2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:10
Sevach wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:05
Moving a bit from overtaking, this huge rooster tail won't be great when rain starts, visibility will be terrible.
Well yes and no - if it's higher it's affecting the following car less - and if it's narrower the following car can move out of the wheel tracks a bit to see better. More concerning is that Latifi and Albon reported visibility issues with the 720mm tyres and wheel arch winglet. Not an issue on a race track but on a street track it might see clumsy looking clipping of inside walls like happened to Leclerc at the 2nd swimming pool in quali last year.
Yes, that issue is likely to cause slower lap times at some circuits.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dave kumar

Tommy Cookers wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:31
NicoS wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:21
MrGapes wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:10
This is great! Does seem to be a clean pocket of air with the spray going a lot higher
What carries the "spray" if not air?, what is in the "clean pocket"?
the fraction of the air that hasn't been greatly disturbed by the car moving through the air ?
I posted this a few pages back... it's worth re-reading this by jjn & Vyssion CFD Analysis of 2021 Rules.
Another key criteria for 2021 is the generation of wake upwash in the wake. This upwash helps the bulk of the wake to clear the top of a following car. It is clear that the angle of the wakes rooster tail is substantially greater for the 2021 car than the current spec, with the taller, narrower diffuser throwing the wake upwards.
Formerly known as senna-toleman

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

scheffers wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:08
Giando wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 00:49
Giando wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:54
I'll bring this up...
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... at03-1.jpg

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-al ... a/8163076/

Giorgio Piola writes: "È interessante rilevare, quindi, come il calore prodotto nelle pance sfoghi forse nel diffusore, mentre quello generato delle masse radianti poste sopra al motore Honda fuoriesce dalla coda del cofano motore che si protende fin sopra alle sospensioni posteriori: anche in questo caso l’aria calda dovrebbe influenzare la beam wing e migliorare l’estrazione dal grande diffusore posteriore."

"It's interesting to see, then, how the heath generated inside the sidepods flows maybe into the diffuser, while the hot air coming out from the radiators placed above the Honda PU exits from the upper tail hole on the back above the rear suspension: in this case the hot air should engage the beam wing and enhance air extraction from under the diffuser"...

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE BY THE RULES ???
It seems to me it is not only illegal, but eventually also illogical since it could disrupt/destroy the flow under the car in a critical area...

What do you think?
Can someone kindly share his/her view on this, please? Thank you very much.
Diffusers work on a very similar principle to a pair of human lungs. As the vehicle armed with such a device moves along, the leading edge of it close to the ground, i e: the throat or kick point, is set to draw in air much the same as a pair of depleted human lungs. As you read this open and hold your lips slightly apart and breath in. Suck at it sufficiently enough and you’ll feel air pulling at both lips. That exercise represents the passage of a diffuser over and above a very short length of roadway. The difference between lungs and a diffuser though lies in the fact that the diffuser never stops breathing in. Don’t hyperventilate but try the exercise again but this time pinch your nose before your lungs fill.

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:10
Sevach wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:05
Moving a bit from overtaking, this huge rooster tail won't be great when rain starts, visibility will be terrible.
Well yes and no - if it's higher it's affecting the following car less - and if it's narrower the following car can move out of the wheel tracks a bit to see better. More concerning is that Latifi and Albon reported visibility issues with the 720mm tyres and wheel arch winglet. Not an issue on a race track but on a street track it might see clumsy looking clipping of inside walls like happened to Leclerc at the 2nd swimming pool in quali last year.
I think that we discussed this previously in the tyres thread, and came to the same conclusion!! 👍
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

scheffers
scheffers

DO IT!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

One of the things that were talked a lot before we got to see a few of the cars was rake, the following picture seems to show how big of a difference in that respect we will see with the new regulations:

PlatinumZealot

You will make it downloadable, Gandalf. You will make it downloadable.... (Jedi mind trick in progress).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 14:06
You will make it downloadable, Gandalf. You will make it downloadable.... (Jedi mind trick in progress).
I think you'll have to make an account - I can't think of another way to make it available other than my personal onedrive or something
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Marble
Marble

SmallSoldier wrote:
One of the things that were talked a lot before we got to see a few of the cars was rake, the following picture seems to show how big of a difference in that respect we will see with the new regulations:

https://i.imgur.com/MvgYaoU.jpg
Yep. Source :

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Marble wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 19:07
SmallSoldier wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/MvgYaoU.jpg
Yep. Source :

Thanks! A friend sent me the pic… Time to follow that Twitter account! 😊

godlameroso

The plank area on these cars resemble a symmetrical airfoil. Yaw angle changes the AoA?
Saishū kōnā

djos

Kyles analysis of the very interesting Williams FW44 is now online:

"In downforce we trust"

jumpingfish

Drivers say that visibility has deteriorated due to 18 "wheels and this winglet above the tire. Is it possible that for the sake of safety this part above the tire will be cut off, removed?

djos

Kyle’s Initial look at the AT03 is now up too.

"In downforce we trust"

FW17

LMP cars have far larger wheel arches and no chance of the driver seeing the apex, and they all get around