Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

It was genuine. Hamilton was actually cooling the car at times. The radiators are really small even when you look paat the recess in the chassis. They are pretty much trapezoidal in shape, nearly triangular.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

S D

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 21:36
It was genuine. Hamilton was actually cooling the car at times. The radiators are really small even when you look paat the recess in the chassis. They are pretty much trapezoidal in shape, nearly triangular.
This strategy may have been efficient when they were at the front with no cars in front but now that they are playing catch up doesn't make much sense to me.

Max has been told to as well that you have this lap to make the pass then back off.

Have not heard of Ferrari being asked to do the same but they don't give us all the radio calls either.

Big Tea

S D wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 21:54
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 21:36
This strategy may have been efficient when they were at the front with no cars in front but now that they are playing catch up doesn't make much sense to me.

Max has been told to as well that you have this lap to make the pass then back off.

Have not heard of Ferrari being asked to do the same but they don't give us all the radio calls either.
The new design was advertised as not having the stream of 'used and warmed air' when following, so maybe they took them at their word and allowed for it. If it did not actually turn out like that then it was a bad move.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wowgr8

Anyone who's followed Hamilton/Russell's onboards on F1TV know what STRAT number they're using for push laps in qualifying and the race this year?

Tvetovnato

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 22:09
Anyone who's followed Hamilton/Russell's onboards on F1TV know what STRAT number they're using for push laps in qualifying and the race this year?
Strat 2 for Qualifying, race varies depending on the situation (but never 2 in the race of course).

wowgr8

Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 22:15
Strat 2 for Qualifying, race varies depending on the situation (but never 2 in the race of course).
Strat 2 in quali is surprising, in the race I'm talking about when they're pushing hard for whatever reason, like to defend or attack, what number is used?

chrisc90

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 22:35
Tvetovnato wrote:
Strat 2 in quali is surprising, in the race I'm talking about when they're pushing hard for whatever reason, like to defend or attack, what number is used?
I thought all the engine mapping modes were locked when cars left the pit in Q1? Only re-charge can be changed during the race?

wowgr8

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 22:49
I thought all the engine mapping modes were locked when cars left the pit in Q1? Only re-charge can be changed during the race?
I think the actual rule is not that simple/strict and the manufacturers are allowed to play with the modes in the race. "Strat" has always been Mercedes' ICE mode and from reading transcripts last year he was being instructed to change it in the race

saviour stivala

Apart from engine maps. Fuel mix change was removed in 2021.
‘’teams banned from changing engine modes over a Grand Prix weekend (engine performance levels).
Exceptions are laps immediately after leaving the pits or returning to the pits, during a safety car period, or any lap that is at least 20% slower than the fastest of on track season. (slow down laps are used to recharge the ES).

_cerber1

:wtf:
Toto: “We are seeing a huge leap forward that Ferrari has made since last year,” Wolf said on Sky F1. - Previously, they were about 14 horsepower behind in power, now they are ahead by the same 14 horsepower.

saviour stivala

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 07:04
:wtf:
Toto: “We are seeing a huge leap forward that Ferrari has made since last year,” Wolf said on Sky F1. - Previously, they were about 14 horsepower behind in power, now they are ahead by the same 14 horsepower.

Although it might be regarded and sounds as being a ‘late starter’ nevertheless it’s a start. As expected.

SSScoffee

If the Mercedes PU is ~14 HP behind the spec 1 Ferrari and 10HP behind the Renault , that makes it, at least in peak power the worst PU

Juzh

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 22:35
Tvetovnato wrote:
Why? It's their default quali mode with highest power.

On push laps during the race they use strat 5.

Mattchu

Juzh wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 14:09

From what I gather they cannot change from strat 2 to strat 5 at any point! They can only use a different mode/level when certain criterea apply as mentioned above.

Although this could be totally wrong as I`ve searched for the TD and found absolutely nothing apart from articles about sticking with one mode (i.e. no party modes) for a whole weekend. Why the FIA are so cloak and dagger is beyond me!

Juzh

Mattchu wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 15:48
Juzh wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 14:09

From what I gather they cannot change from strat 2 to strat 5 at any point! They can only use a different mode/level when certain criterea apply as mentioned above.

Although this could be totally wrong as I`ve searched for the TD and found absolutely nothing apart from articles about sticking with one mode (i.e. no party modes) for a whole weekend. Why the FIA are so cloak and dagger is beyond me!
Since ban on quali specific maps was introduced changing between various strat modes only really affects energy deployment and wastegate on/off durations. Strat 2 will use up all available energy in 1 lap for example, strat 5 usually in 2 laps, but this is track specific. In baku with a lot of longs straights even strat5 could be programmed to deplete everything in 1 lap.