Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari F1-75

LM10 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:12
GrrG wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 12:12
Ferrari's 2022 power unit.

Strange that Ferrari is OK with presenting the PU in it's naked entirety.
They don't have a choice. I don't think you are allowed to block the garages anymore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 20:37
GrrG wrote:

If it is split turbo, I was trying to make sense of why the airbox is so far back. Also, why there seems to be no plenum elbow ahead of the engine, where you might expect the compressor inlet to be. Maybe they've flipped the compressor around. They have many seasons of experience running the inlet over the compressor shaft.

https://i.imgur.com/rzpiB1f.jpg

Another explanation is that it is not split turbo, the compressor is still at the back, and the intercooler position might have been changed.
This intercooler layout is nice. They can lay the intercooler down on the floor and lower the CG.

JPower
JPower

Interesting.

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 00:16
vorticism wrote:
If it is split turbo, I was trying to make sense of why the airbox is so far back. Also, why there seems to be no plenum elbow ahead of the engine, where you might expect the compressor inlet to be. Maybe they've flipped the compressor around. They have many seasons of experience running the inlet over the compressor shaft.

Another explanation is that it is not split turbo, the compressor is still at the back, and the intercooler position might have been changed.
This intercooler layout is nice. They can lay the intercooler down on the floor and lower the CG.
If it turns out to not be split turbo, then the next question is, why do the plenums run down the front of the engine? So in either case it's looking like maybe the intercooler is now low down in front of the engine. Whereas other years it was higher up. In which case, how would they connect a rear mounted compressor to a low front intercooler? The charge pipe would either be routed thru the vee as in previous years, or run along the crankcase. Maybe even two charge pipes either side of the crankcase, connecting to two individual charge coolers leading to the pipes visible in the photo.
Last edited by vorticism on 25 Mar 2022, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 00:51
AR3-GP wrote:
vorticism wrote:

If it turns out to not be split turbo, then the next question is, why do the plenums run down the front of the engine? So in either case it's looking like maybe the intercooler is now low down in front of the engine. Whereas other years it was higher up. In which case, how would they connect the connect a rear mounted compressor to a low front intercooler? The charge pipe would either be routed thru the vee as in previous years, or run along the crankcase.
This already sounds so complicated that I have to believe it's a split turbo, to avoid answering your questions about the complicated routing.

Andi76
Andi76

vorticism wrote:
GrrG wrote:

Mark Hughes said recently it is not split turbo. Interesting to see whether it is or not. Maybe we will find out soon.

It is reported by scuderiafans that Ferrari uses smaller rear break discs to save weight:

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-f1-75-ferra ... ar-weight/

_cerber1

Front and rear
ImageImage

Andi76
Andi76

TNTHead wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:02
LM10 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:12
GrrG wrote:

Strange that Ferrari is OK with presenting the PU in it's naked entirety.
Isn't it true that development of the current (ICE part of the) PU's are frozen, so it doesn't matter anymore?
As far as i remember the engine freeze has two homologation deadlines. March 1st and Septembre 1st.

In March the manufacturers had to freeze the ICE, turbo, MGU-H, exhaust system, fuel specification and the engine oil specification.

Untill Septembre they still can make changes to MGU-K, control electronics and engine-store/battery.

Stu

vorticism wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 00:51
AR3-GP wrote:
vorticism wrote:

If it turns out to not be split turbo, then the next question is, why do the plenums run down the front of the engine? So in either case it's looking like maybe the intercooler is now low down in front of the engine. Whereas other years it was higher up. In which case, how would they connect a rear mounted compressor to a low front intercooler? The charge pipe would either be routed thru the vee as in previous years, or run along the crankcase. Maybe even two charge pipes either side of the crankcase, connecting to two individual charge coolers leading to the pipes visible in the photo.
I was just thinking the same thing, a pair of longitudinal charge coolers would work.
Another alternative is a a ‘semi-split’ turbo with the compressor inside the V. This would compromise the diameter, but if they are using an axial compressor; as opposed to the more conventional radial type, it could work. It still looks as though the oil tank is mounted directly to the front of the engine (visible behind the air pipes).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jagunx51

............!!!!

GrrG

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66

Well at least he got it eventually :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 18:46
Well at least he got it eventually :mrgreen:
Better late than never, I would say. Read the comments below that post (I cheer strangely on the elegant opinion of a certain RJ) ... but maybe I'm a little bit biased. =D>
Last edited by LostInTranslation on 25 Mar 2022, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

WHY FERRARI’S PUZZLING SIDEPODS....
You can still sense a bit of face saving here :lol:

Ferrari sidepods aren't puzzling anymore than Mercedes or RB.