Williams FW44

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wogx

Re: Williams FW44

It's really hot in Bahrain today

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Stu

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 11:14
@Albert Fabrega twitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNjtO-vWQAA ... name=large
Interesting view; large keel, minimal tea-tray (much like the red bull). Small air inlet (forward facing hole) & ride height laser(?) in the downward facing hole.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

wogx wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 11:23

https://streamable.com/lvlvk4
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... o3aAkx.jpg
LHR suspension failure?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AeroDynamic

#AMuS

AeroDynamic

DinkLv

Another shot of the floor from the official broadcast signal (Day 2, Session 1, 01:17:02)

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 11:49
wogx wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 11:23

https://streamable.com/lvlvk4
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... o3aAkx.jpg
LHR suspension failure?
I think a bearing issue - they had something wrong on the rear yesterday. That could get hot enough to cause such a failure.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

MattWellsyWells

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 12:37
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but why do the fences curve towards the edge of the floor? I know all the cars have this but doesn't this send the air out from under the floor rather than keeping it in the tunnels? Or is that the point?

Mattchu

Alex Albon: "We were struggling with rear tyre temps, so we thought flames are gonna help!" :lol:

Then this...shows how much energy has to be dissipated, not seen a brake explode this way for a while, why don`t the marshalls wear safety glasses...

dren

Mattchu wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 14:53
why don`t the marshalls wear safety glasses...
Weight reduction so they can get to the scene quicker.
Honda!

theWPTformula

MattWellsyWells wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 14:27
AeroDynamic wrote:
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but why do the fences curve towards the edge of the floor? I know all the cars have this but doesn't this send the air out from under the floor rather than keeping it in the tunnels? Or is that the point?
Outwashing adds ‘functionality’ to the airflow; more downforce can be generated in doing this. A good proportion of the flow entering the tunnels is first kicked outwards to displace some of the lower front tyre wake further from the car centreline. This flow will then roll up into a vortex along the side of the floor which is ingested back under the car further downstream. Vortex structures along the floor edge seal the underbody from the ambient air, and also shield the diffuser from the dirty lateral flow created at the rear tyre contact patch (aka tyre squirt). Hope this helps.

AeroDynamic

Motorsport.com

@Andreas Haupt #AMuS

MattWellsyWells

theWPTformula wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 18:12
MattWellsyWells wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Outwashing adds ‘functionality’ to the airflow; more downforce can be generated in doing this. A good proportion of the flow entering the tunnels is first kicked outwards to displace some of the lower front tyre wake further from the car centreline. This flow will then roll up into a vortex along the side of the floor which is ingested back under the car further downstream. Vortex structures along the floor edge seal the underbody from the ambient air, and also shield the diffuser from the dirty lateral flow created at the rear tyre contact patch (aka tyre squirt). Hope this helps.
That's really helpful thanks.

michl420

I am surprised that the floor has such a rounded "skirt". Wouldn't a 90 degree edge hold the air better? Especially since it touches the ground in every fast corner.

Zynerji

theWPTformula wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 18:12
MattWellsyWells wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Compared to McLaren's floor pic, these vanes ride much closer to the track than the Papayas. I wonder if McLs twist gets stronger outwash but delivers more mass flow to the air that's extracted by the edge vortex?