McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mansell89

Re: McLaren MCL36

PhillipM wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 23:16
Mansell89 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:52
Anything on the rumour mill regarding sidepod shapes and philosophies?
Nothing on sidepods I've heard, only floor changes, still some rear brakeduct iterations, weight saving parts.
Thanks very much - interesting to know. I suspect sidepod changes for any team would essentially be like taking on a whole new philosophy, so here’s hoping the floor can bring what we hope for.

Do we know where we are weight wise versus the competition? (IE How much can we lose?) I think Alpine shed 4kg with their new floor this weekend didn’t they and they were very good for most of the weekend.

SmallSoldier

Mansell89 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 00:11
PhillipM wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 23:16
Mansell89 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 15:52
Anything on the rumour mill regarding sidepod shapes and philosophies?
Nothing on sidepods I've heard, only floor changes, still some rear brakeduct iterations, weight saving parts.
Thanks very much - interesting to know. I suspect sidepod changes for any team would essentially be like taking on a whole new philosophy, so here’s hoping the floor can bring what we hope for.

Do we know where we are weight wise versus the competition? (IE How much can we lose?) I think Alpine shed 4kg with their new floor this weekend didn’t they and they were very good for most of the weekend.
There was a discussion by Scarbs about car weights, the only that hasn’t been calculated is McLaren’s… Apparently both Alpine and Alfa Romeo have the lowest weights at 799kg.

It would be expected for the test parts (first iterations) to not be as lightweight since the expectation would be that those will be replaced down the road, once a concept / idea is validated on track, they can proceed to try and make them lighter.

We also need to consider that most of the ideas or upgrades that may have come out after not only understanding the car’s performance in testing, but also after knowing what others have done and how those ideas could be incorporated to the MCL36 won’t see the car for at least a couple months after testing, therefore May would be when most newer ideas / improvements would start coming to the car.

djos

Lando mentioned in the post-race interview with Rosanna Tennant that the MCL36 is still overweight.
"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

djos wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 02:29
Lando mentioned in the post-race interview with Rosanna Tennant that the MCL36 is still overweight.

SmallSoldier

According to Craig (Scarbs), the following are the different car weights… The weights were calculated based on the cars weight after race Parc Ferme and considering fuel left on the cars:

Macklaren

Tami over at AMuS saying that McLaren expected to bring a big update to Barca that hopefully fixes the lack of downforce. Doesn't sound like a fundamental problem (a la Merc, AMR).

Interesting that RBR and Ferrari also have big updates coming though and Ferrari does not believe that Imola is a good track for updates given the lack of FP time due to the Sprint race

SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:16
Tami over at AMuS saying that McLaren expected to bring a big update to Barca that hopefully fixes the lack of downforce. Doesn't sound like a fundamental problem (a la Merc, AMR).

Interesting that RBR and Ferrari also have big updates coming though and Ferrari does not believe that Imola is a good track for updates given the lack of FP time due to the Sprint race
I agree with Ferrari that bringing upgrades to Imola is maybe not the best course of action, not enough time to validate and assess them

_cerber1

Macklaren wrote:

I can't find the tweet, please give me the link.

Lucky

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 06:57
Macklaren wrote:

I can't find the tweet, please give me the link.

M840TR

Macklaren wrote:

Apparently the brakes solution will also be a part of the Spain upgrade.

charliesmithhd

mclaren111

This looks "sideways" instead of front to back ??

godlameroso

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:55
This looks "sideways" instead of front to back ??

https://i.ibb.co/bvJ9QMZ/A5Oog9g.jpg
I knew this would work! :D
godlameroso wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:31
The winglets on the rear wheels, do they move with the alignment of the wheel? If you toe in at the rear, and if the entire aero assembly moves with the wheel alignment, then you are moving the leading edge closer to the diffuser. With toe out, you would be moving the trailing edge closer to the diffuser.

With toe out, you also create stronger jetting vortices from the tire. The wheel furniture, and the alignment of the wheel works together to strengthen the airflow traveling along the side of the diffuser. The closer the wheel winglet is to the car body, the more that area can function like a nozzle.

https://i.imgur.com/dAaSj3T.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/M2I2IXF.jpeg

https://imgur.com/yw0Zq3k.jpeg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMRLxtaXwAM ... name=large
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

What would work?
They haven't done any of that, they extended the lower skirt on the winglet, that's all.
It's not even the final design, they've got more to try.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 18:41
What would work?
They haven't done any of that, they extended the lower skirt on the winglet, that's all.
It's not even the final design, they've got more to try.
"The wheel furniture, and the alignment of the wheel works together to strengthen the airflow traveling along the side of the diffuser. The closer the wheel winglet is to the car body, the more that area can function like a nozzle."

Idk man the winglet is pushing air towards the wall of the diffuser, and the diffuser flares out at its trailing edge, so using the power of logic would the airflow accelerate or decelerate as its squeezed between the winglet and the wall of the diffuser?
Saishū kōnā