Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Mercedes W13

I'm not sure if its just good downforce. It might be weight as well. Does anyone have an order of cars by wheel base length? I've been curious to learn where the cars are different in that aspect.

The Mercedes has lived up to its recent trend of concept: efficiency and low drag over downforce. The concept is extreme and the downforce performance hinges on that floor maybe even more than the other cars with the bulk-sidepods. So, the fact that their unresolved porpoising is in their way from really activating the peak potential of that car concept is not surprising. The more the raise the ride height, perhaps the greater the ratio of downforce loss there is on their car because its even more sensitive and dependent on this than the others?

If they sort out the porpoising (and I have no doubt they will) I won't be surprised if that car supersedes the rest with margin.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-p ... s/8953338/

The photo that offers clues about Mercedes’ F1 troubles
Lewis Hamilton’s declaration that Mercedes is not in a position to win Formula 1 races at this stage of the season says much about the extent of its testing troubles.

By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Matt Somerfield
Mar 13, 2022, 9:26 AM

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Marty_Y wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 12:59

Lewis Hamilton’s declaration that Mercedes is not in a position to win Formula 1 races at this stage of the season says much about the extent of its testing troubles.

By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Matt Somerfield
My 2 cents is that Merc have not got or didnot finish making their new floor in time and hence had to go for basic floor for the test... this made the issue very bad for them.
Just look at the floors of ferrari and mclaren (both have controlled this issue)
Merc floor

Looks like they might bring new floor for the first race which will negate the issue

Henri
Henri

shamyakovic wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:07
Marty_Y wrote:

By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Matt Somerfield
My 2 cents is that Merc have not got or didnot finish making their new floor in time and hence had to go for basic floor for the test... this made the issue very bad for them.
Just look at the floors of ferrari and mclaren (both have controlled this issue)
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 567340.jpg
Merc floor
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/L ... 880355.jpg

Looks like they might bring new floor for the first race which will negate the issue
Looks like they lose 6 or 7 tenths by yhe bouncing in the straights.. they better fix it before q3 or George and lewis will qualify p5 or p8 🙄

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

shamyakovic wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:

By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Matt Somerfield
Merc floor

Maybe there's something in that, in the first test they used temporary stays attached from the body to the floor to stop the floor flexing down, at the second test they were still using the same stays which to me (I could be totally wrong) suggests that the floor they were using was designed and manufactured before they knew about the problem and didn't have time to improve it between tests.

That's just my opinion and someone more familiar with the timeframes for design and manufacture of parts will probably know better.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Marty_Y wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:32
shamyakovic wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:

By:
Jonathan Noble
Co-author:
Matt Somerfield
Merc floor

Maybe there's something in that, in the first test they used temporary stays attached from the body to the floor to stop the floor flexing down, at the second test they were still using the same stays which to me (I could be totally wrong) suggests that the floor they were using was designed and manufactured before they knew about the problem and didn't have time to improve it between tests.

That's just my opinion and someone more familiar with the timeframes for design and manufacture of parts will probably know better.
True, I was surprised to see the floor stay there for second test in a row... and also they have a very basic floor. I guess a new floor will solve most issues.
I am guessing they had a production issue or they made went the wrong direction with the floor and are now awaiting for new floor

djones
djones

Admittedly I only watched about 45 minutes of testing. But it seemed to me that the Mercedes is the fastest car of them all.... when it's not bouncing.

In the slow corners where it's not being pushed down (and bouncing as bad) it's the best out there. Also, I think it's pretty clear they have the engine turned way down and there are no reasons they won't have the best engine yet again when it's turned up.

Being super fast with a flaw is what you'd take all day long - versus having no flaws and average speed. Once they have the bouncing sorted this thing will be the fastest car out there, no doubt in my mind from what I have read and seen on TV so far.

chrisc90

djones wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 14:49
Admittedly I only watched about 45 minutes of testing. But it seemed to me that the Mercedes is the fastest car of them all.... when it's not bouncing.

In the slow corners where it's not being pushed down (and bouncing as bad) it's the best out there. Also, I think it's pretty clear they have the engine turned way down and there are no reasons they won't have the best engine yet again when it's turned up.

Being super fast with a flaw is what you'd take all day long - versus having no flaws and average speed. Once they have the bouncing sorted this thing will be the fastest car out there, no doubt in my mind from what I have read and seen on TV so far.
Martin Brundle said the merc was one of the worst cars out there at the moment about 1 hour from the end of the final test day.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 14:54
djones wrote:

Martin Brundle said the merc was one of the worst cars out there at the moment about 1 hour from the end of the final test day.
He said worst car when it came to bouncing. There is a difference

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:36
Marty_Y wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Merc floor

True, I was surprised to see the floor stay there for second test in a row... and also they have a very basic floor. I guess a new floor will solve most issues.
I am guessing they had a production issue or they made went the wrong direction with the floor and are now awaiting for new floor
2 weeks time between testing rounds. I dare bet you could stiffen the floor in that much time - especially if they have the moulds. Now theres less than 1 week to go before the start of the season, it's VERY unlikely that they will have the time - especially if they couldnt do it between tests. Unless they are working on a complete new design. If they need a floor - im sure they will have teams working round the clock in order to get a floor made up/stiffened in that time. of course, if they are bringing a whole new floor - it will be very much un-tested.

djones
djones

chrisc90 wrote:
djones wrote:

For bouncing and having its lap compromised because of it I agree. In fact, it's probably the worst car of them all for this easily.

But with the engine turned down (look how slow its top speeds were) and it bouncing all over, sometimes dangerously the car set the 5th fastest time on the final day.

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 14:57
chrisc90 wrote:
djones wrote:

He said worst car when it came to bouncing. There is a difference
I missed the exact words as was on in the background. If it was in relation to just the bouncing - I stand corrected on that.

Stu

shamyakovic wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Merc floor

The floor stay for the second test looked far less improvised than the one that appeared at the first test.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Stu wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:11
shamyakovic wrote:
Marty_Y wrote:

The floor stay for the second test looked far less improvised than the one that appeared at the first test.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/105970/f ... cedes.html

It looks like the FIA allowed the stay which can be used legally used.
Mercedes thinking it will not be useful

For Mercedes, this is not the case. At the German team, there are doubts about the FIA's solution. An engineer from the team spoke to AMuS: '' Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it doesn't.'' This is also evident with the W13 still bouncing hard over the track.

PlatinumZealot

I agree that we haven't seen the proper floor for this car yet. If they spotted the problem 2 weeks ago, they will be taking their time to carefully produce the solution for the race.

Look out in FP1 for the new floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN