2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

If the enforcement of that would vastly differ between those two it really wouldn't be a good look - hopefully they have the same approach ...

Postmoe

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:25
scheffers wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:00
It's very survivable for most persons, but very unpleasant. I could imagine if say, a quarter of the crew had caught it then it would affect performances.
It's survivable for most people to say the least:
confirmed since December showed the Omicron variant’s severity and death rates averaged 0.38% and 0.18%, respectively, compared with 1.4% and 0.7% for the Delta cases
And if you look at it in age perspective, the restrictions they run in the paddock are totally unnecessary.

Of course it will affect performance, but that has nothing to do with any restrictions and how long they are willing to keep up with them. I recon a lot of crew members already have had Covid in their winter-stay at home, as do a lot of people elsewhere in the world.
I got Covid too, took a month to clear up fully. I still see the need for for masks and for persons to isolate when they are positive bacause I don't wish Covid on anyone. That's my personal feeling though. If they were in England Seb might have gotten away with it - racing and chatting about with other people spreading his Covid into next week. If he had contact with 1000 people over that time according to your numbers he would have "killed" 2 persons.

Glad to see Hulk back in the car. Hmm... the Covid strike-rate is pretty high so far int he paddock. I am sorta expecting more positives not driver but other team personnel, and then we will see more persons masking up again.
It's nice to read this: it's not about the wellbeing of people in the paddock, it's about the wellbeing of people and organizations that are not directly there but are affected by any change in the covid supply chain of sorts.

That's how good public policies work.

JPower
JPower

Marko says Red Bull shouldn't be challenged by Ferrari on pace.

Pretty confident as usual.

mclaren111

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:42
I won't be shocked if McLaren's brakes fail this weekend

I say Lando for a podium... :D :D

holeindalip
holeindalip

NicoS wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 15:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 14:00
It's very survivable for most persons, but very unpleasant. I could imagine if say, a quarter of the crew had caught it then it would affect performances.
Not unpleasant at all. Was told I "had" "it" apparently my wife had it also, could have fooled us.
wasted a whole week at home... Pathetic really. :evil:
It has different effects and symptoms for a lot of people, I had it and was vaccinated with mild symptoms. Still feel my stamina is down months later….

chrisc90

https://www.fia.com/documents/champions ... -2022-2005

Event notes are out.

Pleased the white line is the edge of the track/limits. Not sure if this means you can put your wheels furthest away off the track or just the outer wheel.

Artur Craft

Stu wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 08:49
Even if the drag has not altered much, if (negative) lift has reduced the L:D will not be as good as previously.
Unless you are specifically try to ‘cheat’ the air (LSR-style) in trying to manipulate it to your own aero benefit (for reducing lap-time), you will create drag.
Have the cars really lost -lift, though? I wonder because Max and Russel were capable of doing 202 kph on T5 during testing while Max was doing 212 kph on his 2021 Bahrain pole. That relatively small gap could be solely due to the 50kg extra weight (mass, actually)

If the pole this year has the same speed as last year´s pole, then this year´s already have more downforce and that is what I would expect, actually. They lost a lot of downforce on the front wing but I imagine that they have gained quite a bit more from the floor

Haas, in particular, probably has more downforce this year than on their undeveloped cars of the past 2 years. It would be nice if Juzh could access Mick´s telemetry from last year´s qualifying and check his speed at T5, then we compare it with the one Mick will have on a couple of days

Big Tea

Mandrake wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:56
I am very happy to see Hulk back, but this will be very tough for him. Almost no time to prepare for the new car he has never driven. But also a chance to show his qualities again

EDIT: Now just imagine the Aston was the fastest car and Hulk could snap his first win :D
Will be interesting to see Hulk v Stroll. I know Hulk will not have had preseason, but still a nice comparison to a non world champ driver.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

New title sequence and graphics

Artur Craft

Mandrake wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:56
EDIT: Now just imagine the Aston was the fastest car and Hulk could snap his first win :D
Obviously, they are not.

I´ll take this as an opportunity to share the cumulative gap, relative to Red Bull, throughout all of Bahrain´s corners:
Mercedes +0.8s
Alfa Romeo +1s
Alpine +1.1s
Mclaren +1.2s
Ferrari +1.2s
Haas +1.7s
Aston Martin +2.2s
Alpha Tauri +3s
Williams +3.3s

Note that these were calculated from "Driven by Data"´s graphs that were shared on twitter. It also only involves each teams fastest run on each corner segment, so these numbers do not take into account the time each car gains/loses on the straights

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:57
Thats disappointing for Vettel. When are Formula 1 going to relax these covid measures?
The pandemic is ongoing and if you want F1 races to go ahead then the FIA, F1 and teams have to follow the local laws and regulations that pertain to controlling the pandemic in that country.
I don't want to see a Championship decided by covid. The pandemic has influenced the championship enough already.
It is what it is, if it impacts the championship ? Not much anyone can do about it. I'm going to enjoy the races and worry about the championship later on in the year.

izzy
izzy

Artur Craft wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 18:03
I´ll take this as an opportunity to share the cumulative gap, relative to Red Bull, throughout all of Bahrain´s corners:
Mercedes +0.8s
Alfa Romeo +1s
Alpine +1.1s
Mclaren +1.2s
Ferrari +1.2s
Haas +1.7s
Aston Martin +2.2s
Alpha Tauri +3s
Williams +3.3s

Note that these were calculated from "Driven by Data"´s graphs that were shared on twitter. It also only involves each teams fastest run on each corner segment, so these numbers do not take into account the time each car gains/loses on the straights
Edit: not sure about this data now
Last edited by izzy on 17 Mar 2022, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

izzy wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:11

Thanks 8) It's like a baseline to start watching tomorrow. Hoping Ferrari aren't really mid table :shock:
If they were that far back, no one in the paddock would be talking about them.

dialtone
dialtone

JPower wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 20:21
izzy wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:11

Thanks 8) It's like a baseline to start watching tomorrow. Hoping Ferrari aren't really mid table :shock:
If they were that far back, no one in the paddock would be talking about them.
Did they publish how they calculate those numbers? From telemetry I calculated on their fastest laps Ferrari was ahead in most slow corners, but if you included the straights in between they would be behind due to top speed. For example Ferrari is way faster in T1 (4kph more for FER), T10 (2kph more), T13 (3kph more) as far as lowest speed in the corner goes, Ferrari paid some speed (5kph) to Verstappen but not Russel (3kph more than Merc) on T14. Would be interested in knowing the methodology of the analysis, but I doubt it's just corners, I think it's a whole section of the lap. Looking at corner performance only it would seem RBR and FER are quite close, but all depends on fuel load.

EDIT:
Looking at telemetry for example, after T1, in which FER is the fastest, no car breaks, all are 100% throttle until T4, so for Ferrari to be losing something there it has to be on engine, not on corner performance.

AeroDynamic

Herbie is actually accompanying Neils Wittich at the circuit this first race as well?