time to keep it clean. One suggestion: I lost my stars (I don't mind...) but now I can no longer reward a post with a +1 if I find it valuable. Is it possible to allow upvotes even if you don't have some stars ?
Upvotes are now only in technical sections of the forum. They were removed from the race threads last year and that has been extended to all non-technical areas.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Tizz

Stu wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 16:04
Tizz wrote:
Upvotes are now only in technical sections of the forum. They were removed from the race threads last year and that has been extended to all non-technical areas.
Yeah, I know, and that is a good change. But I do not have the time to learn and read as much on technical issues as others and appreciate the people that do and share it on the forum. It is a pity I cannot reward that with an upvote as long as I don't have some upvotes myself. I was hoping you were willing to change that.

Stu

Tizz wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 16:37
Stu wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 16:04
Tizz wrote:
Yeah, I know, and that is a good change. But I do not have the time to learn and read as much on technical issues as others and appreciate the people that do and share it on the forum. It is a pity I cannot reward that with an upvote as long as I don't have some upvotes myself. I was hoping you were willing to change that.
Aah! I see what you mean now. The best way to get into that position is to spend a bit of time reading up on stuff and then making positive contributions in responses.
When I started on the forum, I wondered whether I would ever be in a position to upvote (and it does take a while!). You do soon find that by having to interact with what is being posted your understanding increases. Most of the most valuable technical posters on the forum will take time to explain stuff and are actually happy to bounce ideas around.
If you do not feel confident/comfortable doing that publicly in the various threads, you could try PMing some of them.
The next couple of weeks will see the technical content increase massively as the new cars are launched and key features are identified and discussed.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AeroDynamic

I'm a bit confused. I'm sure I was able to upvote posts within a week or so of joining. The highest my 'score' was at that time (before the change) was about 5-8 before reaching 12 or 14.

Mine dropped to 4 and I've still been able to upvote. :?

the change is great. It promotes the discussion that belongs here. Unfortunately, some of you do not have any respect for the intention behind the change, and are still upvoting posts that are unworthy, in technical threads :|

I can only assume certain friends in a clique here are padding up peoples scores. Pathetic. It's conspicuous in some cases.

dans79

AeroDynamic wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 19:34
I can only assume certain friends in a clique here are padding up peoples scores. Pathetic. It's conspicuous in some cases.
Yea, I reported a post like that over 2 weeks ago, and nothing has been done about it. That kind of undermines the premise thats upvotes are now supposed to only be given for content of technical merit.
197 104 103 7

coaster

Great job removing ratings from fanboy content, my idea for the scout badges here must have been noticed by somebody from admin at 'grabcad', they seem to have rolled out such a change in the last few months.

wogx

1. Would it be possible to post a short, simple message, e. g. "Some posts deleted. Back on topic now" every time, when a mod is removing off-top? Usually it is done, but not in every case. Mods aren't paid unfortunately, they are working in their free time :oops: I know about it, I am grateful to them and I sincerely appreciate their work!

2. Why there is no "Drivers" category? Some news are related strictly to a person, it would be nice to have a space to chat about current/junior/ex F1 drivers.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Stu

wogx wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:43
1. Would it be possible to post a short, simple message, e. g. "Some posts deleted. Back on topic now" every time, when a mod is removing off-top? Usually it is done, but not in every case. Mods aren't paid unfortunately, they are working in their free time :oops: I know about it, I am grateful to them and I sincerely appreciate their work!
Sometimes we do (particularly if a thread is drifting), sometimes we just put a gentle reminder in a thread if it is starting to drift - if that is ignored, I just go into ‘delete-mode’!
Sometimes posts are so OT that they simply get binned (we can view deleted posts, so even as moderators we can moderate each other). Sometimes we move posts to the relevant topic (there is an great deal of team talk in car threads).
2. Why there is no "Drivers" category? Some news are related strictly to a person, it would be nice to have a space to chat about current/junior/ex F1 drivers.
Tbf there is already a huge amount of driver talk (way too much for what is a technical forum), and that is where most of the fanboy bullshit starts!! We spend most of our moderating time sifting through pointless arguments about X driver/Y driver. There are sections in the forum for Other Racing Series; but this is largely technically focussed.

west52keep64

Stu wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 09:50
wogx wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:43
Sometimes we do (particularly if a thread is drifting), sometimes we just put a gentle reminder in a thread if it is starting to drift - if that is ignored, I just go into ‘delete-mode’!
Sometimes posts are so OT that they simply get binned (we can view deleted posts, so even as moderators we can moderate each other). Sometimes we move posts to the relevant topic (there is an great deal of team talk in car threads).
Tbf there is already a huge amount of driver talk (way too much for what is a technical forum), and that is where most of the fanboy bullshit starts!! We spend most of our moderating time sifting through pointless arguments about X driver/Y driver. There are sections in the forum for Other Racing Series; but this is largely technically focussed.
Open question, do pundit interviews belong in the car threads? The car threads seem to be getting more of the cut/paste interview type rubbish that we normally see in the team threads. Should this also be moved to the team threads?

hollus

west52keep64 wrote:
11 May 2022, 20:58
Should this also be moved to the team threads?
I'd say yes. An we often move it there. But is feels like "putting doors on the fields", to cite a Spanish expression.
Rivals, not enemies.

Wouter

hollus wrote:
11 May 2022, 22:23
west52keep64 wrote:
11 May 2022, 20:58
Should this also be moved to the team threads?
I'd say yes. An we often move it there. But is feels like "putting doors on the fields", to cite a Spanish expression.
This didn't happend yesterday in the RB18 car thread. Lots of messages didn't go about the car but they are still in the car thread.
I responded in the RB18 car thread to a message about the drink bottle and I was the onlyone who got a Downvote for it.
"Should be in the team thread, not appropriate in the RB18 thread." What about all the others who responded after me?
If the posts had been moved by you mods in the RBR team thread, I wouldn't have gotten that DV.
The Power of Dreams!