2022 pecking order speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who comes out on top in the new regs?

Mercedes
26%
Red Bull
23%
Ferrari
28%
McLaren
13%
Aston Martin
2%
Williams
2%
Haas
2%
Alfa Romeo
0%
Alpine
4%
Alpha Tauri
0%

Total votes: 446

baybars

Re: 2022 pecking order speculation

Ferrari
Red Bull
Mercedes McLaren Alpine (with in 0.1-0.2)
Aston Martin AlphaTauri (with in 0.1-0.2)
Williams Sauber Haas (with in 0.1-0.2)

I suppose that buttom team away 0.8 seconds behind the leaders.

JPower

Bill wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 09:14
i doubt ferrari and Renault has closed the pu gap to merc and Honda.with Merc slightly strugling Rbr in the hand of Max will have it easy.
I don't. There might be some difference but nothing like it was last year.

Ferrari in particular should be near the top. They were close to Honda post-hybrid upgrade last year.

Jambier

Bill wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 09:14
i doubt ferrari and Renault has closed the pu gap to merc and Honda.with Merc slightly strugling Rbr in the hand of Max will have it easy.
I think Renault and Ferrari have made huge engine progress, hence we will have something closer in terms of the 4 PU

So in my opinion, the truth will be about the chassis, but with only 6 days of testing, it is impossible to see clearly if someone will finally be able to end the Mercedes domination after 8 years of world title.

I really would like to see at least a "2012 like" begining of season, with 5 teams / drivers wining races

Roman

baybars wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 11:10
Ferrari
Red Bull
Mercedes McLaren Alpine (with in 0.1-0.2)
Aston Martin AlphaTauri (with in 0.1-0.2)
Williams Sauber Haas (with in 0.1-0.2)

I suppose that buttom team away 0.8 seconds behind the leaders.
I find it incredibly hard to come up with a pecking order after the tests. Yes, the usual suspects will probably be on top (but even there: who knows?) But behind it is all impossible to tell. AM, AT, Alpine are completely dark horses to me. They could be up top or at the bottom or somewhere in-between.

Artur Craft

The top four are quite clear in my speculative analysis:
Mercedes_ best PU since ever and an aero department that is double of Red Bull´s, so I can´t see them other than on top and I think they ran with massive sandbags on Bahrain and, despite that, Russel had cornering speeds well above Ferrari´s, and on par with Max

Red Bull_ seems a very stable car and Newey will always deliver. I guess it won´t be able to make up for the PU deficit but I see them just a few tenths behind MGP

Ferrari_ seems like they came up with a decent package but I´m skeptical where it´s enough to challenge the other two

Mclaren_ like Ferrari but doesn´t seem quite as sorted out

From 5th onwards, it´s a lottery imo. The 5th car could easily be Alpine, Toro Rosso, Force India or even the likes of Haas, Williams or Sauber

Bill

Merc didnt have the best pu last year Honda did it suffered high power degradition and was weak at high altitude like always .ferrari also high best pu in 2018 legal or not but it was most powerful so lets stick to facts and give others credits for doing great work

diffuser

Bill wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 14:05
Merc didnt have the best pu last year Honda did it suffered high power degradition and was weak at high altitude like always .ferrari also high best pu in 2018 legal or not but it was most powerful so lets stick to facts and give others credits for doing great work
We're just blowing smoke here, there isn't enough information to make that comparison. Everything except for some of those reliabvility stats are hear say. I will say that both PUs are good enough to win with.

Artur Craft

Bill wrote:
Merc didnt have the best pu last year Honda
really? I wonder why Max seemed like a sitting duck on Brazil, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi, Doha.........

Just_a_fan

Artur Craft wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 14:31
Bill wrote:
Merc didnt have the best pu last year Honda
really? I wonder why Max seemed like a sitting duck on Brazil, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi, Doha.........
You only have to see his posting history to see he doesn't like Mercedes. Probably not worth getting in to an argument with him about it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bill

apparantly Merc was using an illegal rearwing beam in Brazil they were nowhere in mexico a high altitude track .ones test were introduced next race after brazil there top speed massively reduced.

diffuser

Bill wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 15:44
apparantly Merc was using an illegal rearwing beam in Brazil they were nowhere in mexico a high altitude track .ones test were introduced next race after brazil there top speed massively reduced.
IMHO all that regs stuff never sped any car up. It was more about pulling resources off of developing the car. A distraction.

BTW BEAM wings were illegal in 2021. Nobody ran a Beam wing last year and hasn't for years. They regs were changed for 2022 to allow them again.

Just_a_fan

diffuser wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 16:14
Bill wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 15:44
IMHO all that regs stuff never sped any car up. It was more about pulling resources off of developing the car. A distraction.

BTW BEAM wings were illegal in 2021. Nobody ran a Beam wing last year and hasn't for years. They regs were changed for 2022 to allow them again.
There you go using facts to upset the conspiracy theories. :lol:

LM10

Artur Craft wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 13:48
Mercedes_ best PU since ever and an aero department that is double of Red Bull´s, so I can´t see them other than on top and I think they ran with massive sandbags on Bahrain and, despite that, Russel had cornering speeds well above Ferrari´s, and on par with Max

Red Bull_ seems a very stable car and Newey will always deliver. I guess it won´t be able to make up for the PU deficit but I see them just a few tenths behind MGP

Ferrari_ seems like they came up with a decent package but I´m skeptical where it´s enough to challenge the other two

From 5th onwards, it´s a lottery imo. The 5th car could easily be Alpine, Toro Rosso, Force India or even the likes of Haas, Williams or Sauber
Can you show me those cornering speeds by any chance?

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 17:00
Artur Craft wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 13:48

Can you show me those cornering speeds by any chance?
And also evidence that the Red Bull has a PU deficit. They were certainly on a par last year.

Zynerji

SAT with 2 surprise wins this season...😏