Front page thread: The 2022 Formula 1 rules explained

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
the EDGE

Re: Front page thread: The 2022 Formula 1 rules explained

Is the article going to remain exclusively around the aero changes?

I understand there are mechanical changes around the suspension systems in the rules next year too,

The way the suspension is attached to the wheels has been simplified, with extended mounting points on the wheels banned, Meaning the suspension must now be attached directly within the wheel hub

Hydraulic suspension has been outlawed, meaning only the springs and dampers can control the stiffness, and Inerters attached to the suspension also banned

Does anyone have more info about this?

How will this affect cars & who is like to be affected the most from this?

jjn9128

the EDGE wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 19:26
Is the article going to remain exclusively around the aero changes?

I understand there are mechanical changes around the suspension systems in the rules next year too,

The way the suspension is attached to the wheels has been simplified, with extended mounting points on the wheels banned, Meaning the suspension must now be attached directly within the wheel hub

Hydraulic suspension has been outlawed, meaning only the springs and dampers can control the stiffness, and Inerters attached to the suspension also banned

Does anyone have more info about this?

How will this affect cars & who is like to be affected the most from this?
I'm an aerodynamicist that's a subject which interests me, and one I can write with authority about. I'm not a "tech expert" from the motorsport network.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

the EDGE

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 20:08
I'm an aerodynamicist that's a subject which interests me, and one I can write with authority about. I'm not a "tech expert" from the motorsport network.
Thanks, didn’t know that!

I’m enjoying reading it, but it’s going to take a while, whilst I try to get my head around it all

jjn9128

the EDGE wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 20:24
jjn9128 wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 20:08
Thanks, didn’t know that!

I’m enjoying reading it, but it’s going to take a while, whilst I try to get my head around it all
Try reading the actual reg and then trying to make it more accessible :lol: Thanks very much though!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

TheRoadRunner

I have not completely understood this part:
The fences are defined in a similar way that the front wing endplates have been since the 2019 rule update, specifying a “virtual surface” from which bodywork can only be offset by up to ±4mm. The fences cannot be closer than 10mm to one another at any point
How can the fences be limited to ±4mm from the virtual surface but need to be at least 10mm distant from each other. In which direction must the fence be within ±4mm of the virtual surface?

jjn9128

TheRoadRunner wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 23:08
I have not completely understood this part:
The fences are defined in a similar way that the front wing endplates have been since the 2019 rule update, specifying a “virtual surface” from which bodywork can only be offset by up to ±4mm. The fences cannot be closer than 10mm to one another at any point
How can the fences be limited to ±4mm from the virtual surface but need to be at least 10mm distant from each other. In which direction must the fence be within ±4mm of the virtual surface?
The virtual surface is 2-dimensional the actual fence has to have thickness so ±4mm from that surface. The 10mm if from the actual fence so imagine a slot gap on a wing.
#aerogandalf

michl420

Is the outside bottom of the floor on the reference plan or higher? (Or you can call it the outside fence of the venturi tunnels)

jjn9128

michl420 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 09:18
Is the outside bottom of the floor on the reference plan or higher? (Or you can call it the outside fence of the venturi tunnels)
The outer fence of the venturi is at reference plane height - except for a region at the front where there is an angled cutout basically so the cars can roll without fouling on the ground. It's given the cars the look of running nose-up rake.
#aerogandalf

michl420

Thank you

Hix_

Does anyone know if the RV and RS models are available? I've read the tech regs and they refer to the CAD Portal, but I'm guessing that is for teams only. The article appears to have CAD used in it. I'm trying to save days of work by not having to model the 2023 legality boxes for a CAD tutorial project I'm developing.
jjn9128 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 11:01
This is a thread for discussion of the front page article detailing the 2022 F1 regulations. The article is another long read and goes through each bodywork group as described in the F1 regs.

Link to the front page article

The article will be posted here in stages for discussion.

https://db3pap006files.storage.live.com ... pmode=none

jjn9128

Hix_ wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 14:11
Does anyone know if the RV and RS models are available? I've read the tech regs and they refer to the CAD Portal, but I'm guessing that is for teams only. The article appears to have CAD used in it. I'm trying to save days of work by not having to model the 2023 legality boxes for a CAD tutorial project I'm developing.
jjn9128 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 11:01
This is a thread for discussion of the front page article detailing the 2022 F1 regulations. The article is another long read and goes through each bodywork group as described in the F1 regs.

Link to the front page article

The article will be posted here in stages for discussion.

https://db3pap006files.storage.live.com ... pmode=none
I made the first set of boxes in about 2-3hrs on the night they first came out. We've said no to sharing them in the past because I feel it's imortant for designers to have control over certain aspects of the car layout - such as placement/length of the chassis, wheelbase length, placement of the diff (which affects the RIS and tail) but I'm tired so for one time only here's a link.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e62d7 ... 42675bae2b
#aerogandalf

Hix_

Great!! Thanks. I understand your thoughts on the RIS and most of the rear end. I'd parametrically link what was needed to the RWCL.

Hutchie.91

So just to hijack this thread a bit. The format of the 22 and 23 regs are quite different to previous versions and are definitely less digestible on first read in terms of syntax used.

I'm interested in doing another rear wing, this time though being legally compliant with the '23 regs.

Just to clarify I'm understanding this correct, for the rearwing endplate RV (27.1), when the FIA is defining dimensions of the lines with:
On the plane X_R= 140, a surface enclosed by the following peripheral elements:
a. A line between [410, 325], [430, 515]....etc
Are they using the floor/reference plane and the rear wheel axis as the datum points for those co-ordinates?

ie that first dimension reads, on the plane normal to the X-axis 140mm behind the rear wheel centre-line, a line starting at 410mm away from the symmetry plane and 325mm above the reference plane and ending a further 20mm right of that and 515mm above the reference plane?

Also, both '22 and '23 regs state there still needs to be three slot gap separators, yet we never saw them on the '22 cars. Or is it because of the fact they are no longer required to follow the shape of the aerofoil profiles, they have now taken the form of the machined metal tabs you see between the trailing edge of the main profile and leading edge of the flap?

Last edited by Hutchie.91 on 05 Dec 2022, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

Hutchie.91 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 17:07
So just to hijack this thread a bit. The format of the 22 and 23 regs are quite different to previous versions and are definitely less digestible on first read in terms of syntax used.

I'm interested in doing another rear wing, this time though being legally compliant with the '23 regs.

Just to clarify I'm understanding this correct, for the rearwing endplate RV (27.1), when the FIA is defining dimensions of the lines with:
On the plane X_R= 140, a surface enclosed by the following peripheral elements:
a. A line between [410, 325], [430, 515]....etc
Are they using the floor/reference plane and the rear wheel axis as the datum points for those co-ordinates?

ie that first dimension reads, on the plane normal to the X-axis 140mm behind the rear wheel centre-line, a line starting at 410mm away from the symmetry plane and 325mm above the reference plane and ending a further 20mm right of that and 515mm above the reference plane?

Also, both '22 and '23 regs state there still needs to be three slot gap separators, yet we never saw them on the '22 cars. Or is it because of the fact they are no longer required to follow the shape of the aerofoil profiles, they have now taken the form of the machined metal taps you see between the trailing edge of the main profile and leading edge of the flap?

https://i.imgur.com/yI1Sygk.jpg
Xr is the rear wheel axle line. Unless stated Y is the car centreline and Z is given from what was previously known as the reference plane.

You have indeed circled the SGS. Their length is limitted now so they could not be an offset of the full profiles like previously.
#aerogandalf