Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DChemTech

Re: Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

scheffers wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:11
gandharva wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:02
Second inlet below the radiator inlet.
https://i.imgur.com/Sdn2V0t.jpeg
that's someones foot :mrgreen: =D>
That's why it's called exclusive foot-age

Mat-tes

As we're all speculating, there are some stuff happening (maybe, probably not), probably because it's a funky picture but, from bottom arrow to top:

- Interesting line going on the nose, as if split in half, could be similar to how Ferrari as allegedly found a way to change nose design without additional crash test.
- The rear part of the top wishbone can maybe be seen, it looks like it might be placed much lower than it's front part.
- Looks fishy because of pictures quality, but it looks like there's a massive T wing at the back of the car, I thought it might be the background but the wing pylon looks to be merging with it and the yellow and red on it is similar to the one on the engine cover.

The way the rules are laid out in term of volumes there, looks like it might be a possibility, but I'm not sure in term of minimal radius there that would prevent any sort of devices.

@AeroGandalf posted this on twitter about the different legality volumes. The gray one at the rear could fit a kind of T wing, but again I'm uncertain about the radius situation there.

AR3-GP

jagunx51 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:06
the EDGE wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:16
mkay wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:05
New image of the RB18

https://i.redd.it/2kkggb1dsmi81.png
they've deliberately blurred out the front of the side pods
Yes, they blurred it out ..... a comparison of TEZOS decal on showcar & spyshot.... could it be a 2nd hole under the sidepod inlet?

https://i.imgur.com/bG3w9mI.jpeg
The bit on the left hand side of the car that you are pointing to is the gentleman's pant leg, not a duct/hole. The right hand side appears to be blurred out as you say.

Nano4k

has this been posted yet? :)

organic

I extracted this frame:

From the track test by RB on 18th:

I may be reaching or my brain "wanting" to see it but can't help noticing a potential stepped design to the front floor section of the RB, not dissimilar to that of the W13:

Using taller inboard strakes and shorter outboard strakes to create a bargeboard shape to generate outwash

organic

Ok I just saw this:

This a new high quality video of the car running on track?

I had the video in low definition but first time finding it like this and can for sure analyse more details using it

SmallSoldier

Tried to get a few good pictures from the clip:

Hoffman900

It appears they have a similar “not a bargeboard” bargeboard arrangement as the Mercedes.

FittingMechanics

Hopefully these potato quality images clear up any notion of a "T wing loophole".

Tombola37

Difficult to say at this early stage but rumours of a secret ‘second’ wing appearing…

LM10

Tombola37 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:15
Difficult to say at this early stage but rumours of a secret ‘second’ wing appearing…
How can a second wing be secret?

Zynerji

LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:54
Tombola37 wrote:
The American media labels it "disinformation" 😒

Stu

LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:54
Tombola37 wrote:
I would hope for three wings on all of this years cars. Front wing, rear wing and underwing…..

I’ll get me coat! 🤦‍♂️
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

tmoneyr007

Mat-tes wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:15
https://ibb.co/K2LVnZG
- Looks fishy because of pictures quality, but it looks like there's a massive T wing at the back of the car, I thought it might be the background but the wing pylon looks to be merging with it and the yellow and red on it is similar to the one on the engine cover.

The way the rules are laid out in term of volumes there, looks like it might be a possibility, but I'm not sure in term of minimal radius there that would prevent any sort of devices.

@AeroGandalf posted this on twitter about the different legality volumes. The gray one at the rear could fit a kind of T wing, but again I'm uncertain about the radius situation there.
https://ibb.co/rvb891n

Yes, there is a small (narrow) Upwashing T Wing, you can see it in the high res video posted. It must be in the alllowable shark fin volume.

f1316

If what’s shown is indeed a t-wing - and tbh, I think it might be - it’ll only be as important as the old t-wings were (ie a little bit but far from essential and often not even run depending on the circuit). Maybe with these rear wings it has a bit more value but not a game changer.

It’s also highly copyable, so I suppose - if RB are the only ones who spotted the loophole - it makes sense that they don’t want others to see it until absolutely necessary (even if it is only a small advantage, they’ll take that wherever they can).