2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

hollus wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 22:39
Guys, welcome to 2022. 2021 ended and many users here developed an allergy to it. Let it sleep. Hordes of posts have been removed, seriously, let 2021 be last year.

Looking forward to the extra stop being a viable strategy in most races again as the invisible energy shield no longer is a bubble 2 seconds around every car.
Draw a line and issue yellow cards to persistent offenders, maybe banish to a separate thread where only this can be spoken of and nothing else.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mr5in1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:36
They say this new race director is draconian when it comes to the white lines. All wheels off mean you are off the track. If a single inside wheel goes over the white line you are cutting the corner.
Still sounds less strict than Gran Turismo online, hit a wall and you get a penalty for it!

Joking aside I agree with this and would want it applied consistently like computer games do, the tech is there to enforce it

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

PlatinumZealot wrote:
They say this new race director is draconian when it comes to the white lines. All wheels off mean you are off the track. If a single inside wheel goes over the white line you are cutting the corner.
Nah that second part isnt true. They put inside wheels off on apex' all the time at le mans. The rules always been all 4 off, is off.

Unc1eM0nty

From testing it looked like they were staying well clear of the curbs to avoid floor damage. The solution is clear to me, put curbs everywhere so there is a true penalty and they will police it themselves.

Jambier

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 13:06
From testing it looked like they were staying well clear of the curbs to avoid floor damage. The solution is clear to me, put curbs everywhere so there is a true penalty and they will police it themselves.
Yes, the ability to control porpoising while still being fast and be able to get back on the curbs will be key for the first part of the season

mclaren111

Unc1eM0nty wrote:

=D> =D>

RZS10

2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20 ?

Artur Craft

ringo wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 20:59
The increased ability to follow could create opportunity for those who adapt to it quicker. They will be less hesitant to brake deeper and follow through high speed to try a pass.
Hamilton is the guy who is typically battling more confortably and going for a manouvre(the best overtaker imo, by a good margin), so I expect him to be the one trying out things in the begining and, then, encouraging others to do the same.

But the most important thing is, if they follow closely indeed, FIA will need to act quickly and ban DRS, at least on some tracks(they can keep it on Monaco and a few others)
Last edited by Artur Craft on 15 Mar 2022, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

hollus

There will be warnings for repeated off topics. You have been warned. We are deleting close to 50% of posts, this is too much. Find the right thread or open your own for other topics.
Chatting about whatever I want wherever I am and wherever the people are more likely to see it, will not do. Because, you know, we want to have a functional F1 tech forum.
Rivals, not enemies.

goatil
goatil

Artur Craft wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 14:40
ringo wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 20:59
The increased ability to follow could create opportunity for those who adapt to it quicker. They will be less hesitant to brake deeper and follow through high speed to try a pass.
Hamilton is the guy who is typically battling more confortably and going for a manouvre(the best overtaker imo, by a good margin), so I expect him to be the one trying out things in the begining and, then, encouraging others to do the same.

But the most important thing is, if they follow closely indeed, FIA will need to act quickly and ban DRS, at least on some tracks(they can keep it on Monaco and a few others)
I reckon they won't ban it until they somehow set some quota regarding the maximum outwash flow a car can produce, otherwise they might find themselves having to add it back in a few years once one team finds a way to push air flows to the outside thus damaging the driver behind's stability

NicoS

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Any floor damage to cars this season will be a race killer.
whether damage is caused by kerbs or collision, the car with damage is guaranteed to finish last.
The FIA "Technical" "working" group created a design rule set that places way too much aero dependency on the floor.

Neno
Neno

NicoS wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:26
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
whether damage is caused by kerbs or collision, the car with damage is guaranteed to finish last.
The FIA "Technical" "working" group created a design rule set that places way too much aero dependency on the floor.
How many times in past you saw teams race ended due floor damage? It was usually front wing and bargeboard area if it was racing incident. Usually if drivers make mistake they can damage floor going on kerbs which are raised as track limits. And to me drivers which makes mistake should actually be punished in race for actually going off track limits, sometimes on purpose to gain advantage. When FIA wont act maybe their cars will with having actual consequences.

NicoS

Neno wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:35
NicoS wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:26
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
How many times in past you saw teams race ended due floor damage? It was usually front wing and bargeboard area if it was racing incident. Usually if drivers make mistake they can damage floor going on kerbs which are raised as track limits. And to me drivers which makes mistake should actually be punished in race for actually going off track limits, sometimes on purpose to gain advantage. When FIA wont act maybe their cars will with having actual consequences.
yes.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

silver wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:17
taperoo2k wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:00
silver wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 10:29
I think this is being overplayed. Reliability has been at it's best in F1 and it's only getting better. Even with such 'porpoising' issues, teams completed enormous amount of mileage. Some teams even completed race sims. All this without having to go through serious damage to any part of the car. In fact with a such simplified cars in terms of appendages, the amount of carbon fibre debris in clashes would be significantly less which also means, despite some contacts, the damage may not hurt a great deal on aero performance. Drivers just need to be cautious to avoid kerbs and especially if there are sausage curbs as now the underfloor is significantly important than ever. By next week there would be some solutions for the porpoising issues, either temporary or permanent.

I wish they would further simply the floor area and remove all those cuts, curves, bends, bulges and appendages with change of rules to make the floor inline with the FIA show car.
If the cars are consistently hitting the ground hard due to porpoising then you will damage the car over the course of a race weekend to the point where even the most robust of components will fail and may you run out of spare parts before the race so have to do running repairs on floors etc that might well fail in the race. We'll only know if it's been overstated once the race is over. Racing puts a lot more stresses and strains on the cars and drivers than testing ever will.

Aside from reliability, it'll be interesting to see how the race evolves in terms of how the drivers go about overtaking over the course of a race. Will it be tentative or caution thrown to the wind ?
They did multiple race distances in 3 days testing, but nobody broke floors. Like I mentioned already, some cars did race sims without issues. Some cars had usual damages that we have seen in the past while running over kerbs. That's why in my opinion it's being overstated. As usual, there will be some cars that would hit reliability problems as nobody pushed the engine components to the fullest. It's an issue that we have witnessed in the past seasons.
They did race distances under test conditions, they didn't run the cars as hard as they will in the races. If the racing is a lot closer then it will see more wheel to wheel action - more crashes and shunts. More kerbs hit, running over debris from other cars and so on. It's not being overstated, just noted that the risks in the first few races will be higher than normal. Once teams and drivers understand the new formula, they'll refine how they go about racing.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
That's a good thing, drivers have been taking one too many liberties in recent seasons with track limits.

RonMexico
RonMexico

Will qualifying be a bit of a mess if as predicted teams 5-8/9/10 will be quite close in pace? Has there been any update to the issue with jostling for position before the second runs? Surely getting the last lap in will be a significant advantage if there is less than a tenth between certain cars or teammates