FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
diffuser

Re: FIA Thread

izzy wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:35
diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:12
izzy wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 14:39

I don't know why this complete nonsense keeps on persisting :? . Masi originally said "Lapped cars will not be unlapped" IN ORDER to finish under green. Because this would save a lap of SC, under the rules. Therefore, he could finish the season under green. :idea:

Of course FIA/F1 like this myth to keep going, cos it helps stop people asking why he changed it, after 3 mystery minutes. It wasn't to finish under green. We know this because he initially stopped cars from unlapping, in order to save a lap of SC and so, hence, thus, finish under green =D>
So you're saying Masi didn't act in good faith?

You have 2 choices.

1- He acted in good faith and screwed up.
2- He didn't act in good faith and was implicit in choosing the winner of the race & Championship.
His bosses called him. Same bosses for the stewards too and same markers for the inquiry homework 🤫

MOD EDIT: Removal of fanboy-ism troll bait
Doesn't matter why he did it, that's still means he didn't act in good faith.

I have issues with the idea of him being told to do it. It assumes that there was a way to contact him that wouldn't get broadcast to everyone or that someone wouldn't notice. It would also have taken a conversation, in a very short time, that would have been able to apply a large amount of pressure. I'm sure a "Psst, let Max win!" wouldn't have been enough to make him cheat. At that very critical point in the race, the eyes on him at the track were everywhere. I doudt that it was planned, cause how could they have known that Latifi was gonna crash when he did. I also don't see the upside for Masi for having preplanned this with RBR for example. Prety sure that he was smart enough to know this wouldn't fair well for his F1 future. At any rate, him getting fired, assures that his replacements will act in good faith next time.

izzy

diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:56
izzy wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:35
diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:12

So you're saying Masi didn't act in good faith?

You have 2 choices.

1- He acted in good faith and screwed up.
2- He didn't act in good faith and was implicit in choosing the winner of the race & Championship.
His bosses called him. Same bosses for the stewards too and same markers for the inquiry homework 🤫

MOD EDIT: Removal of fanboy-ism troll bait
Doesn't matter why he did it, that's still means he didn't act in good faith.

I have issues with the idea of him being told to do it. It assumes that there was a way to contact him that wouldn't get broadcast to everyone or that someone wouldn't notice. It would also have taken a conversation, in a very short time, that would have been able to apply a large amount of pressure. I'm sure a "Psst, let Max win!" wouldn't have been enough to make him cheat. At that very critical point in the race, the eyes on him at the track were everywhere. I doudt that it was planned, cause how could they have known that Latifi was gonna crash when he did. I also don't see the upside for Masi for having preplanned this with RBR for example. Prety sure that he was smart enough to know this wouldn't fair well for his F1 future. At any rate, him getting fired, assures that his replacements will act in good faith next time.
Yes it could only have occurred to them in that last 3 minutes couldn't it, and that's why it was so rushed. But daddy bear just had to call him after all, literally on his phone, on voice, secretly, leaving no trace 🤐

Then Michael isn't the see strongest character, and in the moment it probably didn't seem so bad. Max had been leading all year etc etc

izzy

And there's only one motive in play: the new fans F1 have been celebrating with having a new WDC who's younger and generally has different appeal from Lewis.

dans79

diffuser wrote:
Simply put, I think Masi was to weak of an individual to be RD, and that got taken advantage of.
197 104 103 7

diffuser

dans79 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:57
diffuser wrote:
Simply put, I think Masi was to weak of an individual to be RD, and that got taken advantage of.
If my boss told me to do something that resulted in me getting fired, you'd hear about. I'd be screaming bloody murder.

Think GrizzleBoy's theory that Masi let himself get played by RBR or he just didn't realise what results his actions were causing are more realistic. In either case, I agree with Grizzleboy & dans79, he was not fit to do the job alone. I still think you need 3 people cause if it comes to a vote, you need a tie breaker.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:01
dans79 wrote:
diffuser wrote:
If my boss told me to do something that resulted in me getting fired, you'd hear about. I'd be screaming bloody murder.

Think GrizzleBoy's theory that Masi let himself get played by RBR or he just didn't realise what results his actions were causing are more realistic. In either case, I agree with Grizzleboy & dans79, he was not fit to do the job alone. I still think you need 3 people cause if it comes to a vote, you need a tie breaker.
And you need a disconnect from contact from the teams. Decisions should be issued not discussed
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:06
diffuser wrote:
dans79 wrote:

And you need a disconnect from contact from the teams. Decisions should be issued not discussed
I think one person is more than capable of doing the job, charlie did it for years. Masi was just not strong enough to set boundaries. On numerous occasions throughout the season all he really needed to say is "I'm busy, I will contact you when I have time!" If a team member continued to press, I'd remind them several rules exist that they are now potentially violating.
197 104 103 7

diffuser

dans79 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:14
Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I think one person is more than capable of doing the job, charlie did it for years. Masi was just not strong enough to set boundaries. On numerous occasions throughout the season all he really needed to say is "I'm busy, I will contact you when I have time!" If a team member continued to press, I'd remind them several rules exist that they are now potentially violating.

It's more expensive to bribe 3 people than it is to bribe 1. It's also harder for 3 people to keep 1 secret.

Stu

Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:
dans79 wrote:

THIS!! ^^
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 10:51
Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:

THIS!! ^^
Agreed.

I'm interested to see how the new "police your own naughtiness" rules regarding giving back places taken by potentially unfair means will play out, however. I think they're going to have to come down hard early on with the stewards penalising anything obvious and probably most marginal ones too. Otherwise, the drivers and teams will take a chance and hope that they can get away with it. As the season goes on, more chances will be taken until someone gets bitten by a penalty, there'll be an outcry, and we're back to the FIA looking incompetent again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 11:44
Stu wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

THIS!! ^^
Agreed.

I'm interested to see how the new "police your own naughtiness" rules regarding giving back places taken by potentially unfair means will play out, however. I think they're going to have to come down hard early on with the stewards penalising anything obvious and probably most marginal ones too. Otherwise, the drivers and teams will take a chance and hope that they can get away with it. As the season goes on, more chances will be taken until someone gets bitten by a penalty, there'll be an outcry, and we're back to the FIA looking incompetent again.
Three corners to rectify, then a penalty.

The drivers are not stupid, they know what they are doing. Just like in Sakhir, last week, they all kept a wheel on the track. 😁
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 11:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 11:44
Stu wrote:

THIS!! ^^
Agreed.

Three corners to rectify, then a penalty.

The drivers are not stupid, they know what they are doing. Just like in Sakhir, last week, they all kept a wheel on the track. 😁
Of course they know, but they'll push for an advantage where ever they can. It needs early enforcement to get the message across - "we're not messing around here, gentlemen".

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out, especially as the season goes on and points become ever more important.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/dams ... e/9716560/

DAMS boss Sicard set for new FIA F1 role

The FIA has chosen DAMS managing director Francois Sicard to fill a role equivalent to that of a Formula 1 sporting director, Motorsport.com has learned.

The conclusions of the FIA report into last year's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix safety car controversy noted that "a new F1 sporting director will be recruited (process finalised)".

Sicard will fill that role, although his definitive title and full job description have yet to be determined.

The sporting director title was previously one of several held by Michael Masi but the job has now been repositioned between FIA single-seater department head Peter Bayer and the organisation's key F1 players, including new race directors Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas.

Sicard's tasks are expected to include overseeing the development of the sporting regulations, along with liaising with the F1 organisation on matters such as the calendar and circuit licensing.

As well as F1, Sicard is expected to oversee FIA-run single-seater categories F2, F3, F4 and Formula Regional.
The Power of Dreams!

wogx

BBC: F1 bosses are seriously considering whether they need FIA involvement in Formula One and are looking at ways to opt out of working with the FIA. #F1PL

Conflict over jewellery may have a second bottom and serious consequences

Usually well-informed on such matters, the BBC has added its three cents on the jewellery issue, pointing out that the seemingly trivial conflict may have a second side. Reports from before the round in Miami suggest that there may be much, much more going on behind the scenes.

As well as describing the situation, Andrew Benson's report also offered a surprising and political explanation for the affair. The race director, Niels Wittich, is described there as a mere intermediary of the FIA president, Mohammed Ben Sulayem, who is supposed to try to put pressure on the teams by means of security.

The reasons for this confusion are said to relate to the sprints, which were recently blocked by the Federation. Officially this is due to a desire to look at resource issues during such weekends, and unofficially due to a desire for extra money, which the teams have seen as just plain greed.

Teams and F1 officials are also said to be expressing growing dissatisfaction with the governing body's actions in recent months. In Miami itself, drivers have objected to officials not only over the jewellery issue, but have also criticised them for failing to respond to Carlos Sainz's seemingly sensitive accident, which was repeated with Esteban Ocon with similar consequences.

The BBC has even learned from several sources that, because of the growing tensions, the series' management has begun to actively question the necessity of the FIA's presence in the queen of motorsport, looking for ways to break away from the Federation, which receives money mainly from F1.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://parcfer.me/f1/konflikt-ws-bizut ... nsekwencje
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Wow. I really dont think thats the correct way to go dumping the FIA. Given what the FIA have done over the years in track safety, research into driver safety etc etc. I think it would be a wrong turn to sack them off.

The Jewellery thing is bang to rights, and the logic reasoning it are absolutely spot on. Its just 1 or 2 drivers (and teams) that are taking it too far by saying things like drivers should be diverse in what they can be allowed to wear inside the car.

The sprints are boring IMHO, I've no idea why FOM is pushing for more. A few a year is alright (which could rotate round tracks as the season go so every track sees a 'sprint'). Im sure there are far greater ways which could make a weekend more interesting for the viewers than a extra 20minute race.