Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: Ferrari F1-75

LostInTranslation wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 16:11
But my question is another: was it just me who saw, through the onboard cameras, that the front wing of the RBR and MB flex significantly as the speed progresses?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do this year's rules say about wings stiffness?
As does the Ferrari wing.
viewtopic.php?p=1044613#p1044613

Check the tech regulations 3.15 page 41, there's various tests for the FW (flaps)
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -02-18.pdf

Henri
Henri

This is insane in heddah they.ll run the engine at full beans at bahrain it was gear 4 not 5.. Ferrari was playing with redbull.. i.m guessing the engine is just as strong as the beast from 2019 😁

dialtone
dialtone

Henri wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 18:22

This is insane in heddah they.ll run the engine at full beans at bahrain it was gear 4 not 5.. Ferrari was playing with redbull.. i.m guessing the engine is just as strong as the beast from 2019 😁
That they had more in the engine you could see from the fastest lap in the race for VER and LEC. LEC did it while still harvesting and being in the same mode.

hollus

Lots of new people and many understandably excited, so a gentle reminder, from the first post of the thread:
Thunder wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2022, 12:35
https://i.imgur.com/jH6hF66.png

This is the official Ferrari F1-75 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the F1-75 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team thread.
How Leclerc drove, a particular slowdown in a particular corner to get back, or in general if Ferrari is ahead or behind of team X, belongs either in the race thread, in the team thread or in a dedicated thread. Also who works in a team belongs in the team thread.
But in this car thread, keep it about the car, not about how fast the car was last race. Thanks in advance.

P.S. some posts that went too personal have been deleted.
Rivals, not enemies.

Mara Nello
Mara Nello

If that is true, it would really be a good advantage. Especially regarding those rumors/comments/speculations (again, we don't know if all of these engine speculations are true) that Merc have lost power over all and RB might have cooked their engines in Bahrain while fighting...

But by watching the way Ferrari was testing, collecting data, no big changes, and all of that, one could think, they have also some tenths down in their chassis left ;-).

One thing we know for sure, Ferrari has done a good job =D>

hollus

Several off topics have been removed. Please, 1994? 2000?
Read the first post of the car threads, thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

RZS10 wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 17:18
But my question is another: was it just me who saw, through the onboard cameras, that the front wing of the RBR and MB flex significantly as the speed progresses?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do this year's rules say about wings stiffness?

Check the tech regulations 3.15 page 41, there's various tests for the FW (flaps)
You did well. Those images confirm my impression. The red dotted lines (the starting point of a wing) and the blue ones (the inflection point at high speed) are right and true for RB and MB, much less so for SF. It doesn't take the eyes of an eagle to notice.

As for the regs, thank you for posting it. Seems quite long for tonight to me, I'll read it tomorrow.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

22 Mar 2022, 21:23

You did well. Those images confirm my impression. The red dotted lines (the starting point of a wing) and the blue ones (the inflection point at high speed) are right and true for RB and MB, much less so for SF. It doesn't take the eyes of an eagle to notice.

As for the regs, thank you for posting it. Seems quite long for tonight to me, I'll read it tomorrow.
The width and AoA of the adjustable parts with play a role in how much each one flexes. The ferraris adjustable section is not as wide, and also runs less AoA thats the mercs.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Mchamilton wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 21:27

The width and AoA of the adjustable parts with play a role in how much each one flexes. The ferraris adjustable section is not as wide, and also runs less AoA thats the mercs.
You're right. And this perhaps confirms that Ferrari needs less load in the front wing (downforce). Also because probably large sidepods provide for this, they do the same job, as well as repair and hide the rear wheels from the drag.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

22 Mar 2022, 21:41
Mchamilton wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 21:27

You're right. And this perhaps confirms that Ferrari needs less load in the front wing (downforce). Also because probably large sidepods provide for this, they do the same job, as well as repair and hide the rear wheels from the drag.
The ferrari is much more uniformly loaded across its entire width, where as the mercedes is heavily loaded in the centre and backed off inboard and outboard.

matteosc
matteosc

From what I read, they will keep the same engine "mode" next race and increase progressively in the following ones. They should also introduce a new specification with the next engine (in race 4-5, so earlier than normal) with changes for reliability purposes that will allow for more power.

I do not think they were "playing", they just used a more conservative mode to improve reliability.

Also, please remember that the engine settings are fixed for qualifying and racing, so they cannot just "turn it up" for a single lap. Exception is of course the electric energy recharging/deploying strategy, which they can change at any time.

wowgr8
wowgr8

matteosc wrote: ↑
22 Mar 2022, 22:39
They should also introduce a new specification with the next engine (in race 4-5, so earlier than normal) with changes for reliability purposes that will allow for more power.
Where'd you read this?

Sevach
Sevach

According to the rumour it's not gonna be full beans just yet, but tuned up nonetheless.

vorticism

Lower arm has the diagonal member rearward. Is that noteworthy?

The VIM chamber and the curving runners below it look similar to last year. Would this be enough to suggest they've haven't majorly re-arranged the compressor location? These photos also show how much higher the gearbox is relative to the engine, this year.

2021 engine:

2022 engine:

Mod edit: politics removed
Last edited by vorticism on 23 Mar 2022, 03:50, edited 2 times in total.
π“„€

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is there anything unique about the Ferrari rear suspension this season?