Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

IMO and all that ...
the photo is the clearest in showing that one bank's runner was (is it still ??) longer than the other's
cancelling at best rpm the 90 deg V's 'phase lag' to keep even the exhaust pulse train - as I predicted c. 2014
no I haven't checked vs engine rotation etc
the later single turbo Renaults c.1978 also showed differences in runner length - then twin turbos eliminated this factor

BassVirolla

Blackout wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 08:18
It's the 2014 engine. And those are apprentices ; )
https://i.imgur.com/5Nq4BSn.jpg
Wow! I'd swear that the photo was photoshopped. It gave me a weird perception of the focal length...

Blackout

Tommy Cookers wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 10:53
IMO and all that ...
the photo is the clearest in showing that one bank's runner was (is it still ??) longer than the other's
cancelling at best rpm the 90 deg V's 'phase lag' to keep even the exhaust pulse train - as I predicted c. 2014
the later single turbo Renaults c.1978 also showed differences in runner length - then twin turbos eliminated this factor
2018 pipes from @artiF1ed - 2017 PU

Blackout

#enhance

lio007

Blackout wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 11:37
Tommy Cookers wrote:
IMO and all that ...
https://i.imgur.com/1pguq6Z.jpg
That intake plenum. :wtf:

Blackout

lio007 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 12:36
Blackout wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 11:37
Tommy Cookers wrote:
IMO and all that ...
https://i.imgur.com/1pguq6Z.jpg
That intake plenum. :wtf:
They probably work similar to Scarbs Merc trumpets below.
IMO in 2017 they pulled the plenum forward to clear the way for the compressor air duct towards the compressor intake (red cover at the back of the V6), and angled the plenum nose up to make space for the oil tank at the front of the engine.
But in 2018 and especially 2019 (bottom) they managed to lower the plenum and make it horizontal, and smaller.

So if they put the compressor at the front in 2022, the plenum body and positioning will obviously look different : )

Jambier

What do you think about the Renault engine rumors ?

Not powerful, not reliable and struggle with E10

If that is true, given that they have done nothing on the engine side since very long, this is a serious issue... if after all those year they are not capable of having the good engine, they should stop their F1 program to be honnest

Jolle

Jambier wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 13:36

If that is true, given that they have done nothing on the engine side since very long, this is a serious issue... if after all those year they are not capable of having the good engine, they should stop their F1 program to be honnest
Internet troll spreading a rumour that might wel could be true, but not based on actual rumours but on history about Renault and their reliability when doing sometin' new.

Walkman

Jambier wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 13:36

Where did you read this ? Last thing I heard was they were happy with power but still had some questionmarks on reliability.

RedNEO

Walkman wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:02

Where did you read this ? Last thing I heard was they were happy with power but still had some questionmarks on reliability.
That was just a Twitter troll twisting Prost’s words that described what you just said.
Luckily Rossi has just confirmed today they were wanting to push the engine as far as it would go to gain maximum performance regardless of reliability under his instructions. It’s been running reliably and is all under control now. Here’s the quote from BBC article today..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60414614
Former Alpine non-executive chairman Alain Prost said when he split with the team last month that the engine was having reliability problems on the test bed.

Rossi said the failures were caused by his asking the engine department to push as hard as possible for maximum performance. He said the design was now running reliably in time for the start of pre-season testing next week.

Rossi said: "I told the team: 'You push the envelope far. I don't care. I'd rather have to dial down the performance, but know that I've reached a peak of the performance I can get and then be reliable, than just feel comfortable with a reliable engine that was not delivering the performance.' Which, by the way, was the approach of the past.

"The good news is we've been doing thousands of kilometres with this new power-unit in the last few weeks, and it went just fine.

"So knock on wood it seems we have fixed that."

RedNEO

An all-new engine for 2022

Rossi said the changes at Alpine were aimed at bringing the team up to a level where it could compete at the front.

Part of that plan is the decision to design an entirely new engine to power drivers Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon this season.

The new power-unit follows the philosophy set by Mercedes at the start of the turbo-hybrid era in 2014, and since followed by Honda. It splits the turbo and compressor, two parts that in a conventional design sit next to each other, by putting the compressor at the front of the engine and the turbo at the back.

"The engine has been redesigned entirely," Rossi said. "The split turbo is one element. We will [also] make it more compact, which enables us to move it closer to the driver and therefore the centre of gravity of the car.

"It's lighter. It's capable of operating in a much wider range of conditions, temperature and pressure.

"So it's really like a game-changer for us and it's going to, I hope, enable us to catch up and close the gap to the front of the queue [on engine performance]."

The split-turbo design is difficult to achieve because it requires a long connecting rod between the turbo and compressor that runs across the top of the engine and spins at up to your 125,000rpm.

Spoutnik

Rossi back at it again
Translation : "There's a tradeoff between reliability and performance. It's difficult to be reliable and perform at the same time. At some stage of our development reliability was not good enough. It was our choice.

[...]

I don't care/I'm not interested in/about reliability. I'd rather have an engine delivering maximum performance than a reliable low-performing one"

I'm really excited to see how Ferrari and Renault are gonna catch up

Blackout

Made this drawing for fun first, but this is what the intercooling system of the RE22 might look like (roughly), based on some pictures. So it may look like a mix between the Ferrari and the Merc factory team system. So it's much less complicated than Ferrari's usual charge air circuit (didnt see their 2022 layout yet) and it's placed higher (but closer to the plenum) than the Mercedes.one.
So I predict 19 wins in 2022 approximately. 

Inspired by Scarbs : )

This layout could also explain why that compressor-looking thing we saw in the previous pages has an outlet going upwards.

_cerber1

By @AlbertFabrega
ImageImage