Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB18

Both cars have the new rear suspension parts already bolted on. Horner said they already tested it on the last day of testing and it works as supposed.

AeroDynamic

Sieper

That upper side impact protection tube is sitting quite low. One would almost think it is in the air flow (Ofcourse is not).

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

There was a rumor that RB backed off from Merc legality claims because they worry about their own future upgrades package.

In this picture, i feel like there is some foreshadowing of what RB might do and how that might be "not in the spirit".

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:28
There was a rumor that RB backed off from Merc legality claims because they worry about their own future upgrades package.

In this picture, i feel like there is some foreshadowing of what RB might do and how that might be "not in the spirit".
What legality claims? any source?

chrisc90

lio007

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:43
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 0Issue.pdf

Anyone know what that means?
Maybe an R&D-Test-Gearbox?

teemah
teemah

Is it just me or are the side pods much larger than the air intake and radiators, to the eye they seem as slim as Mercedes. Definitely seems to offer substantial room for future development in this area.

organic

teemah wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 23:09
Is it just me or are the side pods much larger than the air intake and radiators, to the eye they seem as slim as Mercedes. Definitely seems to offer substantial room for future development in this area.
Frankly most teams' sidepods are not as slim as they could be with the chosen packaging solution. Choosing a body shape that isn't shrink-wrapped to internals may be advantageous this regulation

teemah
teemah

organic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 23:14
teemah wrote:
Frankly most teams' sidepods are not as slim as they could be with the chosen packaging solution. Choosing a body shape that isn't shrink-wrapped to internals may be advantageous this regulation
Thank you, point taken. Still I am surprised at the disparity in size. Possibly Newey is keeping his options open, looking at the image he definitely could remodel/slim the side pods substantially.

MtthsMlw

lio007 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 23:02
chrisc90 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:43
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 0Issue.pdf

Anyone know what that means?
Maybe an R&D-Test-Gearbox?
I think that's likely, you can do that 4 times but only during FP1 and/or FP2

Stu

teemah wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 23:33
organic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 23:14
teemah wrote:

Thank you, point taken. Still I am surprised at the disparity in size. Possibly Newey is keeping his options open, looking at the image he definitely could remodel/slim the side pods substantially.
If they want to…?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

carisi2k

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:28

I wouldn't believe that at all and is probably just rabble rousing by that journalist. Red Bull have unusually opened up quite a lot of their car for camera's to see and nothing looks out of the ordinary. That impact structure is round in profile and looks at the correct height when you consider that Red Bull actually has a sidepod unlike a certain other team.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Still, verstappen spoke of planned upgrades, the sidepod somehow feels like "not the final" sidepod and as i wrote before, my guess is that they keep some upgrades in their sleeve for an occasion it might be necessary. If they have something they know could be contested and might have a risk of a short lifetime, they'd introduce it at a moment of need. Their pace is good and the car is balanced, so no real need right now to take risks.

LM10
LM10