Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Mercedes W13

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:21
LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:12
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:05

The assumption you have made is incorrect. Changing a sidepod does not mean turning it into a Ferrari. It just means optimizing the current shape a little bit more.
I've not said anything even close to turning it into a Ferrari. Just used Ferrari as an example because their sidepod design reduces drag on rear tyres.
I'm referring to a Ferrari sidepod just as you were. I'm not sure I understand what the confusion is. Mercedes can trivially massage their sidepod shape to provide a drag reduction. It's not a binary on/off thing where it needs a wholesale change to "look like a Ferrari sidepod". Within this shape that we are calling a "micropod" there are near infinite number of permutations, some very close to the initial design, which may offer a further drag reduction. A tighter radius here, a more blunt edge there, a taller ramp here, an "bump" there, etc etc.
I know there are multiple tweaks to reduce drag, but your initial assumption was to widen the sidepods. Let's do it the other way around and you explain me why wider sidepods would reduce drag as it sounds paradoxical.
As far as I know wide sidepods seem to have a key role this season and that's creating outwash. As for Ferrari, the unique tub-sidepod design also reduces drag. So would Mercedes widen the sidepods to create more outwash or rather to reduce drag?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I've not said anything even close to turning it into a Ferrari. Just used Ferrari as an example because their sidepod design reduces drag on rear tyres.
I'm referring to a Ferrari sidepod just as you were. I'm not sure I understand what the confusion is. Mercedes can trivially massage their sidepod shape to provide a drag reduction. It's not a binary on/off thing where it needs a wholesale change to "look like a Ferrari sidepod". Within this shape that we are calling a "micropod" there are near infinite number of permutations, some very close to the initial design, which may offer a further drag reduction. A tighter radius here, a more blunt edge there, a taller ramp here, an "bump" there, etc etc.
I know there are multiple tweaks to reduce drag, but your initial assumption was to widen the sidepods. Let's do it the other way around and you explain me why wider sidepods would reduce drag as it sounds paradoxical.
As far as I know wide sidepods seem to have a key role this season and that's creating outwash. As for Ferrari, the unique tub-sidepod design also reduces drag. So would Mercedes widen the sidepods to create more outwash or rather to reduce drag?
When I discussed widening the sidepod, I was only proposing shape changes in the scale of centimeters, not half a meter. Naturally, if you choose the most dramatic interpretation of any suggestion, you will find fault in any argument.

Also, I never suggested that widening the sidepod reduces drag conclusively. It may well, or it may not. Aerodynamics is complex. Sometimes a small local change can have a downstream effect that more than compensates for the local drag increase, sometimes not! Anyway, the point isn't to discuss what exactly will reduce drag, just to discuss that small changes to sidepod shape can change the drag level and does not require a B-spec car. It's well within Mercedes capabilities to tweak the sidepod before Bahrain.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:18
LM10 wrote:

In one simulation that used a model of a car that wasn't the Ferrari. As discussed elsewhere, the simulations are great and very interesting but we can't draw black and white conclusions from them because they are far from complete.
You're right, it wasn't the Ferrari, but the sidepod-concept (or philosophy if you wish) was. If Vanja and others managed to build a model which showed less drag penalty, then Ferrari will have managed it too, at the very least.
Yes, perhaps. The sidepod alone might be less draggy but the car as a whole might be no worse or no better. But that's an argument that's been had elsewhere so perhaps we shouldn't rehash it. :oops: :D
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 19:58
I'm betting the mark button has gotten a lot of use over the first 3 days of testing.
Surprised we could still read the lettering hah!

SiLo

LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:
LM10 wrote:

By increasing the outwash, they can also decrease drag on the rear tyre, which is pretty high. It's just whether they can get the right trade off.
Felipe Baby!

zibby43
zibby43

SiLo

I wonder what the "things that will open discussion" are going to be...
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 11:44
My view is that if the FIA have seen stuff they don't like, they should tell the teams "no, you can't do that" now, before the season. If they wait until the season proper before deciding that something doesn't comply, then that is jolly bad form and makes them look even more amateur than normal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

De Jokke

Could the new merccar be the render as they have it on their twitter?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

De Jokke

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 13:22
SiLo wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 11:44
My view is that if the FIA have seen stuff they don't like, they should tell the teams "no, you can't do that" now, before the season. If they wait until the season proper before deciding that something doesn't comply, then that is jolly bad form and makes them look even more amateur than normal.
Has it ever been any other way? :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

OO7
OO7

De Jokke wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 13:24
Could the new merccar be the render as they have it on their twitter?
No, that car wouldn't be legal.

dans79

197 104 103 7

w1Y
w1Y

I just don't understand in the cost cap era how you can just change regs on the fly. Are they going to allow cap reimbursement

the EDGE
the EDGE

w1Y wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 20:43
I just don't understand in the cost cap era how you can just change regs on the fly. Are they going to allow cap reimbursement
what regulation changes are you referring to?

Snelbaard

Their willingness to let the camera get this close is a clear signal the car is going to change substantially between now and the first race.