Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes W13

ringo wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:26
Scarbs spoke of 3D printed radiators. But someone posted the regs on heat exchangers, and did it not say that additive manufacturing is not permitted for heat exchangers?
You can't 3d print a primary exchanger core (what's in the sidepods).

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -02-18.pdf
7.4.2 b
The core must not be produced using additive manufacturing.
That restriction doesn't exists for secondary exchangers. He was talking about the intercooler (a secondary exchanger).
197 104 103 7

Rodak
Rodak

smilodon wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 19:45
I have a question.
Imagine if Mercedes wants the left side of their car with zeropod and the right side with the old one.... I know it wouldn't work, but there's my question...

Is it allowed to make an asymmetric car or they have to make the left and the right side with the same layout?
I don't know of any rule requiring symmetry as long as the bodywork fits within the defined volumes. I also don't know why you would want to do this. Can you expostulate? Oddly enough they have to paint them the same; seems like having two different paint schemes would be helpful for getting sponsors as well as making it easier for us fans to tell them apart........
Last edited by Rodak on 14 Mar 2022, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:59
ringo wrote:
Scarbs spoke of 3D printed radiators. But someone posted the regs on heat exchangers, and did it not say that additive manufacturing is not permitted for heat exchangers?

7.4.2 b
That restriction doesn't exists for secondary exchangers. He was talking about the intercooler (a secondary exchanger).
Great rules/regs info, as always!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

So at first I couldn't work out what would be so interesting mucking about with the secondary cooler because the liquid in the intercooler must be cooled by a primary heat exchanger. That primary exchanger is limited in its power density due to the prescriptive regulations. But then I realized quite a few things that might be improved upon when the intercooler lacks any regulations whatsoever other than to be metallic

1) Lower air temperature post intercooler than a conventional PWR mezzo microtube design.
2) Lower air resistance.
3) Smaller, lighter, intercooler than a conventional design.

So Mercedes could have found improvements in all of these areas through their new technology partner. This might explain why Merc also seem to have higher gear ratios than others above 5th gear. Perhaps they have some extra power (or more efficiency?) at high RPM due to the intercooler design whereas the power/efficiency may fall off sooner for the other manufacturers.

ringo

dans79 wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:59
ringo wrote:

7.4.2 b
How does the regs classify secondary?
The intercooler seems important.
For Sure!!

dans79

ringo wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 07:31
How does the regs classify secondary?
The intercooler seems important.
the definitions are in article 7.4.1
Primary Heat Exchanger: a heat exchanger that uses the air flowing over or through
the car to cool a fluid
, which includes all of the core, tubes, header plates, header
tanks and fins

Secondary Heat Exchanger: a heat exchanger that uses a fluid other than the air
flowing over or through the car to cool another fluid.
197 104 103 7

Henri
Henri

JPower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:46
Henri wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:29
If the bouncing doesn't stop they need to copy redbull's side pod design because their car is so stable smooth ride
What do side pods have to do with porpoising? How exactly would Red Bull's sidepods works with Mercedes' aero concept?

I'm interested to hear this one.
Simple those sidepods bring more down force.. thats why the other cars run smooth

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

ringo wrote:Scarbs spoke of 3D printed radiators. But someone posted the regs on heat exchangers, and did it not say that additive manufacturing is not permitted for heat exchangers?
Didn't Scarbs said that about the intercooler?
Is the intercooler bound to the same restrictions?

Enviado do meu RMX3241 através do Tapatalk

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

dans79 wrote:
ringo wrote:

7.4.2 b
That was also my understanding

Enviado do meu RMX3241 através do Tapatalk

FDD
FDD

W13 sidepods remind me on Lambo 291

JPower
JPower

Henri wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 09:21
JPower wrote:
Henri wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 05:29
If the bouncing doesn't stop they need to copy redbull's side pod design because their car is so stable smooth ride
What do side pods have to do with porpoising? How exactly would Red Bull's sidepods works with Mercedes' aero concept?

Simple those sidepods bring more down force.. thats why the other cars run smooth
That’s a new one. So the Mercedes isn’t making enough downforce? How do you know this?

SiLo

JPower wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 12:34
Henri wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 09:21
JPower wrote:

That’s a new one. So the Mercedes isn’t making enough downforce? How do you know this?
Just report or vote the post down for technical inaccuracy. Don't respond to the troll.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Amus says a new floor is coming for the race,, just as I predicted.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AeroDynamic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 13:03
Amus says a new floor is coming for the race,, just as I predicted.
Maybe scarbs knows something we don't... like Pat Symonds.

Lets suppose Mercedes know already the way to solve the issue.. in a way that is better than what we saw at testing.. Do you want your rivals to copy your solution from the test :?: :?:

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Rodak wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 06:06
smilodon wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 19:45
I have a question.
Imagine if Mercedes wants the left side of their car with zeropod and the right side with the old one.... I know it wouldn't work, but there's my question...

Is it allowed to make an asymmetric car or they have to make the left and the right side with the same layout?
I don't know of any rule requiring symmetry as long as the bodywork fits within the defined volumes. I also don't know why you would want to do this. Can you expostulate? Oddly enough they have to paint them the same; seems like having two different paint schemes would be helpful for getting sponsors as well as making it easier for us fans to tell them apart........
3.2.3 Symmetry
All bodywork must be nominally symmetrical with respect to Y=0. Consequently, and unless
otherwise specified, any regulation in Article 3 concerning one side of the car will be assumed
to be valid for the other side of the car and references to maximum permissible numbers of
components in Article 3 will also refer to the one side of the car.
Minimal exceptions to the requirement of symmetry of this Article will be accepted for the
installation of non-symmetrical mechanical components of the car, for asymmetrical cooling
requirements or for asymmetrical angle adjustment of the front flap defined in Article 3.9.7.
Bodywork on the unsprung mass must respect this Article when the suspension position of
each wheel is virtually re-orientated so that its wheel coordinate system axes (described in
Article 2.11.3) are parallel to their respective axis of the car coordinate system (described in
Article 2.11.1).