2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

johnny comelately wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 23:31

What do you think went wrong with Marc's start? Pit lane limiter??
at 3.15 onboard start of MM. I couldn't see he is changing gears or doing something. Maybe electronics.

johnny comelately

etusch wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 09:51
johnny comelately wrote:

at 3.15 onboard start of MM. I couldn't see he is changing gears or doing something. Maybe electronics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ea1wRamPw
Thank you.
Unfortuantely there is geofencing on that youtube, but I will rewatch it on the streaming service.

AMG.Tzan

johnny comelately wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 22:30
xaero wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 20:49
Seems old Marc is coming back. Somehow his start got messed up (mostly gear change issue ... not sure though) which prevented him from getting involved in podium contention. Great effort though considering recent events.
He could easily have won this one, such a shame...

He was miles faster even after pushing so much to pass all the riders from 24th down to 6th! Nice battle with Quatararo there, I didn't expect Marc to hold on to 6th. After the messed up start I was afraid he was going to crash cause every time he had to come from the back of the field he crashed while pushing too much (Jerez 2020)!

Thankfully he hold his composure and apart from a scare at turn 1 he was back to his old best!

Bastianini looks quite strong and I'm really surprised both from him and the Gresini team! Marc desperately needs a win if he is to join the championship fight but I don't see that coming in Portimao, Jerez or Le Mans! Indonesia in the rain, Argentina and USA were all his best chances for victory... :?

I hope the new Honda can prove me wrong though!!
Marc didn't elaborate on what went wrong exactly but he did say that the bike showed a warning and then it sorted itself out! So apparently it was an electronics issue...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Andres125sx

With the onboard replay of Marquez start it´s pretty obvious there was some problem with the bike. At first try motor rpm fall down, but then he hit the clutch again, and as soon as he release the clutch lever again engine rpm fall down again, and same with a third attempt. No rider, not even amateurs, ruind a start three times in a row, it was an obvious engine/clutch/ECU problem

It was great to see his recover tough, extremelly good pace, not even some huge scare did prevent him from pushing, not even in first race after a huge crash with physical consequences, wich has become Marquez dna, like it or not

etusch

Alarm made Marquez’s bike “crazy” in disastrous COTA start
Marc Marquez says an alarm made his Honda MotoGP bike “crazy” on the grid and led to his disastrous start at the Americas Grand Prix, which plunged him to last.

Alarm made Marquez’s bike “crazy” in disastrous COTA start
The six-time MotoGP world champion was making his return to action following his double vision-induced Argentina absence at the Circuit of the Americas and was pegged by many of his rivals as a favourite to take victory in Sunday's race even from ninth on the grid.

But a technical issue meant he barely pulled away at the start and was dropped to last by the first corner, by which point his Honda sprung into life.

Marquez admits he thought he had engaged his pit limiter and says the bike still had a problem during the race, but it was good enough for him to charge through to sixth.

"We had a technical problem, but Honda is investigating what's going on," Marquez said on Sunday at COTA.

"They know already more or less, but they are investigating. Since I arrived on the start, I saw some alarms [on the dashboard] and then I tried to start, to not lose a lot, but the bike was crazy.

"And then I thought something big was there, but when I arrived in the first corner… I mean, from the start to the first corner there was no pushing from the bike, it was like pit limiter.

"Even I checked if I put on the pit limiter. But no.

"This alarm kept on all the race, but lucky for us at the first corner when the holeshot was disengaged, the bike works more or less in a good way – not perfect, because there was something there that was still wrong."

The Spaniard added that his grand prix became "a sprint race" from that moment, but his body stopped him from going any higher than sixth.

"I gave everything, and when five, six laps remained my body said 'OK, that's it' and then I just tried to finish the race and even like this I managed to finish in a good pace," he said.

"The result is not what we expected, but if we check how we started, how the first corner was and how we finished, we can say we built and we got a lot of confidence from this weekend.

"My target was to build confidence, try to don't have any crash all weekend because the doctor said to me everything was fixed but I am scared about my health, was a recent impact three weeks ago.

"So, just I ride in a good way and this was the most important thing."

Despite being denied a chance to fight for an eighth COTA victory, Marquez says he is still "satisfied" with the race, but more so the fact that he was able to come back in Texas following his vision problems after his violent Indonesia crash.

"Being here already this weekend was satisfaction and finishing the race in sixth position is also satisfaction," he stated.

"If we check how we started the race, it's true that looks like when you are in the worst moment everything arrives.

"We never had a technical problem during all the years nearly, and today that is when I need more the help we had technical problem.

"But this is something that happens and I keep going, keep pushing.

"I want to say thanks to the team because they helped me a lot, they believed in me, they give me the confidence I need and this is the most important thing."
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... t/9802330/

johnny comelately

I see Carlos Sainz had a similar problem to Marc Marquez where Sainz's anti stall came in at the start in Australia 2022. Some say it was clutch related after a steering wheel change, others dont.
I am not sure if the bikes have anti stall??

etusch

onboard johan mir

sosic2121

Andres125sx wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 13:23
With the onboard replay of Marquez start it´s pretty obvious there was some problem with the bike. At first try motor rpm fall down, but then he hit the clutch again, and as soon as he release the clutch lever again engine rpm fall down again, and same with a third attempt. No rider, not even amateurs, ruind a start three times in a row, it was an obvious engine/clutch/ECU problem

It was great to see his recover tough, extremelly good pace, not even some huge scare did prevent him from pushing, not even in first race after a huge crash with physical consequences, wich has become Marquez dna, like it or not
His mom must have been so proud...

Andres125sx

sosic2121 wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 19:31
Andres125sx wrote:

The mom of a 6 times WDC who never surrender? Not sure if she has some reason to be proud... #-o

xaero

sosic2121 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Any form of motor racing is inherently risky and everyone involved also understands it. Do you really think it is only Mark who is pushing? IMO, this is really insensitive statement. :(
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

sosic2121

xaero wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 08:41
sosic2121 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Any form of motor racing is inherently risky and everyone involved also understands it. Do you really think it is only Mark who is pushing? IMO, this is really insensitive statement. :(
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and IMO Marc is crossing it waaay to often.
Marc is incredibly fast driver, but other than that it's hard to find something positive to say about him(as a driver). He's reckless, his overtaking can sometimes be discribed as dangerous, he fails to learn from his own mistakes and he is not able to play a long game and often taking unnecessary risks like in a race when he br his arm.
IMO his aggressiveness won him some races but also lost him 2-3 season...

xaero

sosic2121 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 11:27
xaero wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

He's reckless, his overtaking can sometimes be discribed as dangerous,
I don't buy this argument. How many times he has put anyone else in danger (obviously there will be few racing incidents but then who has none?)? These arguments are mostly used by bitter Rossi fans just to degrade Mark.
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

silver

sosic2121 wrote:
xaero wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and IMO Marc is crossing it waaay to often.
Marc is incredibly fast driver, but other than that it's hard to find something positive to say about him(as a driver). He's reckless, his overtaking can sometimes be discribed as dangerous, he fails to learn from his own mistakes and he is not able to play a long game and often taking unnecessary risks like in a race when he br his arm.
It's always a package that wins. Most successful riders have had their fair share of regrettable moments. But without them, they wouldn't have won anything. Marquez had one really bad moment out of, what became a natural scene of him, many crashes. Until that point, he failed to win just one season and that was due to an extremely uncompetitive bike. Well, he did manage to dictate to eventual winner. A bad moment like that of his crash in 2020, could have happened to any rider at any point in their career, but it's amazing that he won so many before that unfortunate moment arrived. I don't think he would have won anything if not for everything that he is. I don't consider him to reckless or overtly aggressive. He was just mesmerizingly quick and he won with bikes that so many talented riders, including another multiple world champion failed to master. That would be his legacy.

sosic2121

silver wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 11:55
sosic2121 wrote:
xaero wrote:

It's always a package that wins. Most successful riders have had their fair share of regrettable moments. But without them, they wouldn't have won anything. Marquez had one really bad moment out of, what became a natural scene of him, many crashes. Until that point, he failed to win just one season and that was due to an extremely uncompetitive bike. Well, he did manage to dictate to eventual winner. A bad moment like that of his crash in 2020, could have happened to any rider at any point in their career, but it's amazing that he won so many before that unfortunate moment arrived. I don't think he would have won anything if not for everything that he is. I don't consider him to reckless or overtly aggressive. He was just mesmerizingly quick and he won with bikes that so many talented riders, including another multiple world champion failed to master. That would be his legacy.
No it could not, that's the point. I think you should rewatch that race. What was he trying to achieve there!?

rscsr

sosic2121 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 12:57
silver wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 11:55
sosic2121 wrote:

No it could not, that's the point. I think you should rewatch that race. What was he trying to achieve there!?
That is an error that happens very often. Even on the Moto3 bikes it happens. Especially there it seems that the traction control just gave it all. At least I remember Cal Crutchlow saying something with that gist.