2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 06:05
dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:53
dialtone wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:09
Just used fastf1 to create the RPM graph of the corresponding speed graph above and Ferrari RPM is lower overall.

https://i.imgur.com/OtuJznv.png

Doesn't look to me like Ferrari is running higher engine mode.
RPMs mean nothing because the temas can run whatever ratios they choose to. And they will, because they will choose ratios that best compliment their PU and aero philosophies.
Yeah I don't think it says much more than speed, I just posted it to show that the Ferrari engine wasn't going in quali mode. Lots of stuff, like gear ratios, influence the overall final result and Merc was running slightly shorter gears.

https://twitter.com/RacingTelemetry/sta ... uzIVEbRaXw

So overall it seems they both had the engine tuned about the same.
Just to clarify, I don't think the info. I shared was trying to imply Ferrari was running their maximum PU setting while Merc were running Alpine Barcelona Test 1 levels of detuned.

I was just pointing out that the speed traces strongly imply that the Ferrari was using a higher mode relative to Merc. Nothing more, nothing less. These speed traces are very similar to what we see during the FP sessions during the year when teams run different programs throughout the weekend. Furthermore, Ferrari historically run their engines a bit harder in practice/testing sessions.

I'm not saying anything about Ferrari's performance overall, either. Although the FOM data suggested that, despite trying to work through some balance issues on the brand new spec, Merc had quite a sizeable race pace advantage over both RBR and Ferrari.

dialtone

zibby43 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 07:11
dialtone wrote:
dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:53

RPMs mean nothing because the temas can run whatever ratios they choose to. And they will, because they will choose ratios that best compliment their PU and aero philosophies.
Yeah I don't think it says much more than speed, I just posted it to show that the Ferrari engine wasn't going in quali mode. Lots of stuff, like gear ratios, influence the overall final result and Merc was running slightly shorter gears.

Just to clarify, I don't think the info. I shared was trying to imply Ferrari was running their maximum PU setting while Merc were running Alpine Barcelona Test 1 levels of detuned.

I was just pointing out that the speed traces strongly imply that the Ferrari was using a higher mode relative to Merc. Nothing more, nothing less. These speed traces are very similar to what we see during the FP sessions during the year when teams run different programs throughout the weekend. Furthermore, Ferrari historically run their engines a bit harder in practice/testing sessions.

I'm not saying anything about Ferrari's performance overall, either. Although the FOM data suggested that, despite trying to work through some balance issues on the brand new spec, Merc had quite a sizeable race pace advantage over both RBR and Ferrari.
Yeah that graph from FOM made no sense though... Nobody really did any long enough stints to figure out race pace so I don't know how they pulled it together. If they used historical data there's not a lot of quality in the result of the prediction, but it's obvious that Merc will be a contender to me, 8 times in a row winners, they know how to win.

dans79

dialtone wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 07:23
zibby43 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Yeah that graph from FOM made no sense though... Nobody really did any long enough stints to figure out race pace so I don't know how they pulled it together. If they used historical data there's not a lot of quality in the result of the prediction, but it's obvious that Merc will be a contender to me, 8 times in a row winners, they know how to win.

If memory serves, they have access to the raw gps data and telemetry data thats is significantly more accurate and at a higher sample rate than what any of us have access to. If you have a physics or math background, and some auto racing knowledge you can get decently accurate predictions, with normal caveats.
197 104 103 7

LM10

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 07:46
dialtone wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

If memory serves, they have access to the raw gps data and telemetry data thats is significantly more accurate and at a higher sample rate than what any of us have access to. If you have a physics or math background, and some auto racing knowledge you can get decently accurate predictions, with normal caveats.
Only if the laps the teams did were race simulation stints which they weren't. Ferrari and Mercedes at the very least have done setup work the whole day. How do draw conclusions from lap times when teams set their car up from one extreme to another extreme in order to test out different things is beyond me.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 08:20
dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 07:46
dialtone wrote:

Only if the laps the teams did were race simulation stints which they weren't. Ferrari and Mercedes at the very least have done setup work the whole day. How do draw conclusions from lap times when teams set their car up from one extreme to another extreme in order to test out different things is beyond me.
actuarial science.
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

the relationship with Max after such an intense battle last year

fritticaldi

The Mercedes front wing flexing so much its like an airplane flap. Sparks flying from the floor dragging already being discussed by FIA.

RZS10

The flexing on the FWs is probably quite similar for most teams, there's no real difference between RB and Merc at least.

edit: to clarify ... i also noticed the flexing on the Merc yesterday, the next car that was shown in the nose cam (it seems to be used quite rarely) was the RB - here's the deflection from low to high speed in blue/red ...

The usual disclaimers (difference in camera position, angle, focal length etc applies), try guessing which is which
Last edited by RZS10 on 11 Mar 2022, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

If you are going to obsess over Mercedes from a negative point of view, at least do your due diligence and draw comparisons to other cars before making assumptions that Mercedes car is behaving untoward.

It contributes no value to pull guesses out of our arse and qualify them as factual assertions. Anyone can do that..

dans79

Autosport being dramatic:

09:15 Hamilton responds to Verstappen's lap with a 1m34.141s on the C5s to go third overall, around a tenth quicker than the Red Bull, but was 13km/h down on the straight. What does it all mean?
197 104 103 7

Marty_Y

'Typical Mercedes'

Andrew Benson

BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

Who’s quick? That’s what everyone wants to know. Pretty much everyone also says, though, that it’s impossible to tell. Not only are the normal vagaries of testing at play. The wind and heat in Bahrain is adding to the confusion.

Red Bull’s Sergio Pérez said: “The track is changing so much from one hour to the next one so it’s difficult to make any predictions.” Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz added: “It is very difficult to take conclusions in Bahrain even when you are testing things that you want to make conclusions from, because the track keeps changing and evolving every half an hour.”

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said: “It is impossible to tell. What you can say is that it’s only going to be next Saturday (in qualifying) you’ll get the first snap shot, when the fuel comes out, people run as close to the weight limit as they can. I don’t think Mercedes have shown their hand yet. Ferrari look the form team. Hopefully we can be in there as well. It looks like McLaren have a strong car. Alpine have a strong car.”

Mercedes - and their driver George Russell - have also said Ferrari look in the best shape is far. Sainz isn’t falling for it. “It is typical Mercedes,” he said, “typical George - hype up the others and then come to the first race and blow the competition away.

"If it was the first season they did it I would maybe believe them, but they have done it for five, six years now and they keep surprising us in the first race. So as you can imagine I don’t believe much. Already in GPS we can also see what they are doing and, yeah… I am not going to say much.”

organic

The more I see the car, the more I like it. It looked too simple in Barcelona and then the new sidepods made me feel it was ugly. But after my eyes have got used to the shape, it is very sleek and quite beautiful.

Fingers crossed there's a ton of performance to unlock; obviously the team is not doing proper performance runs but the car balance, porpoising seems to not be in great shape so far. Hopefully a setup breakthrough may happen

chrisc90

organic wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 21:40
The more I see the car, the more I like it. It looked too simple in Barcelona and then the new sidepods made me feel it was ugly. But after my eyes have got used to the shape, it is very sleek and quite beautiful.

Fingers crossed there's a ton of performance to unlock; obviously the team is not doing proper performance runs but the car balance, porpoising seems to not be in great shape so far. Hopefully a setup breakthrough may happen
Personal opinion but now looks the worst car on the grid. Even the FIA demo car looks better than the Merc IMHO

shamyakovic

Re: Mercedes W13

holeindalip

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 21:48
organic wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 21:40

Personal opinion but now looks the worst car on the grid. Even the FIA demo car looks better than the Merc IMHO
Teams don’t chase aesthetics, they chase performance :)