2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NicoS

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

lio007 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:31
NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 16:14
So far I must say the Red Bull & Mclaren, followed by HAAS looks best. AM aerodynamics looks clumsy and low budget like Williams.
of course looks can be deceiving and I am only a armchair expert.
I assume you mean the livery of Red Bull, because the car they have shown is not the real deal.
I not sure if any team has displayed their real deal. Too early! Lot's of details are being hidden by all!
But it will still be exiting to see!

the EDGE

NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:34
lio007 wrote:
NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 16:14
So far I must say the Red Bull & Mclaren, followed by HAAS looks best. AM aerodynamics looks clumsy and low budget like Williams.
of course looks can be deceiving and I am only a armchair expert.
I assume you mean the livery of Red Bull, because the car they have shown is not the real deal.
I not sure if any team has displayed their real deal. Too early! Lot's of details are being hidden by all!
yes but not only is the RB not the real deal, its not even their own work!

It is the show car designed & built by the FIA to advertise the new rules, which Red bull brought from them, painted in a Redbull livery and tried to hoodwink people into believing was their own work

NicoS

the EDGE wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:45
NicoS wrote:
lio007 wrote:

It is the show car designed & built by the FIA to advertise the new rules, which Red bull brought from them, painted in a Redbull livery and tried to hoodwink people into believing was their own work
I do not involve my self with fan dynamics and hates for teams! I see it has some popularity here, but I am her for cars only!

JordanMugen

Re: McLaren MCL36

The more we compare cars, the more it seems Aston Martin have taken a big risk. The swingometer of armchair pundits is arguably leaning more towards the risk not paying off at the moment. What do the other teams know that Aston Martin doesn't or vice versa? It's very curious.

Aston Martin will have less load from their front wing, and from their shakedown photographs are seemingly going to run the car at true zero rake and rely on keeping the car low to the ground for simple ground effect like a Swift Formula Nippon car or similar... Meaning they will, of course, need to have very stiff suspension to keep the car at that attitude.

Meanwhile everyone else has a more loaded front wing in the centre... Everyone else so far is retaining the traditional car concept they understand well with slim sidepods with rearmost outlets, with a much smaller outboard venturi strake acting as a conventional tyre wake control device. Everyone else is possibly still going to be running their cars at a small rake angle to get more volume from the diffuser (and thus be able to use a softer rear spring for more traction, and for retaining the traditional squatting on the straights and raising for the corners) etc.

Logically, the 2021 cars were fast and had lots of downforce... If you can get the new car to work in a similar way despite having a different floor shape and no bargeboards, it rather seems the way to go -- hence we have seen it from 3 out of 4 teams (including the leaked AlphaTauri car with traditional downwash sidepods).

proteus wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 21:45
For reference, the real front wing has a very different layout of elements. Long main plane at the outboard ends, but short where it meets the nose. Little wing or flap angle outboard (albeit hidden with tape).

NathanOlder

NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:47
the EDGE wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:45
NicoS wrote:

I do not involve my self with fan dynamics and hates for teams! I see it has some popularity here, but I am her for cars only!
Yes but Edge was just pointing out RedBull haven't shown their car yet. Where as Haas Mclaren and Aston Martin have shown their own work, no matter how hidden the fine details are. It's nothing against RedBull, but they haven't shown us anything yet so no one can comment on how their car looks unless its livery only chat. And as far as I know, this thread isn't about the liveries.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bauc

Haas: Wine bottle
McLaren: Coke bottle
Aston Martin: Milk bottle

AT?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics

bauc wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:41

AT?
Whiskey bottle?

DChemTech

bauc wrote:

AT?
With wine bottle I guess you mean a decanter?

Zynerji

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:47
bauc wrote:

AT?
Whiskey bottle?
Whiskey Flask, for sure! 👍🏻

bauc

DChemTech wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:58
bauc wrote:

AT?
With wine bottle I guess you mean a decanter?
Yes, more like it!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Just_a_fan

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FittingMechanics

Wow, AT03 looks much smaller on the side views than on this one. It seems to be wider than Aston which I didn't think was the case.

McLaren the smallest but has little undercut. I wonder how far does the undercut go on Aston/AT.

AeroDynamic

just a caveat: those image comparisons are not scaled to match, they are purely for visual comparison.

DChemTech

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:47
Wow, AT03 looks much smaller on the side views than on this one. It seems to be wider than Aston which I didn't think was the case.

McLaren the smallest but has little undercut. I wonder how far does the undercut go on Aston/AT.
The black paint on the sidepod edges also seems to make the ML look smaller - from the top, I actually think AT and McL look a bit more similar, but different angles give different perspectives. In any case, cool to see different teams going for different approaches. So far, four different bottles, and one can of bull.
Last edited by DChemTech on 14 Feb 2022, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

WaikeCU

Is it me or does the Mclaren/Haas not have bargeboards compared to the other cars?

I feel the Haas has most direct flow towards the top of the rear diffuser looking how the sidepods are shaped. How steep the diffuser is, I feel like it can generate a fair amount of downforce.