Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Mercedes W13

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

These above pics are what I was asking about, where the merc seems to have the most undisturbed top floor surface in terms of harsh curvature below/around the sidepods after the undercut.

Where Ferrari and Red Bull in comparison have relatively pronounced changes of direction in the air that would be attached to their undercuts via sidepods that protrude out further into the surface of the floor.

Merc seems to have more "floor wing" surface area here that could maybe produce downforce under yaw?
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 23 Feb 2022, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

bucker
bucker

At the moment it looks like we have three aero concepts. Mercedes/Williams vs Ferrari/Hass vs everbody else. I wonder if Mercedes is on the wrong foot this time.

mafeotul
mafeotul

bucker wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:44
At the moment it looks like we have three aero concepts. Mercedes/Williams vs Ferrari/Hass vs everbody else. I wonder if Mercedes is on the wrong foot this time.
Judging the last years, and based of the quality that has come out of Brackley, i tend to believe not.

Shakeman

bucker wrote:
What evidence do you have other than the livery on the car?

I could just as easily say I wonder if Red Bull is on the wrong foot this time and I hope if I did someone would call me out on it.

Zynerji

With such dissimilar concepts, we are ALL wondering who got it wrong at this point...

F1Krof

Shakeman wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:50
bucker wrote:

I could just as easily say I wonder if Red Bull is on the wrong foot this time and I hope if I did someone would call me out on it.
The beam wing out of RBR is definitely something. They're on the territory of double or triple mini diffusors. Whereas everybody has gone to more extreme solutions, Alpine with especially Merc has gone to a more conventional route. This doesn't mean they are wrong though, remains to be seen.
Wroom wroom

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:58
With such dissimilar concepts, we are ALL wondering who got it wrong at this point...
But is anyone getting it wrong or just different?

With such a wide variety of approaches says to me there's not one single obvious solution and just many ways to skin this particular cat.

How much worse would a faceted house brick be compared to each design? How much time difference is there in these upper body designs?

AeroDynamic

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

F1Krof wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:01
Shakeman wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:50
bucker wrote:

The beam wing out of RBR is definitely something. They're on the territory of double or triple mini diffusors. Whereas everybody has gone to more extreme solutions, Alpine with especially Merc has gone to a more conventional route. This doesn't mean they are wrong though, remains to be seen.
... Though I doubt there's anything special in the RB18's flow field that'd make it's unique beam wing uncopiable or unviable for others... I don't think they'd have showed it before the Bahrain test If it was something uber special...

Zynerji

Shakeman wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:04
Zynerji wrote:

With such a wide variety of approaches says to me there's not one single obvious solution and just many ways to skin this particular cat.

How much worse would a faceted house brick be compared to each design? How much time difference is there in these upper body designs?
There can only be 1 "perfect" solution to a set of circumstance.

Every solution other than that will simply cap earlier in development.

We won't know probably until race 14-15 of whose path is longest.

Enjoy the show!

Shakeman

F1Krof wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:01

The beam wing out of RBR is definitely something. They're on the territory of double or triple mini diffusors.
How are they acting as diffusers and not wings?

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:09
Enjoy the show!
No amount of aero development can beat having someone managing the show... :wink:

DChemTech
DChemTech

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:09
Shakeman wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:04
Zynerji wrote:

There can only be 1 "perfect" solution to a set of circumstance.

Every solution other than that will simply cap earlier in development.

We won't know probably until race 14-15 of whose path is longest.

Enjoy the show!
We're not dealing with properly conditioned linear systems here :lol:
There can certainly be many solutions that yield equivalent results.