Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Mercedes W13

I doubt Mercedes are showing anywhere near the real pace of the car yet, especially if their gains are as massive as reported. The teams don't want to draw attention in terms of performance yet.

Sevach
Sevach

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:51
I doubt Mercedes are showing anywhere near the real pace of the car yet, especially if their gains are as massive as reported. The teams don't want to draw attention in terms of performance yet.
They can't hide the severe porpoising

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Does bringing the side pods in tighter mean that there’s more volume under the floor for the Venturi tunnels or is that mandated?

Shakeman

Porpoising doesn’t look any different to bumpy braking zones so drivers probably aren’t as sensitive to it as the press pack are.

Merc might’ve said, we can fix the porpoising but we’re leaving 5 tenths on the table, can you live with it? Drivers say, hell yeah.

NathanOlder

gandharva wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:44
organic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:41
Has anyone posted this video of the W13's unstable behaviour at speed yet?

https://streamable.com/mil5tm

Apparently this behaviour is even somewhat visible in the pitlane but haven't verified myself
Seems even worse than Barcelona. Also W13 is the only car that still suffers from porpoising so far.
All the new cars suffered from it, this W13 is almost a new car, so I guess they will fix it like they did in SPain.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Shakeman wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:56
Porpoising doesn’t look any different to bumpy braking zones so drivers probably aren’t as sensitive to it as the press pack are.

Merc might’ve said, we can fix the porpoising but we’re leaving 5 tenths on the table, can you live with it? Drivers say, hell yeah.
I think it has a lot more to do with the fact That it was the 1st few laps on the track, on hards with an aero rake.

They showed the car in the garage a few minutes ago and It looked like they were making tweaks to the front suspension.
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

so, a double inlet concept

and a floor comparison form Albert Fabrega

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Tiny sidepods lead to less drag, less drag leads to higher acceleration and higher terminal speed, high speed leads to porpoising. Merc has some work to do with this concept in order to maximize it's effectiveness
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 10 Mar 2022, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

organic

They now have a fixing on the rear of the floor, similar to the one seen in Barcelona, which is presumably there to add stiffness to this area; Lewis is doing a run on C2s now and the porpoising situation seems to have improved (though it is not absent)

Lewis probably just getting to grips but car looked like it had terrible traction on the brief glimpse we saw
Last edited by organic on 10 Mar 2022, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

She is an ugly girl that's for sure.
She's either extremely dominant or an absolute dog! :lol:

I think what they achieved here is to reduce the impact of the upper wake as Kyle engineers would say ans also that side pod lift should be elimianted.

The side pod at it's widest is not all that narrow. You can still see the lower crash structure is not protruding. But you can bet that the draggiest parts of the side pod are no more.

She should rely fly down the straights that's for sure. I'm worried about reliability and balance.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Car looks soooo unstable.

Just watched Lewis do a lap. Out of low speed corners the rear is going from side to side.

On the straights the car is jumping from side to side.

To be fair though at the beginning of the last aero regs I remember the merc being an absolute rocket but also seeing Ham actually having to "steer" the car while going down the main straight in Australia.

NathanOlder

Looked like the porpoising has been fixed, just saw the car on straight and didnt seem to be doing it with the small rod attatched to the edge of the floor
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

I don't believe the car is any fatter down the middle than it was before, at least towards the rear ... (left new, right old)
Last edited by RZS10 on 10 Mar 2022, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic