Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Alpine A522

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:38
What happened to the "new parts and upgrades in Bahrain, Barcelona just an engine test"? The car looks the same since Barcelona. Sure they may be an extra gurney flap here and there, some extra opened cooling gills but is that it? Car has hardly evolved.
I saw mainly floor upgrades. They did something in the front cause they ran flow via.

The grill were there in spain but blocked off cause it was too cold.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:33
AR3-GP wrote:
What happened to the "new parts and upgrades in Bahrain, Barcelona just an engine test"? The car looks the same since Barcelona. Sure they may be an extra gurney flap here and there, some extra opened cooling gills but is that it? Car has hardly evolved.
I saw mainly floor upgrades. They did something in the front cause they ran flow via.
Well the pics you posted earlier indicated that they had 2 different front wings. Not dramatically different to each other but definitely not the same. Trying to find that sweet spot maybe ?

diffuser

Bisonas wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:22
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Well the pics you posted earlier indicated that they had 2 different front wings. Not dramatically different to each other but definitely not the same. Trying to find that sweet spot maybe ?
Looked identical, one had a gurney flap on it.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 04:50
Bisonas wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:22
diffuser wrote:

Looked identical, one had a gurney flap on it.
The upper flap is slightly differently curved. Its not just the gurney flap. Focus on the shape and curves of the upper flap.

RedNEO

Would love to know why they were running an almost Monza spec rear wing.. do they really plan to use that wing next week considering that doesn’t seem like it would suite the high downforce nature of this track and surely can’t be good on tyre life and general sliding around.

fouad1979

RedNEO wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 19:23
Would love to know why they were running an almost Monza spec rear wing.. do they really plan to use that wing next week considering that doesn’t seem like it would suite the high downforce nature of this track and surely can’t be good on tyre life and general sliding around.
U ar right or maybe the engine ar not ready to be exploited at 100% Alonse was quick in s1 but lose half second in s2 every time

Bisonas

By AlbertFabrega.

The differences in the upper flap of the front wing are more easy to spot in these pictures.
Last edited by Bisonas on 13 Mar 2022, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

diffuser

[media] [/media]

Francesc

High fuel lap :lol: Everyone was slower on the speedtrap yesterday as there was headwind on the main straight...

peewon

Honest question, how can they tell if the slow cornering is due to higher fuel loads and not lower downforce? A clear sign of 'hidden' performance would be matching the fastest corners and slower on the straights due to running lower engine modes. Other people could also be running equal or higher fuel loads. Same with engine modes. Diff. season but Alpine was one of the teams that ran practice sessions closer to its race pace than most last season. Honestly, I think its a bad sign if youre way ahead on the speed trap and yet down on the overall lap time.

Im more interested in seeing how flexible their design philosophy allows them to be once the optimum choices are discovered over the course of a season. I was expecting a radical packaging design like the Merc after their experience with central cooling from last year, the leaked pic from Abu Dhabi test, new PU and specially after the speculation from Scarbs. But maybe having a conservative approach to start allows more room to pivot and evolve?

diffuser

Edit.

Unless someone told them... point was more along the lines that they were just testing low df setup. We'll find out next saturday what speed they really have compared to others.
Last edited by diffuser on 13 Mar 2022, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 22:59
My point was more that they were just testing low df setup. We'll find out next saturday what speed they really have compared to others.
Ah, gotcha. I was reading the writeup in the tweet with the telemetry data and replying to that.

Blackout

Alpine might have changed the cooling layout in Sakhir, but I'm not sure

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 00:13
Alpine might have changed the cooling layout in Sakhir, but I'm not sure

That would be VERY exciting!