2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Giando wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 00:36
Giorgio Piola in this video says that he is highly unimpressed by the MR22.
https://youtu.be/p4U58-_zuUA
It's huge and goofy in his opinion. Too much similar to the FIA showcar.

Also, he suspect Aston could be one of the teams that "may have got it all wrong" referring to the recent words by James Allison, considering the links between Mercedes and AM.

His colleague Franco Nugnes also wrote that "the first impression is that the car could struggle to reach the minimum 795kg weight limit" (weird comment, imho, cause... on which data?)

It wouldn’t surprise me. Consider this.

Let’s say the rumours have weight to them, that AM have realised their concept road map is flawed and want to start over. They wouldn’t be afraid to show their hand with this car would they? If you’re going to completely scrap a concept then you’re not concerned if people take notes from your flawed car.

Especially if you know you’re going to turn up midway through the season with a new car concept.

Under the budget cap though, I imagine that’s kind of difficult to do. Might explain why AM were absolutely determined to secure Dan Fallows asap.

Jolle

The question could be, as Racing Point and later Aston Martin, they didn't really design a car yet. Force India struggled for a while with their designs, but at the end made a pretty decent design that was outdated when Stroll took over. He "got" some Mercedes blueprints for 2020 and 2021 was very restricted (and they struggled).

With, lets say, 5 years since they really designed a decent car, can they still? Or is a low midfield, with more ambition than speed, bit heavy, not their real place?

AeroDynamic

If AM don’t impress this year.. Vettel to retire end of ‘22?

JordanMugen

Giando wrote:
:lol:

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 00:45
Interesting, and aligns with the rumour we heard earlier in the year (and it’s been floated against post-launch) that Aston aren’t particularly happy with it… time will tell
It's possible but it all seems rather unfounded.

Jolle

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 01:15
If AM don’t impress this year.. Vettel to retire end of ‘22?
That's more a silly season question... there are a few drivers that could.. and opening seats for 2023. How will Ricciardo sail next to a firmly supported and seen as the future of McLaren? Will Alonso be happy at Alpine? Has Williams struck a golden design?

But, Vettel looks happy just racing, no pressure, Kimi Style, with an added (colourful) message.

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 01:08
The question could be, as Racing Point and later Aston Martin, they didn't really design a car yet. Force India struggled for a while with their designs, but at the end made a pretty decent design that was outdated when Stroll took over. He "got" some Mercedes blueprints for 2020 and 2021 was very restricted (and they struggled).

With, lets say, 5 years since they really designed a decent car, can they still? Or is a low midfield, with more ambition than speed, bit heavy, not their real place?
They've add alot of new people, so it's not the same people from 5 years ago. Fallows is just another piece. We'll see how it works. Still think they're driver line up will cause them to finish 2 places lower than the cars ability.

diffuser

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 00:49
Giando wrote:

Also, he suspect Aston could be one of the teams that "may have got it all wrong" referring to the recent words by James Allison, considering the links between Mercedes and AM.

His colleague Franco Nugnes also wrote that "the first impression is that the car could struggle to reach the minimum 795kg weight limit" (weird comment, imho, cause... on which data?)

Let’s say the rumours have weight to them, that AM have realised their concept road map is flawed and want to start over. They wouldn’t be afraid to show their hand with this car would they? If you’re going to completely scrap a concept then you’re not concerned if people take notes from your flawed car.

Especially if you know you’re going to turn up midway through the season with a new car concept.

Under the budget cap though, I imagine that’s kind of difficult to do. Might explain why AM were absolutely determined to secure Dan Fallows asap.
I've said this before but there isn't a big chance Fallows does anything on this years car. Lee way on parts is 8 weeks and he starts in April. He gonna need a month to get sorted... That will take us to May. So any he does comes out after July 1st. If the car is bad he's not gonna change the whole car in a month. Likely he'll set to work on next years car and retrofit 2023 parts that fit the 2022, if they help.

Henri

diffuser wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 06:27
AeroDynamic wrote:
Giando wrote:

I've said this before but there isn't a big chance Fallows does anything on this years car. Lee way on parts is 8 weeks and he starts in April. He gonna need a month to get sorted... That will take us to May. So any he does comes out after July 1st. If the car is bad he's not gonna change the whole car in a month. Likely he'll set to work on next years car and retrofit 2023 parts that fit the 2022, if they help.
These journalists haven't seen simulation data how they gpnna know of the car is bad ?.. they are spreading fud i feel they just hate aston Martin for copying Mercedes and beating ferrari lol

AeroDynamic

diffuser wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Giando wrote:

Yeah, that wasn’t really the point thought; there’s likely a lack of confidence after getting it all wrong If the rumours bear out to be true. They’ll want Dan Fallows there to begin work on the next car but to also give input and know-how on the do’s and dont’s

NAPI10

That symbolic gesture of Lance looking at Vettel at the end -

diffuser

Henri wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 07:03
diffuser wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

These journalists haven't seen simulation data how they gpnna know of the car is bad ?.. they are spreading fud i feel they just hate aston Martin for copying Mercedes and beating ferrari lol
I agree, cart before the horse. Also basing in on a car that might not look like what they'll actually produce.

SmallSoldier

Henri wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 07:03
diffuser wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Even though a lot of times they do spread BS… Some of them do have internal sources at the teams and that’s where they get their information from.

AeroDynamic

Sebs Helmet is back to its original design. The more classic.
Stands out more with the AMR22 livery.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:

They didn't design a car?? What the??

So who designed the Racing Point cars prior to 2020 then???

What a load of twoddle. Force India and later Racing Point had a reputation for designing effective cars on a tight budget.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ryar

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 20:06
Jolle wrote:

They didn't design a car?? What the??

So who designed the Racing Point cars prior to 2020 then???

What a load of twoddle. Force India and later Racing Point had a reputation for designing effective cars on a tight budget.
+1. They always punched above their weight, until when Vijay Mallya got into financial mess. Even at that point, they took a risk to mimic Mercedes W10 with a lot of success. With all the restructuring and rebuilding, it would take a while to achieve ambitious targets. After the success of BGP001 and Mercedes take over, that team struggled with complete duds for 3 years before seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It's bonkers for an armchair expert to opine that, AM don't belong.
Hakuna Matata!