W Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
izzy

Re: W Series, Juju Noda is in

Juju has made it, in spite of not having a stellar test. Being only 16 perhaps, and they did say they were going to analyse other data beside laptimes. Hopefully she can rediscover her 'prodigy' form.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/22/w-s ... juju-noda/

Stu

izzy wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:38
Juju has made it, in spite of not having a stellar test. Being only 16 perhaps, and they did say they were going to analyse other data beside laptimes. Hopefully she can rediscover her 'prodigy' form.

I’m looking forward to a W-series competitor/winner getting a full-time F1 drive. The talent is out there!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

izzy

Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 22:10
izzy wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:38

I’m looking forward to a W-series competitor/winner getting a full-time F1 drive. The talent is out there!!
Yes it'll be an epic moment when it comes! The first one will have to be really extraordinary I think, with the whole driver thing being so manly for a lot of fans :lol: . But WSeries is paving the way isn't it, doing a great job and on the F1 weekends.

Mogster

We haven’t seen a woman that can run reliably in the top 10 of a decently competitive national F3 series. I’m not sure we’ve seen that at F4 level either tbh.

Realistically the first goal is finding a woman that can run top 10 reliably in FIA F3. That would be a start and would make people take notice.

Abby Pulling looked handy in her few outings last year. Hopefully she can build on those performances. Generally the field as a whole seems to struggle with consistency, that seems to have been a theme for the first 2 seasons.

F1NAC

Re: W Series

W series is ending its season due to lack of funding. They are focusin on next year and beyond.

Chadwick once again, champion.

chrisc90

Pretty bad they cant get the funding for it really. Surely there must be some avenues they can get money from. Always good to see them race.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 19:50
Pretty bad they cant get the funding for it really. Surely there must be some avenues they can get money from. Always good to see them race.
Just like the WNBA. If no one is interested in the product, no one will buy it.

Artificial life support for any sport that cannot self sustain is an exercise in ridiculousness.

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 20:50
chrisc90 wrote:
Artificial life support for any sport that cannot self sustain is an exercise in ridiculousness.
That'd be true if there wasn't an motive behind it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

That assumes that people have access to it in the first place. It's on Sky this year which means it's nicely tucked away behind a pay wall. That's a killer for any new sporting enterprise.

The big issue with W series is that it was just women racing each other. Not helpful in promoting female drivers in to the upper echelons of the male-dominated senior formulae.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 21:39
Zynerji wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Yes. Virtue signaling in this manner is even worse.🙄

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 21:56
Zynerji wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

That assumes that people have access to it in the first place. It's on Sky this year which means it's nicely tucked away behind a pay wall. That's a killer for any new sporting enterprise.

The big issue with W series is that it was just women racing each other. Not helpful in promoting female drivers in to the upper echelons of the male-dominated senior formulae.
The big issue is that the current cars are uninspiring, slow, and spec. There's just no novelty to it that draws attention beyond the sex of the driver. Now, if they could find a marketable angle (HULU series?), and have some drama (4 teams of 3 drivers, teams change somehow) and maybe some pressure (drivers determine all setup changes). Then they could pack seats (home and track), sell ads, sell livery, and support decent sized travel teams.

Heck. Maybe ask McLaren to build some 2008 MP4-23 clones (GP2 tyres, Ceramic brakes) and run with some Ford Racing 3.5L Ecoboost v6tt engines (600ish HP).

FIA, HULU, Ford, McLaren, Oil sponsor, Tyre sponsor and free grandstand tickets.

I could manage that to the gold🤣

wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 01:17
wesley123 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
I'm sorry, but how does giving women, who are underrepresented in the sport, a platform make it even worse?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 11:39
Zynerji wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 01:17
wesley123 wrote:

I'm sorry, but how does giving women, who are underrepresented in the sport, a platform make it even worse?
What value does it have to the audience?

If it had actual marketable value, it simply wouldn't require subsidies.

Are you saying it is the fans fault that no one wants to watch/pay for it? Are they bigots for not understanding? 🤔

Throwing table scraps to a dog is fine. I feel humans deserve a bit better.

I would LOVE the chance to work for The W. I am married with 4 daughters. This would be a passion for me. My house is all about girl-power.

Sadly, this series is not. It's not about girl-power at all when the boys have to pay for it just to exist. 😪

It's never been a boot strap. It's always just been an inexpensive appeasement to the media to shut them up about no female drivers in F1.

And that belittles every lady involved.🤬

piast9

Just_a_fan wrote:
(...)
Why do most people assume that the goal is to promote female drivers in the male-dominated senior formulae? Is it even possible? Physical strength and endurance are quite essential in racing. Nobody suggests female athletes should compete with male in 100 m sprint for example. Which only makes me have all the more respect for drivers like Michèle Mouton or Danica Patrick who have achieved success in their respective racing categories.

Jolle

piast9 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 22:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
(...)
Why do most people assume that the goal is to promote female drivers in the male-dominated senior formulae? Is it even possible? Physical strength and endurance are quite essential in racing. Nobody suggests female athletes should compete with male in 100 m sprint for example. Which only makes me have all the more respect for drivers like Michèle Mouton or Danica Patrick who have achieved success in their respective racing categories.
Racing is more then formula one. In other racing series there are enough almost senior gentlemen competing or “not very in shape” guys. Stamina and strength are a factor but not a dominant one. Next to talent, money and sponsors are maybe even more important. Good chance there is still a huge gap because “the world” thinks that racing is not for women.