Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 08:36
jjn9128 wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 21:38
MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 21:30
The specs sound good
- 250kW front and 350kW rear regen
- 350kW motor (rear)
- no rear brakes
- smaller and lighter than Gen2
Not that any of the tracks they go to will a vmax of 200mph be possible. Also (embarrassingly) lighter than the 2022 F1 car.
Where´s the weight? Can´t find it
Chassis tender document. Total (including driver) is 780kg. F1 2022 will be 792kg.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Andres125sx

Thanks!

I guess the weight reduction comes from the much more powerful regen so they can use a smaller battery

Any official data about the new battery?

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 20:19
Thanks!

I guess the weight reduction comes from the much more powerful regen so they can use a smaller battery

Any official data about the new battery?
No official spec on the car as far as I'm aware. I read something about 40% more regen in race thought!? There's more power but the capacity of the battery will be the same. It's more energy dense.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123

jjn9128 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
The specs sound good
- 350kW motor (rear)
- no rear brakes
Not that any of the tracks they go to will a vmax of 200mph be possible. Also (embarrassingly) lighter than the 2022 F1 car.
Even if it was possible to reach 200mph, why would they? They're just increasingly using more power, and thus available energy to punch a hole in the air.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

nokivasara

Do they have winter testing in FormulaE?

I've decided to give FE one more chance and watch at least the first 2-3 races but it would be nice to know a bit more about the teams and cars.

jjn9128

nokivasara wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 19:15

I've decided to give FE one more chance and watch at least the first 2-3 races but it would be nice to know a bit more about the teams and cars.
Testing finished last week.
#aerogandalf

F1NAC

Maserati is coming as manufacturer from 2023!

CIZUK

nokivasara wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 19:15

A bit belated, I know, but I'd say that next year's Formula E cars will be a whole lot more exciting than this year's. Massive differences in the power to weight ratios and smaller dimensions should make them look much faster and easier to race too, hopefully.
Having said that, these first races have been awesome even with the 4 year old cars.

CIZUK

wesley123 wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 22:42
jjn9128 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
The specs sound good
- 350kW motor (rear)
- no rear brakes
Even if it was possible to reach 200mph, why would they? They're just increasingly using more power, and thus available energy to punch a hole in the air.
I guess they'd use it when they need to overtake, but even then they probably wouldn't hit V-max.

CIZUK

If active aero was used to give downforce in the corners for the Gen 3 car, would it be more efficient due to higher cornering speeds or less efficient due to higher drag?

CMSMJ1

We have had another race weekend just gone.

Zero interest in this series as far as I can see. It is really lame - in all of the meanings of that word.

Perhaps Gen3 cars will be exciting to watch and I cannot doubt that there is a niche for the electric racing.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

vorticism

Conceivably you could take the current F1 cars and remove the engine, fuel tank, decrease or mantain the ES size, add multiple MGUKs or a couple of these FE motors, and add a pantograph and overhead electrical cables. Maybe only on the strainghts and pit lane. That would be a more impressive FE. Sparks from above and below.
𓄀

wogx

Gen3
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

wogx

Design, engineering and production innovations for the Gen3 race car include:

Performance:

- Fastest Formula E car yet with a top speed over 322 kph / 200 mph.
- Most efficient formula racing car ever with more than 40% of the energy used within a race produced by regenerative braking.
- Around 95% power efficiency from an electric motor delivering up to 350kW of power (470BHP), compared to approximately 40% for an internal combustion engine.
- First-ever formula car with both front and rear powertrains. A new front powertrain adds 250kW to the 350kW at the rear, more than doubling the regenerative capability of the current Gen2 to a total of 600kW.
- Ultra-high speed charging capability of 600kW for additional energy during a race, almost double the power of the most advanced commercial chargers in the world.
- The first formula car that will not feature rear hydraulic brakes with the addition of the front powertrain and its regenerative capability.

Every aspect of Gen3 production has been rethought, redesigned and rebuilt to ensure the car sets the benchmark for high-performance, sustainable racing without compromise. For example, natural materials have been introduced to tyres, batteries and bodywork construction with life cycle thinking at the core.

Sustainability:

- Gen3 batteries are among the most advanced, sustainable batteries ever made consisting of sustainably-sourced minerals while battery cells will be reused and recycled at end of life.
- Linen and recycled carbon fibre will be used in bodywork construction for the first time in a formula car featuring recycled carbon fibre from retired Gen2 cars and reducing the overall amount of virgin carbon fibre used. This will reduce the carbon footprint of the production of the Gen3 bodywork more than 10%. All waste carbon fibre will be reused for new applications through adoption of an innovative process from the aviation industry.
- Natural rubber and recycled fibres will make up 26% of new Gen3 tyres and all tyres will be fully recycled after racing.
- The carbon footprint of the Gen3 has been measured from the design phase to inform all reduction measures taken to reduce environmental impact, while all unavoidable emissions will be offset as part of Formula E’s net zero carbon commitment.
- All Gen3 suppliers will operate in line with top international standards to reduce environmental impacts of manufacturing (ISO 14001) and be FIA Environmental Accreditation 3-Star rated.
https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/202 ... -in-monaco

That body shape with a large, flat surface reminds me of an aircraft carrier :roll: V-max over 320 km/h is much more pleasant.

Last edited by wogx on 28 Apr 2022, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

vorticism

lol.
𓄀