Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Giando

The right push rod arm is missing from the rendering! hahah

And the section of the chassis where it joins the nose cone is super-shrinked down

tpe
tpe

Very interesting intakes!

DragonSGC

At least we also get a sneaky look at the 2022 Mercedes rear suspension before time. :D. Props on Aston for showing a fully built car, will forgive Haas as they always physically launch morning of pre-season anyways.

Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

F1NAC wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:15
Is that me or there is a missing pushrod on the left hand side, meaning they are hiding pullrod and photoshoped pushrod on right side?
There is certainly one missing. Whether the one that is visible is going to be the real one, we'll have to wait and see.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

west52keep64

About as close as I could get it in terms of alignment, gives you a general idea:

Again, sidepod as far forward as they can get it, with the inlet on the flat "face" of the legality box. Difference to the Haas is the overall width of the sidepods, they don't go out as far but they do continue further back.
Last edited by west52keep64 on 10 Feb 2022, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

timbo

First, well done Aston Martin!

Second, it seems using the front of the sidepods to manage air from the tires will be a trend this year.

Emag

So, sidepod philosophy gives me Williams 2018 vibes. Chonkers in terms of width, but huge undercut.

And that pushrod seems photoshoped on one side and missing on the other. Perhaps hiding something there. Can we confirm with the real car from the event?

F1Krof

What's going on here? The one pull-rod suspension on the left side is missing! Also note the left sidepod inlet has a vertical fin, whereas the right one does not have! Is it just me or what is going on here?
Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan

west52keep64 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:14
They've also pushed the sidepods as far forward as possible, although they've sculpted them more and appear to have a the packaging higher up.

I like the way they painted to a fake inlet to try and make it look a bit nicer!
I wonder if the "fake" bit is actually just a changeable panel. Put a different black panel in and you add more cooling air in to the sidepod. Just a thought.

Also, the black panel appears to be shaped to help direct air laterally around the shoulder of the sidepod. With a decent undercut below the sidepod too, they're obviously looking at how to flow air to the rear.

ScrewCaptain27

Emag wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:29
So, sidepod philosophy gives me Williams 2018 vibes. Chonkers in terms of width, but huge undercut.

And that pushrod seems photoshoped on one side and missing on the other. Perhaps hiding something there. Can we confirm with the real car from the event?
Yes, the real car has pushrods at the front.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

JPower

The undercut is so heavy it looks like the sidepods are suspended in mid air. Pretty cool.

west52keep64

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:31
west52keep64 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:14
They've also pushed the sidepods as far forward as possible, although they've sculpted them more and appear to have a the packaging higher up.

I like the way they painted to a fake inlet to try and make it look a bit nicer!
I wonder if the "fake" bit is actually just a changeable panel. Put a different black panel in and you add more cooling air in to the sidepod. Just a thought.

Also, the black panel appears to be shaped to help direct air laterally around the shoulder of the sidepod. With a decent undercut below the sidepod too, they're obviously looking at how to flow air to the rear.
It doesn't appear to be changeable on the high-res shots. That angled area possibly has some aero benefits, but it's also a result of the shape of the legality box. I don't think the angled inlets of the show car are a particularly good solution, teams will want their inlets to be face on, and if they want to get them as far forward as possible this is the only way to do it within the sidepod legality volume.

Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:25
Brightened High res
https://i.imgur.com/vK6Hwqp.jpg
That angle reminds me of the infamous Ferrari 92A "double floor" concept. Good aero let down by a poor engine. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.