2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

I hope so, they were too weak to be true

Also I think we may have a 2012 like season with many different drivers and teams winning in the first races

diffuser

Andretti confirm Renault PU deal
Starts in the 2024 season.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andretti- ... t-pu-deal/

Blackout

Mansell89 wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 10:58
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine-fe ... ar-issues/

I really hope they aren’t in trouble- I don’t think necessarily that the car is bad- it looks more like rumours of being on the back foot with parts etc if I read between the lines correctly?

We know that they ran low power and we know a full raft of upgrades are planned in Bahrain- that will be the time to judge performance and delivery of parts i guess?

Alonsos comments were okay- he said power is improved but the bit about losing fuel performance I understand he was talking about the fuel regulation in general which has meant all teams lost performance and have been working with their fuel suppliers.
Rossi, Fry and Permane implied that the engine was not detuned and that it was running in a representative mode.
The car just ran without DRS, with a decent amount of fuel and the drivers had to avoid the kerbs according to Rossi and Permane.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Blackout wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 12:56
Mansell89 wrote:

I really hope they aren’t in trouble- I don’t think necessarily that the car is bad- it looks more like rumours of being on the back foot with parts etc if I read between the lines correctly?

We know that they ran low power and we know a full raft of upgrades are planned in Bahrain- that will be the time to judge performance and delivery of parts i guess?

Alonsos comments were okay- he said power is improved but the bit about losing fuel performance I understand he was talking about the fuel regulation in general which has meant all teams lost performance and have been working with their fuel suppliers.
Rossi, Fry and Permane implied that the engine was not detuned and that it was running in a representative mode.
The car just ran without DRS, with a decent amount of fuel and the drivers had to avoid the kerbs according to Rossi and Permane.
Ah really? I thought Permanes words were talking about low engine mode- il see if I can dig out the article 😃

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

What's the point in talking about that. It isn't like it's going to change anything. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. We'll find out soon enough.

Did I expect them NOT to push the PU to it's limits in the first 2 days when so many other things needed to be done. yes. I would have expected them to start pushing the PU harder on the last day.

What has me surprised is the A522 has taken a concervative sidepod approach. The sidepods aero philosophy isn't a Huge leap from last years. Other Cars like the RB18, SAT, AM, ferrari,AR, and HAAS have made Major Changes. While Others like Merc, Mclaren and Williams, like Alpine, have largely expanded on 2021. Now they had a strong Idea going into 2021 what the 2022 regs would be. Did the 2022 reg influence the 2021 car in those cases? Major changes can increase the chances of Major perfromance gains but the other side of that is it increases the chances of making a major faux pas.

I have to add, we have no idea what Alpine has as scheduled upgrades for the Bahrain test and then the Bahrain race. So Maybe I'll nolonger be singing that tune and then just cause it looks conservative, It doesn't mean it doesn't work really well.

Kamel
Kamel

We've seen many different technical decisions in Barcelona but the results on the lap were very tight. Maybe this means all concepts make a secondary contribution to the overall lever of the car.
Everything will be decided by the engine then overall racing level of the team and the absence of errors from the drivers.

diffuser

Kamel wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 20:01
We've seen many different technical decisions in Barcelona but the results on the lap were very tight. Maybe this means all concepts make a secondary contribution to the overall lever of the car.
Everything will be decided by the engine then overall racing level of the team and the absence of errors from the drivers.
Yeah, people keep asking stuff like will Alpine be in the midfield. I'm not convinced there is gonna be a midfield. The different fields found in previous f1 seasons were largely a reflection of team's budget classes.

Mansell89
Mansell89

diffuser wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 19:13
Blackout wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

What's the point in talking about that. It isn't like it's going to change anything. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. We'll find out soon enough.

Did I expect them NOT to push the PU to it's limits in the first 2 days when so many other things needed to be done. yes. I would have expected them to start pushing the PU harder on the last day.

What has me surprised is the A522 has taken a concervative sidepod approach. The sidepods aero philosophy isn't a Huge leap from last years. Other Cars like the RB18, SAT, AM, ferrari,AR, and HAAS have made Major Changes. While Others like Merc, Mclaren and Williams, like Alpine, have largely expanded on 2021. Now they had a strong Idea going into 2021 what the 2022 regs would be. Did the 2022 reg influence the 2021 car in those cases? Major changes can increase the chances of Major perfromance gains but the other side of that is it increases the chances of making a major faux pas.

I have to add, we have no idea what Alpine has as scheduled upgrades for the Bahrain test and then the Bahrain race. So Maybe I'll nolonger be singing that tune and then just cause it looks conservative, It doesn't mean it doesn't work really well.
Just sharing Permaines comments for clarity- quite right- they didn’t run on low power, but equally didn’t turn it up either by the sound of it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpin ... 89948/amp/

As well as delivering progress on the power front, Alpine is hoping that the improved packaging will hand it benefits in terms of aerodynamics and centre of gravity.

While the final verdict on the potential of the new engine against the benchmark Mercedes and Honda units will not be known until qualifying in Bahrain, the initial impressions from last week’s Barcelona test were good.

Alpine sporting director Alan Permane said that the team had begun experimenting with some different engine modes – and the fact that the power unit had done everything expected without drama was a positive sign.

“We haven't been running that on full power,” he said when asked by Autosport/Motorsport.com about the initial impressions of the engine.

“I don't think we've done a lap on what they call ‘single ICE mode', which is the qualifying and the race mode. We've come close to it, but not full whack.

Honestly, we haven't spoken about the power unit – and that's a great thing.

“It's so different. It's completely different to anything that Viry have produced before. It's more complex, it certainly looks a lot nicer and neater. But it just goes in the car and we've just gone with it, which is great.

“The drivers have had the normal comments about a little bit of driveability here, a bit of surge here and a bit of turbo lag there, but the guys have just got on top of that and played with the settings and mappings and stuff, and it's gone away.”

F1’s move to a more sustainable fuel this year, with engines needing to use petrol that contains 10% ethanol, means that comparing power from last year is very difficult.

However, Permane says the fact that drivers have not singled out the engine as any area of concern is encouraging for the team.

“[The engine] hasn't even been a talking point really, which is great,” he said. “I think it's very difficult for them to talk about power compared to last year because of the fuel differences and the big power differences.

“But they're certainly not complaining about it at all. We are very happy about it.”

Nanosapien
Nanosapien

diffuser wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

I think its smart not to go too radical. since the FIA and FOM would reverse any development a team had if it gave them significant advantage. so if the car is vanilla but is quick and has a slight advantage over rivals. it would be hard for FIA and FOM to tell the team what to change on the car.

Nanosapien
Nanosapien

Nanosapien wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 17:00
diffuser wrote:
Blackout wrote:

I think its smart not to go too radical. since the FIA and FOM would reverse any development a team had if it gave them significant advantage. so if the car is vanilla but is quick and has a slight advantage over rivals. it would be hard for FIA and FOM to tell the team what to change on the car.

Sorry intial message was entered in the worng location

stan_french
stan_french

Nanosapien wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 17:01
Nanosapien wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 17:00
diffuser wrote:

Sorry intial message was entered in the worng location

Agreed. I was also reading on another thread that radical designs dont necessarily equal performance. In general they represent compromise which usually means thats a lot of laptime is also lost somewhere else. I believe this was in relation to the "no sidepods" theory, and if that would have good performance.

So maybe Alpine, by having a not so radical design could draw from much more than going in one radical approach. I don't know though, so time will tell.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Im going to go ahead and throw my hat early. This car will be behind Mercedes, RB, Mclaren, and Ferrari atleast. Possibly behind AT as well. Should be ahead of AR, AM, Haas, and Williams. So basically P6 WCC.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 19:49
Im going to go ahead and throw my hat early. This car will be behind Mercedes, RB, Mclaren, and Ferrari atleast. Possibly behind AT as well. Should be ahead of AR, AM, Haas, and Williams. So basically P6 WCC.

So you're saying the CAP will have little to no effect on how they finish ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 23:54
AR3-GP wrote:

Yes because it's not just about budget cap, it's also about engineering talent and the Enstone team worries me...Musical chairs leadership, boring looking car, rumors of a struggle with the new fuel and PU. Can't make a DRS work. Burn the whole car down to the ground in Barcelona.... Good grief.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 01:05
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 23:54
AR3-GP wrote:

Yes because it's not just about budget cap, it's also about engineering talent and the Enstone team worries me...Musical chairs leadership, boring looking car, rumors of a struggle with the new fuel and PU. Can't make a DRS work. Burn the whole car down to the ground in Barcelona.... Good grief.
Well that just Alpine. What about all the other teams? Plus engineers Salaries fall under the cap. Think the new regs provide for 1 or 2 exceptions.

The CEO said the have significant more power and ran the PU really hard to try and break it so they could fix it and be ready for the season. That was was why Prost thought they had reliability issues. That being said, I'd be surprised if they don't have PU issues equivalent to what Merc had last year. Merc still won the constructors.

Plus the changes didn't happen over the winter. They actually took place last year. They were just announced this year. Rossi said they were effective Nov 1st. If you go back, there was noise that Budkowski was out and Otmar was in all the way back in May 2021. Below Fry and Harman, all stable.

I'm not saying they're gonna win the constructors this year, just to early to say either way. Some times conservative is good.