Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cplchanb
cplchanb

Re: Mercedes W13

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:05
Let's put this to bed now. Straight from the horses mouth:

If Mercedes sidepod concept isn't the way to go, its not a problem to repackage the car into a new shape according to a confident Andrew Shovlin. As he put it "we can fit our car inside a lot of the cars"

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1 ... mp4?tag=14
The real kicker is that if their concept is the way to go everyone else bar maybe AM is screwed since they can't size down.

PlatinumZealot

Williams seem to have an "x" shaped chassis profile too, so they could come over the dark side...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

Has anyone seen a shot of the floor yet? I can't find any photos of it!
197 104 103 7

Henri
Henri

AeroDynamic wrote:
Let's put this to bed now. As some of you were adamant about what was arguably quite obvious.

Straight from the horses mouth:

If Mercedes sidepod concept isn't the way to go, its not a problem to repackage the car into a new shape according to a confident Andrew Shovlin. As he put it "we can fit our car inside a lot of the cars"

Do you have absolute confidence it was the right way to go?

... We're very open minded about things. It isn't our belief that [extreme side pod design] is the fundamental problem, and even if it were, we can make our car bigger. Ultimately, our car can probably fit inside a lot of other cars on the grid. So, that's not a big repackaging exercise. But as I said, we're happy with the development decision we've done.

Seems like they expecting 4th and 5th on qualifying 🙄

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Henri wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:39
AeroDynamic wrote:
Let's put this to bed now. As some of you were adamant about what was arguably quite obvious.

Straight from the horses mouth:

Do you have absolute confidence it was the right way to go?

... We're very open minded about things. It isn't our belief that [extreme side pod design] is the fundamental problem, and even if it were, we can make our car bigger. Ultimately, our car can probably fit inside a lot of other cars on the grid. So, that's not a big repackaging exercise. But as I said, we're happy with the development decision we've done.

Seems like they expecting 4th and 5th on qualifying 🙄
If that's what the car is currently worth then they'll be ok with that. They obviously think the car has enough potential to be the car to beat or they wouldn't be going down this route in the first place.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

tbh I won't be shocked if they are 5th, but there's room for me to be surprised if they genuinely turn out to be there because I think they are fighting for 3-4 with Ferrari at minimum. If not this weekend, certainly within the next 4 of them

hollus

Usual reminder: "Will they qualify 4th?" belongs in the race thread, or in the team thread, but NOT in the car thread. Thank you.
Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:37
https://i.imgur.com/NVPF2Qz.png

This is the official Mercedes W13 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the W13 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

AeroDynamic

hollus wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 21:46
Usual reminder: "Will they qualify 4th?" belongs in the race thread, or in the team thread, but NOT in the car thread. Thank you.
Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:37
https://i.imgur.com/NVPF2Qz.png

This is the official Mercedes W13 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the W13 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team thread.
Can you move these posts to the appropriate thread?

motorsport.com
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 17 Mar 2022, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.

hollus

Nope. The worst offenders get deleted (wasting the poster's effort and the mod's effort), and others stay, messy as they are. It is a gray blurry line, we are not mind readers, and it is a maaaaasive amount of work to pick single posts from (so many) threads to their right place. Onus has to be on the posters to show some sense of location.
No, it is not a perfect solution, but we will not be judging and relocating all and each of the several hundred posts everyday which often have several interlinked and ambivalent messages.

We aim for good, not perfect, pure simple survival strategy. (And remind people regularly of what perfect would look like).
Rivals, not enemies.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

We don't have a single pic about scrutineering and the new floor?

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Jozsusz wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 22:23
We don't have a single pic about scrutineering and the new floor?
I think they are hiding it.
We will only see in FP1

AeroDynamic

If they run it tomorrow.

F1's show and tell is after FP1?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Are people expecting a totally new floor so soon?

It's only been 5 days since testing finished, so it would be very impressive if they managed to design and manufacture a new floor for both cars.

Maybe they have just modified the floors that they were expecting to use for the first race, and are still gathering data to design a more comprehensive solution that will solve the problems without compromising performance.

Tbh I hope they do have totally new floor already that will be a silver bullet solving the porpoising issue.

chrisc90

I cant see a new floor being shipped in. Not enough time unless it was in progress prior to the test sessions

dans79

Marty_Y wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 23:34
Are people expecting a totally new floor so soon?

It's only been 5 days since testing finished, so it would be very impressive if they managed to design and manufacture a new floor for both cars.

Maybe they have just modified the floors that they were expecting to use for the first race, and are still gathering data to design a more comprehensive solution that will solve the problems without compromising performance.

Tbh I hope they do have totally new floor already that will be a silver bullet solving the porpoising issue.
It was mentioned by Mercedes during Bahrain testing that they work working on a new/updates/modified (I can't remember the exact verbiage), and that they hoped to have it in time for the race!

If its a completely new floor, it would have to be based on what they learned in Barcelona. IF it's a modified floor with some bits cut away and other bonded on then its possibly based on what they learned Bahrain.

But need to see it to be able to tell one way or another.
197 104 103 7