Haas VF-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bosyber
bosyber

Re: Haas VF-22

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:31
• looks like the floor has a barge board style configuration going on
• the concave dip / fence on the top of the side pod doesn't appear to be as pronounced and deep as the F1-75, although the exterior portion of the sidepod looks very similar.
end plate has a very long aerodynamic device thing that covers across the entire width of the surface. It's not a simple curvature.
• another extremely slender nose tip

https://i.imgur.com/E1HnTKO.jpg

Yeah, lot of work put into that; anyone know what the front of the endplate is meant to do? The device on it seems clear, clever way to get more up and outwash from the endplates.

jjn9128

Looks like Haas are really focussed on reducing the FWEP vorticity by breaking up the flow as much as possible. Then the downwashy diveplane is trying to make some outwash behind the outboard tyre squirt.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Feb 2022, 15:42, edited 5 times in total.

AeroDynamic

• Louvres on the lower spine of the car towards the exhaust (beneath the 'Finn') – don't think we've seen that on a car yet.

I guess this is what the Finn arrangement is about:

• louvres everywhere: its all louvres beneath the detached part of the Finn.

slightly better view of the sidepod top surface and louvres: Again, similar idea and concept to F1-75 but not as pronounced.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Feb 2022, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.

JordanMugen

The VF-22 has lots of nice little features, doesn't it? :)

For example, that funky diveplane, or the nice little flat along the rear edge of the diffuser that transitions into the trumpet shape/Gurney flap.

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:51
• Louvres on the lower spine of the car towards the exhaust (beneath the 'Finn') – don't think we've seen that on a car yet.
https://i.imgur.com/GjxKi7n.png

I guess this is what the Finn arrangement is about:

• louvres everywhere: its all louvres beneath the detached part of the Finn.
https://i.imgur.com/SqgPWZw.png
Very nice feature! =D>

Partymood
Partymood

Herr_Koos wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:19
Partymood wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 12:09
the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:26
If we see similar concepts between Ferrari & Haas and Rebull & AT serious questions have to be asked about collaberation
I don't think that this applies to Haas and Ferrari. Simone Resta, TD of Haas, was in charge of studying the new regulations while at Ferrari between 2019 and 2020.
Well, as was the case with the pink Mercedes and the brake duct saga, Haas might be required to supply their homework to the FIA for scrutiny to ensure they didn't blatantly copy from the other kids. However, there is a big difference between outright copying and using similar concepts.
To me, this looks more like a transfer of know-how with the transfer of engineers from Ferrari to Haas (Resta wasn't the only one). I'm sure they would be able to show their homework. :D

AeroDynamic

AeroNewbie but, is that end plate device basically trying to draw a 'kick up' energy to accelerate the air as opposed to a 'calm' curvature?

the underside of it is a more tame curve that I guess is doesn't to push the air toward the ground / bottom tyre contact patch?

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Feb 2022, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

ojir19

wide louvre

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

jjn9128

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:13
AeroNewbie but, is that end plate device basically trying to draw a 'kick up' energy to accelerate the air as opposed to a 'calm' curvature?

https://i.imgur.com/q2Z9sLl.png
No it;s a legality requirement - the tail has to be 75mm higher than the nose
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ojir19

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

stan_french
stan_french

honestly, im surprised by haas... This car has a lot of new innovations. Maybe they could be one of the dark horses of this season who could end up solidly in the midfield.

AeroDynamic

stan_french wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
honestly, im surprised by haas... This car has a lot of new innovations. Maybe they could be one of the dark horses of this season who could end up solidly in the midfield.
I don't know.

They have an intriguing spine exhaust.. but relative to the ferrari side pods, they have less louvres. Maybe if Ferrari's power and concept really is the way to go, the Haas might be fighting for a podium sometimes?
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Feb 2022, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

Good looking car.

I guess we’ll find out whats so unique about the Ferrari PU to make the Ferrari teams rule out centerline cooling and go w/larger sidepods.

I want to classify it and the Ferrari as the outwash group now.

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Feb 2022, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.

basti313
basti313

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:33
stan_french wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
I don't know.

They have an intriguing spine exhaust.. but relative to the ferrari side pods, they have less louvres. Maybe if Ferrari's power and concept really is the way to go, the Haas might be fighting for a podium sometimes?
I do not see the innovations you claim. Distributing openings over the bodywork in every place is no innovation. This is just managing the problem and every vent is just a new problem in aero.

When speaking about innovations, "no vents" is THE innovation. If Merc, McLaren, maybe RedBull get the concept of heat management right, then we again have F1 and F1.5....this time well visible by the number of crazy venting slits in the bodywork.
Don`t russel the hamster!