Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Snorked

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

It's only fp2, but the slowest cars in a straight line are all Mercedes powered, is this the one Wazari mentioned rumoured to be having issues with E10 fuel?

Max says Honda made a nice step with the new PU:
According to Verstappen, the new engine has a bit more horsepower. "We have taken a nice step, yes. Although of course you do not know what the competition has done." The Dutchman is happy that there is still cooperation with Honda. "We have a slightly less visible relationship with them, but in the end not much has changed. They are still with us, which is good.

Hoffman900

I think it’s early to say. The rules require three engines to go 23 races without penalty. That’s a looonnng time. I wouldn’t turn it up unless I absolutely had to and I wouldn’t call FP2 in the first race weekend to be one of those situations.

chrisc90

I strongly believe engine penalties should get worse with every subsequent engine you take rather than less. Whats point of making a reliable engine (like honda) when you can get a highly strung merc engine that last 3-4 races at best and take the 5 place grid drop for a fresh PU. makes no sense. Might aswell run it flat out knowing its far better than any other engine on the grid to get you back the positions from the penalty.

Got to say tho...the Honda PU sounds beautiful at low RPMs

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:17
I strongly believe engine penalties should get worse with every subsequent engine you take rather than less. Whats point of making a reliable engine (like honda) when you can get a highly strung merc engine that last 3-4 races at best and take the 5 place grid drop for a fresh PU. makes no sense. Might aswell run it flat out knowing its far better than any other engine on the grid to get you back the positions from the penalty.

I say this as a Honda fan, but the penalties used to be worse until McLaren Honda got hammered by them. They were mainly changed for Honda. I suspect it was kept in place in the hopes of luring other manufactures in.

mrluke

chrisc90 wrote:

Because the Brazil rocket engine was a red herring. Bottas had a new engine every race and never got anywhere near matching the ham/Brazil performance.

As stated the rules were softened for Honda.

Rodak

Bottas had a new engine every race
Really? Wow.

Pany

Well, after what mercedes did in last races with super power engine, winning wcc, i believe we will see different engine usage strategies this year. For example alpine may go for 4 or 5 engines and change them to try to win specific races.... only the top 3 teams will.need point in every race, so try to go for 3 engines only.
Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 22:09
I think it’s early to say. The rules require three engines to go 23 races without penalty. That’s a looonnng time. I wouldn’t turn it up unless I absolutely had to and I wouldn’t call FP2 in the first race weekend to be one of those situations.

Big Tea

Limiting the engines is still not a 'fix-all'. Extra engines come out of the cost cap, their own and that of teams supplied and not happy as the engine does not last, and the strategy of when to take an engine and the state of the engine the race before. I still think teams will plan to follow the rule, but may be more prepared to slip a new one in for a particular advantage or when they feel they may not have a good race anyway.

(not just RBR)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hoffman900

Big Tea wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 13:20
Limiting the engines is still not a 'fix-all'. Extra engines come out of the cost cap, their own and that of teams supplied and not happy as the engine does not last, and the strategy of when to take an engine and the state of the engine the race before. I still think teams will plan to follow the rule, but may be more prepared to slip a new one in for a particular advantage or when they feel they may not have a good race anyway.

(not just RBR)
Agreed, but the point still stands that FP2 of Race 1 is not when teams will be turning them up.

The downside to all these cost saving measures is that we only really get to see these engines fully unlocked on very rare occasions. Most of the time they’re trying to squeeze more life out of them.

PhillipM

To be honest we not see any of the engines on full beans for a few races while everyone settles into the running order anyway.

Probably more likely in the midfield if it's as close as it looks, where we won't be able to tell too easily.

KAIZEN

HONDA RA621H
This is an image to be viewed from a new angle.
Since development is frozen, there is no problem even if you show it. Asaki said.

It is a gift for Honda F1 fans all over the world.

ryaan2904

KAIZEN wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 00:04
HONDA RA621H
This is an image to be viewed from a new angle.
Since development is frozen, there is no problem even if you show it. Asaki said.

https://i.imgur.com/cjIV72f.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/5chstVQ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/GFb3rLU.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/2yFz7ks.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/iHtQBCR.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KbVF7WS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Y87BpsL.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/1ywOL3u.jpeg

It is a gift for Honda F1 fans all over the world.
Great images! Hope Ferrari & Alpine can do this too later on
CFD Eyes of Sauron

mzso

chrisc90 wrote:

This year with (hopefully) better overtaking ability and with the example of last year, it may become a popular decision.

restless

3 engine failures in first race.
deja vu :(

djones

I think it might just be 2 failures (of the actual engine), but yeah that is not good for them at all.

And as it was so close to the end they also put full wear on all components for nothing in return.