2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

pantherxxx wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 03:41
ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 03:10
Ferrari is killing Merc under acceleration. The W13 seems good under braking and some portions of the corner. But it just moves more sluggish on exit and high speed corners.
Mercedes is not even porpoising that more than Ferrari. They're just simply slower.
They’re slower because they had to compromise the ride height to cure the porpoising (not even solved fully), which in turn nuked the performance.

zibby43

If all the drivers across all teams would have hooked up their ultimate laps, Merc would've been much closer.

RBR and Ferrari better make hay while they can.

Merc isn't nearly as far away as I suspected, especially if Aston's figures about porpoising are true.

Marty_Y

zibby43 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 04:01
If all the drivers across all teams would have hooked up their ultimate laps, Merc would've been much closer.

RBR and Ferrari better make hay while they can.

Merc isn't nearly as far away as I suspected, especially if Aston's figures about porpoising are true.

https://preview.redd.it/y7cc2vxd6fo81.j ... 93b998497c
Good information, thanks zibby. If they could do that with a heavily compromised car just imagine how fast it will be when it's operating properly.

Sevach

zibby43 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 03:58
pantherxxx wrote:
ringo wrote:

Ferrari is killing Merc under acceleration. The W13 seems good under braking and some portions of the corner. But it just moves more sluggish on exit and high speed corners.
Mercedes is not even porpoising that more than Ferrari. They're just simply slower.
They’re slower because they had to compromise the ride height to cure the porpoising (not even solved fully), which in turn nuked the performance.
You guys are sticking by this "it's gonna be awesome soon", i think it's just bad, it's not particularly fast anywhere.

PlatinumZealot

Leclerc only won on the last corner. The RedBull is fundamentally faster everywhere especially on the straights. I'm not sure how Max lost on the last corner but I'm guessing his tyres faded more than Charles'.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone

Sevach wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
You guys are sticking by this "it's gonna be awesome soon", i think it's just bad, it's not particularly fast anywhere.
On top of it a result obtained by taking the best sectors of the car while not considering any of the errors from the other cars, because they happened on their best attempts.

As if Ham wasn’t driving the hell out of that car and dragged it there against its will Alonso style, he starts 5th too.

At some point merc will catch up probably but the other teams won’t stand still and will spend some of the capped budget on refinements and improvements to the car.

dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:Leclerc only won on the last corner. The RedBull is fundamentally faster everywhere especially on the straights. I'm not sure how Max lost on the last corner but I'm guessing his tyres faded more than Charles'.

I think you must have watched a different video.

dialtone

Actually, it's funny that you say RBR is faster everywhere, after T3 RBR is 0.24s ahead in that video, by entry of T4 it's 0.174 ahead and finishes the lap 0.123 behind, but somehow it's faster everywhere? ha :)

langedweil

Thanx !!
The 1.5s slower on a not-so-short track is awesome .. they're still like tanks in slow corners, but I bet by the end of the season the cars will be quicker than 2021
HuggaWugga !

JPower

dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 04:18
Sevach wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

On top of it a result obtained by taking the best sectors of the car while not considering any of the errors from the other cars, because they happened on their best attempts.

As if Ham wasn’t driving the hell out of that car and dragged it there against its will Alonso style, he starts 5th too.

At some point merc will catch up probably but the other teams won’t stand still and will spend some of the capped budget on refinements and improvements to the car.
Yeah, its not like Red Bull and Ferrari don't have some optimization planned themselves. The RB is still overweight and Ferrari's floor is a compromise solution.

holeindalip

JPower wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 05:00
dialtone wrote:
Sevach wrote: You guys are sticking by this "it's gonna be awesome soon", i think it's just bad, it's not particularly fast anywhere.

Yeah, its not like Red Bull and Ferrari don't have some optimization planned themselves. The RB is still overweight and Ferrari's floor is a compromise solution.
And merc don’t have anything in the pipeline? All of the cars are going to evolve alot over the year.

JPower

holeindalip wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 05:14
JPower wrote:
dialtone wrote:

And merc don’t have anything in the pipeline? All of the cars are going to evolve alot over the year.
Did you read the conversation? It started with people talking about Mercedes' development.

dialtone

holeindalip wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 05:14
JPower wrote:
dialtone wrote:

How can they have much stuff in the pipeline unrelated to porpoising when the car isn't responding like they expected from CFD and wind tunnel? Sure they will have some stuff that was put there from before, but it's been over a month of porpoising and the car not being to its best. You wouldn't take whatever you can and focus them on fixing this ASAP even if it means slowing down the other updates? They know every point counts.

Toto said it clearly with sky that they don't know how long it's going to take, could be they fix it next race or after a couple of months, but they don't have a clear idea of where the problem is, but they will climb back to the top 3.

I sadly can't find the pointer but I've read/watched an interview where Merc says that this issue has made it very hard for them to test anything serious on the car, such as good setup for races or other updates, which would be normal as what they have now isn't really allowing them to push the car properly in full. So I think they probably aren't really working on anything but fixing the problem.

And to be very clear, AFAIK both RedBull and Ferrari took the ride height increase, RedBull I think found the solution with the new suspension, floor and upgrade package, but Ferrari is still running the compromise as well, the new floor to fix porpoising is expected at 4th-5th race. Andy Green calls the Aston Martin a prototype car, and that's just about everyone's status, the development curve will be steep for everyone.

silver

zibby43 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
ringo wrote:

Everybody has gone for a compromise. It's not Mercedes alone.

Watto

Sevach wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 04:13
zibby43 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:

I think Merc can come good. Just I have questioned how long it will take with the current regs. With a clean sheet design there is probably very little they can go back to previous knowledge on how to fix it. Probably as Toto said in the interview in this thread, could be a week could be a few month i think being a brand new design it leaves that all far less certain.