Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Mercedes W13

Seems like no updates this weekend..

atanatizante

There is a sensor or more probably a video camera there, so bearing in mind they didn`t bring any update the rumours must be true after all: they are still investigating and gathering data regarding proposing!

I think it`s very wise to do so, bearing in mind they are in no man's land and have no pressure from the midfield teams down below them ...

Last edited by atanatizante on 08 Apr 2022, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

According to Ted Kravitz - Sky Sports F1 - in FP1 RUS is testing the Jeddah RW spec and HAM the Bahrein one and at least in HAM`s case is 10-12km/h slower than VER & PER, but on the same speed trap levels of LEC & SAI ...
Jesus

atanatizante

Look at the steering wheel wobbles! I think this is madness and truly dangerous to drive this car!
How on Earth can he handle it???

In addition, Paul di Resta said on Sky Sports F1 that another reason they must raise the ride height for a few millimetres is for not wearing too much of the car's wood plank and also for a general obvious reason at this stage of the championship: car`s reliability ...
Jesus

Andi76
Andi76

atanatizante wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:45
According to Ted Kravitz - Sky Sports F1 - in FP1 RUS is testing the Jeddah RW spec and HAM the Bahrein one and at least in HAM`s case is 10-12km/h slower than VER & PER, but on the same speed trap levels of LEC & SAI ...
Mercedes in general is slower than Ferrari and Red Bull :

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/22/mer ... nit-wolff/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t ... 20going%22.

The may be the one or other speed trap where they can match them, but in general they are much slower than both, Red Bull and Ferrari.

Regarding Suspension, Scarbs posted a suspension layout yesterday. Its probably similar to the Red Bulls, but i assume most teams went in a similar direction. The other way around of course in the case of a pullrod rear suspension.

KAIZEN

Ordinary and uninteresting floor.

ringo

The floor is so basic compared to redbull.
For Sure!!

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

They haven't brought any major update here. As Russel said they cannot afford "trial and error" because of cost cap.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 06:41
atanatizante wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:45
Mercedes in general is slower than Ferrari and Red Bull :

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/22/mer ... nit-wolff/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t ... 20going%22.

The may be the one or other speed trap where they can match them, but in general they are much slower than both, Red Bull and Ferrari.

Regarding Suspension, Scarbs posted a suspension layout yesterday. Its probably similar to the Red Bulls, but i assume most teams went in a similar direction. The other way around of course in the case of a pullrod rear suspension.

Mercedes have done a similar suspension concept on their F1 derived project 1 hypercar. So it's very likely Mercedes are aware of how to implement such a suspension in the W13. I have not seen any good photos yet.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

atanatizante wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 06:34
Look at the steering wheel wobbles! I think this is madness and truly dangerous to drive this car!

In addition, Paul di Resta said on Sky Sports F1 that another reason they must raise the ride height for a few millimetres is for not wearing too much of the car's wood plank and also for a general obvious reason at this stage of the championship: car`s reliability ...
yeh man, this looks really dangerous.

I really kinda get the feeling that they just build a bad car on many aspects.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

KAIZEN wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 06:44
Ordinary and uninteresting floor.

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/wp-content/u ... _w13_5.jpg
Compared to the Red Bull's floor and strakes, this is like a child's version. I'm quite surprised.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Lefty8
Lefty8

There's more going on with the W13 than just porpoising. The wheel wobble on the straight suggest the tunnels are choking/stalling asymmetrically or there's some harmonic going on that's influencing the suspension.
I also wonder if the stays are sufficient to stabilise the floor and avoid flutter.
Whatever it is they seem very lost running two different spec wings and still out of the top 10 in FP2

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

KiLLu12258 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 10:19
atanatizante wrote:

Didn't a Mercedes engineer said there will be teams that will go in a completely wrong direction !? 🤔
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

El_KaPpa wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 10:39
KiLLu12258 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 10:19
atanatizante wrote:

Didn't a Mercedes engineer said there will be teams that will go in a completely wrong direction !? 🤔
What I find interesting is that the Ferrari is porposing bad but its still very fast. (not as bad as merc)

silver
silver

atanatizante wrote:

Either they have a problem in the steering column or the front is losing all the load making the steering go light or the porpoising is so bad that it's shaking the driver violently and the hands are going unstable on the steering. I first saw that behavior in Bahrain when the car was moving a bit left and right, viewing from the front angle cameras. The same was true with the onboards. This one here is more extreme. Other cars that porpoise, doesn't show such behavior of the steering.