Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

T-tray detail
via @techF1LES

Zynerji

MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:01
T-tray detail
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLPleq0UYAM ... name=large
via @techF1LES
Ooh... first "double zipper" splitter that I personally recall seeing.

bosyber

Giando wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:58
timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:53
Zynerji wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:50

Lord, the HAAS sidepods look sexy in comparison!
The volume might not be that different. The undercut is huge on the Aston Martin!
Yes it almost reminds me the F92A double floor... or at least the first iteration of the RedBull from 2006
The STR06 from 2011 too - I recall that it did work for them mostly but they left it behind because it didn't fit with the Red Bull bits they had on the 2012 car. Nice to see it tried again, I wonder whether it has more advantages and chances now with these new regulations and more under-floor downforce.

Blackout

Those 500 shark gills made the rear air outlet almost disappear.
Sidepod intakes and leading section has a similar approach to Haas. And the engine cover has many interesting shapes and undulations...
Last edited by Blackout on 10 Feb 2022, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

Re: Aston Martin AMR22 Speculation Thread

west52keep64 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:14
I like the way they painted to a fake inlet to try and make it look a bit nicer!
I hate that fake inlet paint, I think highlighting the nice rectangular inlet like the classic Ferrari 640-643 series (or other 90's Grand Prix cars) would look better. Small radiator inlets are something to be celebrated, not hidden IMO.

Assuming those heavily undercut sidepods with enormous louvres are real it is interesting as to how different they are to the HAAS. :)

Zynerji

The AM definitely seems like it's going to drive more mass flow to the rear wing.

This season is starting to show the makings of something special.🥰

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:06
west52keep64 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:14
I like the way they painted to a fake inlet to try and make it look a bit nicer!
I hate that fake inlet paint, I think highlighting the nice rectangular inlet like the classic Ferrari 640-643 series (or other 90's Grand Prix cars) would look better. Small radiator inlets are something to be celebrated, not hidden IMO.

Assuming those heavily undercut sidepods with enormous louvres are real it is interesting as to how different they are to the HAAS. :)
The "fake" inlets aren't painted. It's bare carbon.

I think we need to see what Ferrari bring to have an idea whether the Haas is real or a very early concept image. Likewise, Mercedes to see if AM have done something of their own or whether the sidepods need to be that big with the Merc PU (although I doubt it after the previous tight sidepods of the Mercs).
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 10 Feb 2022, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bosyber

Blackout wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:04
Sidepod intakes and leading section has a similar approach to Haas. And the engine cover has many interesting shapes and undulations...
With that flat shape and those gills to bleed of heat to the top it really resembles a big wingy radiator, doesn't it!

JordanMugen

F1NAC wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:15
Is that me or there is a missing pushrod on the left hand side, meaning they are hiding pullrod and photoshoped pushrod on right side?
Quite right!

The ol' asymmetric computer generated suspension trick: https://assets.astonmartinf1.com/public ... F_sRGB.jpg

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:49
Emag wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:29
So, sidepod philosophy gives me Williams 2018 vibes. Chonkers in terms of width, but huge undercut.

And that pushrod seems photoshoped on one side and missing on the other. Perhaps hiding something there. Can we confirm with the real car from the event?
The actual car has push rod suspension
I see.

Pandamasque

F1Krof wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 16:30
What's going on here? The one pull-rod suspension on the left side is missing! Also note the left sidepod inlet has a vertical fin, whereas the right one does not have! Is it just me or what is going on here?
Asymmetrical sidepod internals are nothing out of the ordinary.

Hoffman900

bosyber wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:14
Blackout wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:04
With that flat shape and those gills to bleed of heat to the top it really resembles a big wingy radiator, doesn't it!
This. You can see they’re exhausting all the internal air out the gills as opposed to out the back of the car

AeroDynamic

The AMR22 front wing end plates are very straight compared to the Haas which featured inward-to-outward curves, and the show car which leans diagonally inwards to the inside shoulder of the front wheel.

The wing planes on either side of the nose vary in proportion size. Some are smaller. it features a sweeping wave design along the top main plane of the front wing? noticeably squeezes to flat in the end plate corner like the previous Ferrari / Alfa Romeo concept that Mercedes later followed. But the inside end of the main plane dips a bit like the red bull's wing from before?

The bottom base floor plane of the front wing is also very straight towards the end but curves upward like an upper lip

The nose is tapered. Maybe a little less than the Haas?

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Feb 2022, 17:37, edited 4 times in total.

javalinex

However, cars with long, narrow bellies will seek to mount the engine further back, and may have a short gearbox, and perhaps mount a push rod suspension. By contrast, F1 cars with short bellies will have the engine closer to the driver and will need a long gearbox. In that configuration there could be a pull-rod suspension.

The location of the radiators will also vary greatly depending on the chosen layout: there will be those who keep the elements of the cooling system above the engine (Alpine?) and those who try to place them on the sides.
Last edited by javalinex on 10 Feb 2022, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:22
The AMR22 front wing end plates are very straight compared to the Haas which featured inward-to-outward curves, and the show car which leans diagonally inwards to the inside shoulder of the front wheel.
Looks more out-washy but they're sacrificing diveplane span - whereas the Haas was aiming at maximizing that.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

So it looks like Merc kept the inverted rear bottom wishbones, and angled the transmission arm a bit forward to move it away from the diffuser's top
Last edited by Blackout on 10 Feb 2022, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.